Cervo vs. Washed Cervo?

lonelyphoton

O.G.
Dec 7, 2009
Hi! I've tried to search this forum regarding the difference between Cervo and Washed Cervo and only came up with some general ideas that Washed Cervo is stiffer but more durable (less peeling?) than regular Cervo. Does anyone here with experience of the Cervos have more impressions of, or opinions on, the differences?

Also, my impression the Cervo Hobo ("baseball" hobo?) is mostly being produced in Washed Cervo these days -- is that true? If so, for how long has that been the case -- i.e. if I were to find an older bag, about what year would it likely be regular Cervo vs. Washed Cervo?

Just curious and thought I'd see the collective expertise. I tried the search function many ways and couldn't find very much info in previous threads here, but I'm sorry if I've just missed it with my poor searching capabilities! Thanks for any light you may be able to shed on this!

I have 4 Cervo hobo bags - Fever, Ossidato Rame, Light Titanium Loop, and Quetsche. The Quetsche is considered "washed." When she first arrived she did not feel as soft and smooth as my other Cervo bags. She has softened up quite a bit from normal carrying conditions. I have never experienced any peeling with Cervo leather. After I purchased my Fever hobo from Mario's in Seattle in February 2010, I was a bit worried after reading some posts about Cervo peeling. This bag has worn very well with no peeling at all. I do have some color transfer from a black coat but it is not very noticeable. At 4 years old she is doing very well. In fact I think I will take her out for a spin tomorrow because our weather has been so gloomy here in Nor Cal.

I have the Cigar Pekary Cervo Hobo and I love it. I think mine was made out of pig skin instead of deer skin. It has tiny little holes throughout the bag. It is very soft, light and convenience. I don't think they are as dressy as the Veneta, but it works for casual setting. Mousse, I am with you. I took my hobo starting the weekend since the weather has been wet and the hobo will withstand water compared to my other nappa bags.

I am curious though on the difference between Cervo vs. Washed Cervo.

I wasn't familiar with washed cervo
so I asked my BV friends and this is what they replied

Regular Cervo is an American dear skin, washed cervo is from Spain and the material is washed to give it more of a texture. It has wrinkles and is a little bit softer ( if you can imagine that)

Last edited:
I asked my BV friend what is the difference here is her reply

Regular Cervo is an American dear skin, washed cervo is from Spain and the material is washed to give it more of a texture. It has wrinkles and is a little bit softer ( if you can imagine that)

I have the Cigar Pekary Cervo Hobo and I love it. I think mine was made out of pig skin instead of deer skin. It has tiny little holes throughout the bag. It is very soft, light and convenience. I don't think they are as dressy as the Veneta, but it works for casual setting. Mousse, I am with you. I took my hobo starting the weekend since the weather has been wet and the hobo will withstand water compared to my other nappa bags.

I am curious though on the difference between Cervo vs. Washed Cervo.

I am just loving the Cervo Hobo. After getting the Brique, I wonder why it took so long to discover this bag. I now have three--Brique, Fever (thanks to a tPFer), and Bering. They are more casual but I'm still wearing them to the office!

I have the Cigar Pekary Cervo Hobo and I love it. I think mine was made out of pig skin instead of deer skin. It has tiny little holes throughout the bag. It is very soft, light and convenience...
Wrong. 'Cervo' is deerskin. 'Pekary', in the case of these special edition hobos, refers to the treatment of the leather. See here.

I said Pekary is from pig..look like it's an animal like pig but it's not a pig :biggrin:

Originally Posted by lkweh
I have the Cigar Pekary Cervo Hobo and I love it. I think mine was made out of pig skin instead of deer skin. It has tiny little holes throughout the bag. It is very soft, light and convenience...

Originally Posted by lkweh

Indiaink, I stand corrected. It is not a pig. It is made to look like animal's skin that looks like a pig, but it is not. Thanks for the link. :smile:

Last edited:
I have 3 Cervo Baseball hobos--Ebano, Flame (I think--a really intense orange) and Camel (once again, I think--a light beige).

The Ebano is like molten dark chocolate, so soft and like a puddle. The Camel is less soft but still smooshy. And the Flame--much more stiff than the other 2. I don't know if any of them are considered washed or not, though I plan on carrying the heck out of the Flame this year to get it to soften up.