Chain durability? Worried about breaking.

SaraEmma

May 9, 2018
hi all, as I’ve previously posted I’m buying a Tiffany locket, however I’m very worried about the durability of the thin chains Tiffany offer. The chain the locket comes with as a set only weighs about a gram and looks very Fragile. They also offer a slightly thicker chain weighing in at 3 grams but still this doesn’t look all that durable... I have young children so this is quite a big concern. Does anyone have any experience with these chains and having issues with them breaking? Will be purchasing in 18ct yellow or rose gold

I own them in platinum, RG, YG and silver. No problem so far. I also wear 4 DBTY bracelets 247: 2 in platinum and 2 in RG. No problem as well. You will be fine with wearing it with a locket.

I’ve also never had a Tiffany chain break. I’ve worn either a platinum or yellow gold chain daily for the past decade, and have two young children (5 yo and 2 yo). It’s never been a problem. And the 2 yo loves to touch and turn the necklace. They’re pretty strong.

I have plenty of Tiffany platinum chain experience. Trust me, Tiffany chains are DURABLE. I don't know how they do it, but I've had everything, literally, every possible thing, pull and yank at these chains, and they don't break. So go for it. Enjoy your purchase! :smile::smile::smile:

Reactions: BigAkoya
I have had one Tiffany break. It is one of my SS bead bracelets. I was playing with my Greyhounds and while she was jumping one of her toes caught the bracelet. Bead everywhere! I sent it to Tiffany and for a fee they repaired it. Other than that, Tiffany is durable and suitable for 24/7 wear!

I have plenty of different chains (sterling, platinum, rose gold) and I've had one - only one - break. They are tougher than they look.

Now the clasps, on the other hand...I wear those out pretty regularly. But that is fixed with a quick trip to Customer Service and a short trip to New York for the item.

Actually, one of my yellow gold Tiffany chain, which I had only purchased 4 months prior, broke near the clasp without it pulling on anything once. I was at the mall and it just fell right off. Thankfully, I was right next to a Tiffany store when this happened, so I went right to the customer service of the store. It turned out it was defective, and one of the links had just popped open as it was not soldered properly. After about an hour of discussing what could be done, Tiffany gave me a new complimentary chain and also fixed my old one. I do think this is a very rare instance because none of my other Tiffany chains have ever broken. Overall, I would not worry about their chains breaking, but if it happens to occur, Tiffany will definitely fix it for you. Hope you buy your Tiffany locket, as they are beautiful!

I haven't had a chain break but have been concerned about the relatively thin silver on my knot necklace. I think the responses above summarized the situation well. As with other luxury brands that have good customer service, it seems like we can rest assured Tiffany will repair the item or do something to make you satisfied.

I did have a keychain break recently - a very sentimental gift that was given to me - and though it was more than 10 years old, they did a repair (charged a relatively nominal fee). It broke again within a couple of months at the repaired spot, and they redid the repair at no charge. Apparently their repairs carry a fresh 1-year warranty so if the repair seems to fail, they will take care of it.