Chain Wear: Do I need to worry?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. My sincere apologies if that has been discussed at length. I did a search and could not find the info I was looking for.
    Please feel free to direct me to the correct thread if you know one already exists.

I have a Large Metallic Reissue Camera Bag with Black Hardware. I bought it a year ago for my 40th b-day which was a year away. So, now that my b-day has passed, I'm finally allowed to wear it (I know I'm nuts)!

I am nervous that the chain passing through the grommets is going to wear the black off both parts. Is this a concern? has this happened to anyone? Is the metal painted or is t black all the way through?

2. Here is the bag for reference

[​IMG]

3. I have a 2.55 flap, white distressed calf with black chains. I believe it may be the same as your camera bag chains. I haven't noticed any wear on the finish of the chains or the grommets. I will check now, since I plan to carry it to a wedding this weekend, lol!

4. Thanks. :flowers: I cringe every time I hear it run though the grommets! :Push:

5. Hi JetSetGo! I have the same large cam bag (but in metallic dark silver) and use it quite a lot. I just looked at my bag, and I do not have any wear. I have not been babying this bag, I have been literally using it as a workhorse and throwing it around the house... I have had it for about 8 months and still looks brand new HTH! :flowers:

ps. the metallic black is STUNNING :nuts:

6. Hi Jet, I have a large grey camera bag and I have had it for more than 6 months now. I use it as an everyday bag with my 2 young kids - so far I didn't notice any problems - except the leather around the gromments show minor signs of wear. However, overall it still has excellent condition.

7. #7 Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
    OK, am back, reporting for duty. I thought it would be best to show you pics of my bag. Here it is, 09C white distressed 2.55 flap w/black hardware. pristine, no scratches, scuffs, discoloration, etc. Have had it since it first came out...almost 2 years now. I use it occassionally, since it is not a daily bag size and style-wise.

Attached Files:

8. There are absolutely no signs of chain wear--scratching, finish tarnishing or peeling, etc. What I did find, to my surprise, is there are a couple of chain links which have a gap where they should be closed and sealed with the black finsih just like the rest of the chains. :nuts:!!! I do not put anything heavy in this flap since it is only a size 226, so I think it may have been this way to start with and I just never noticed it, nor bothered to inspect closely until now. It does not bug me though, well, not to the point where I will go run to the boutique to have it repaired and not see/use the bag for months on end. Unless both links, plus the 3rd one holding those 2 together all open and fall out, I think I should be ok.

GULP!

Attached Files:

9. May I ask (and I know this sounds a bit stupid) but does the chain smells like "iron" or "metal"??

10. i dont have this bag so im no help but i just wanted to say congrats to you JSG its a beautiful bag and im very impressed by your self control to not use the bag right away. i know i could never do that lol

11. I have a large Grey, and it has the regular chain, so I'm no help with your chain question. But I loooovvvvve your Metallic Black!

12. Metal using the tongue test. :biggrin:

13. I have the same bag as Schol, the white one with the black chain. So far it is still pristine granted I've only carry it for 4 hours total.

14. :lolots::tup:

15. weh-hehe, Soph, I am almost tempted to sniff the chains on our bag!