Chain Around Maxi advice

chymera

Jan 16, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get a chain around maxi. I worry it will lose it's shape, or the chain area will stretch the leather if the bag is too heavy.

I'd like to use it as an everyday bag, and hope it's comfortable as well. We don't have the bag here in Australia, so there is no way I can see it in person to try it on. If it's going to be as heavy as a classic flap maxi, then I may as well get that. I already have a double flap jumbo.

Can anyone with the bag please share your experience?

Thank you!

Hi, I tried it on the other day in beige, and my friend has one from a previous collection.

It's really roomy, so you can easily fit in everything you need. So size-wise, perfect for everyday and travel even.

The chains however are quite heavy, I could definitely feel the difference. Was heavier than a GST if you want to compare in store. I'm OK with as as I'm used to carrying heavy bags, but don't underestimate those pretty chains! On the bright side, the chain does stay on quite well.

And yes, it will become more floppy over time. My friend's bag is definitely a lot softer now. Again personally, that's what I'd want from this particular model, but it sure won't stay a perfect square.
Good luck deciding, it's a gorgeous bag!

I just purchased mine and have not worn it so I am not much help. From what I have heard it is lighter than the regular Maxi. I also think it is more comfortable because the leather is soft. I love the leather. So different from any other chanel bag. I also like the fact that it may change its shape to be less square when you wear it. Below is a good video of someone who purchased one from ebay that has obviously been used so you can see the shape after wear. The person that posted the video seems really nice see you could probably reach out to her. She seems to love the bag. She said she sold her Maxi to purchase it. I would also look at the pictures on the Internet from Google images. That will give you an idea of how the bag wears over time. There are a ton of Ashley Tisdale with her bag. You should also check out some of the other threads on the bag and post the same question. If you want a classic then I would go with the Maxi but if you want a bag that not everyone has that is a little edgier and different then this may be the bag for you. Pretty cool as well if they don't have it in Australia. Nice to have what no one else has. I saw the bag on someone before its release and became obsessed with it.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gtVUUACNAu8

Hi!
I ordered a black Maxi from a boutique. I tried on a khaki one (beautiful in real life!):graucho:
The bag is soooooooo comfortable to wear! I prefer smaller bags but the Maxi is so soft and beautiful! I saw older bags they still had their shape!:cool:
This bag is classic and rock! Different from my other Chanels that I have! Good luck on your decision!

of course it will lose its shape since its not a "shaped" bag like classics but unless you put heavy water bottles, laptops in your chain around bag, it should be no problem. i carry mine often to on a trips since its such a comfy bag and fashionable. go for it. you won't regret.

Hi, I tried it on the other day in beige, and my friend has one from a previous collection.

It's really roomy, so you can easily fit in everything you need. So size-wise, perfect for everyday and travel even.

The chains however are quite heavy, I could definitely feel the difference. Was heavier than a GST if you want to compare in store. I'm OK with as as I'm used to carrying heavy bags, but don't underestimate those pretty chains! On the bright side, the chain does stay on quite well.

And yes, it will become more floppy over time. My friend's bag is definitely a lot softer now. Again personally, that's what I'd want from this particular model, but it sure won't stay a perfect square.
Good luck deciding, it's a gorgeous bag!

I just purchased mine and have not worn it so I am not much help. From what I have heard it is lighter than the regular Maxi. I also think it is more comfortable because the leather is soft. I love the leather. So different from any other chanel bag. I also like the fact that it may change its shape to be less square when you wear it. Below is a good video of someone who purchased one from ebay that has obviously been used so you can see the shape after wear. The person that posted the video seems really nice see you could probably reach out to her. She seems to love the bag. She said she sold her Maxi to purchase it. I would also look at the pictures on the Internet from Google images. That will give you an idea of how the bag wears over time. There are a ton of Ashley Tisdale with her bag. You should also check out some of the other threads on the bag and post the same question. If you want a classic then I would go with the Maxi but if you want a bag that not everyone has that is a little edgier and different then this may be the bag for you. Pretty cool as well if they don't have it in Australia. Nice to have what no one else has. I saw the bag on someone before its release and became obsessed with it.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gtVUUACNAu8

Hi!
I ordered a black Maxi from a boutique. I tried on a khaki one (beautiful in real life!):graucho:
The bag is soooooooo comfortable to wear! I prefer smaller bags but the Maxi is so soft and beautiful! I saw older bags they still had their shape!:cool:
This bag is classic and rock! Different from my other Chanels that I have! Good luck on your decision!

This bag is amazing in person. I just tried one on today and loved it. It is in my future:shame:

of course it will lose its shape since its not a "shaped" bag like classics but unless you put heavy water bottles, laptops in your chain around bag, it should be no problem. i carry mine often to on a trips since its such a comfy bag and fashionable. go for it. you won't regret.

Thank you for taking the time to reply :smile:

I think I will still buy the CAM and just find my own base shaper so it's not slouchy and draggy on the days that the bag will be heavy.

Thank you for taking the time to reply :smile:

I think I will still buy the CAM and just find my own base shaper so it's not slouchy and draggy on the days that the bag will be heavy.

Did you find a base shaper for this bag? If so, can you share the info? I see myself purchasing this bag very soon and am thinking it would be a good idea to have a base shaper.

I had one and never used it because it hurt my shoulder so badly 😩 Recently returned to NM. I have several jumbos and GST's but this one is much heavier, although a really cool look and at a nice price point. You should try on in person.

Last edited:
I don't have the Maxi, but I have the CAM (cross body), and what I love most about this bag is the leather. It's super durable, virtually indestructible!

I agree with what you said about it being super durable even though people are frightened of lambskin-this is washed lambskin. I have the mini chain around (doesn't fit much) but I've used it an enormous amount of times and still looks new. It's black btw.

Did you find a base shaper for this bag? If so, can you share the info? I see myself purchasing this bag very soon and am thinking it would be a good idea to have a base shaper.

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I didn't end up buying the bag. I have my own base shaper that I use in my maxi that would also fit the chain around maxi, but I bought it so long ago that I can't find it on eBay anymore.

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I didn't end up buying the bag. I have my own base shaper that I use in my maxi that would also fit the chain around maxi, but I bought it so long ago that I can't find it on eBay anymore.

Ok - I will try to find one. If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know!