Celine Vs Chanel

sarah7487

O.G.
Sep 6, 2009
Calling all lovers/owners of Chanel and Celine, how do you rate the both in direct comparison:

1) Quality of product (stitching/leather/zips/clasp)
2) Durability of leather
3) Versatility in usage
4) Outlook and image

Here's my comparison:

I must say that both are almost equally good.

2) Durability of leather

I have a Chanel Reissue calf skin, Lambskin and Caviar... My Celine is smooth calfskin. I feel Celine leather can take more beatings than my Chanels

3) Versatility in usage

The Chanel flaps and chain tend to make it more formal and I like that the Celine can be used with casual and formal clothes easier.

4) Outlook and image

Celine gives me a more fashionista, chic look while Chanel gives me a elegant look.

I will compare my Chanel Caviar GST and Celine Luggage since both are open top totes.

My brand new GST arrived with an inside pocket unsewn on one side. This is a bag that was $700 more than my Celine, so I find this inexcusable. I think that Celine quality is much, much better. The GST wasn't the first of my Chanels that I had issues with.

2) Durability of leather
I have accidentally scratched my Celine a few times and the marks buff out. The leather is much better quality and the color saturation is very even. I have used my Celine non-stop for a month and the corners show no signs of wear. My GST after a month of constant use was noticeably worn in the corners.

3) Versatility in usage
I think the Celine is more user-friendly. It can be worn with a lot more things. The Chanel is "classier" and is a little more limited with your wardrobe.

4) Outlook and image
Celine is hipper and edgier, whereas the Chanel is more classic. I think the Celine can be carried by everyone, whereas the Chanel skews towards an older crowd.

Unless you are talking about vintage Chanel the Celine wins hands down

2) Durability of leather

Most Chanel bags are Lamb or caviare , Celine is known more for calf/cow/buffalo so one chooses what one likes and can deal with.
Lamb is delicate (though not to the extent I have read)
Caviare is durable but once scratched - too bad.
Celine uses leather options that are varied but all seem to excellently chosen for long-term wear - I was very impressed .

3) Versatility in usage

I think Chanel can be worn successfully very casually (re trendy) or formally depending on what one is wearing, Celine box looks more formal to me than any classic or reissue flap and the luggage in anything larger than a Mini is a shopper not a handbag.

4) Outlook and image

Chanel is cute/trendy/formal - whatever someone wants it to be
Celine is having the most wonderful season and the bags are TDF but it is the it bag of the season for whichever or whatever reason people are buying them. This means it is in fashion, which means it will go out of fashion. But then again if you own one of their extraordinary current bags you might not care ;)

I think they are about the same. Although I tend to think that Chanel workmanship is better. Or is it because its purses are generally more expensive than those of Celine's?

2) Durability of leather
Celine wins! My mom uses my blossom Celine purse (made of goat skin) all the time and throws it on the sofa when she gets home, yet it is still in excellent condition after 2 years. On the other hand, I have to use my lambskin Chanel classic flap and tassel bag very carefully - store them in their boxes after use, stuff tissue inside to maintain their shape, put desiccant inside to absorb moisture etc. In other words, I have to take care of my Chanel purses.

3) Versatility in usage
I agree with Papertiger that Celine looks more formal than Chanel.

4) Outlook and image
Everyone knows a Chanel purse when they see one. Not everyone knows a Celine purse when they see one. Sometimes I like the feeling of carrying a designer bag which no one has seen before. You will be walking on the road and sense someone eye-ing you and your purse. Maybe they will come up to you and compliment you, "wow, that's a beautiful bag, where did you get it from?" That's the feeling I have with my Celine collection - a thrill of carrying the ONE and the ONLY mysterious gem that others don't. This exclusiveness seldom applies to Chanel, unless you are talking about limited editions. Still, people can tell the CC logo from afar. The excitement for novelty is simply not there. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Chanel, especially on days when I want to show them off. To me, that's the key difference between Chanel and Celine.