Celine Triomphe Box Bag by Hedi Slimane

Hi! I just bought the Celine Medium Triomphe bag in tan which is the unfinished leather. Like others who've commented on this thread, it was it surprisingly difficult to find many pictures of this specific combination online and I couldn't find a single review or video so I thought I'd share some info here in case helpful. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive—Celine was sold out across all stores and the warehouse, but they have a small replenishment coming in the next week.

Leather & How easily does it scuff or scratch?
  • Quality is exceptional but if you're familiar with Celine bags or ever owned one, chances are you know that already.
  • This is untreated calfskin leather. What does that mean and why is it important?
    • Truly, it feels like soft, buttery velvet to the touch. It's a smooth, matte finish, and does not have any shine or coating on the leather the way the black one does.
    • It scuffs easily...but that's not a design flaw. The intention is for people who own this bag to have it for a long time and to use it often. Over time, with use, the leather develops a beautiful patina and character — think of a Louis Vuitton bag with vachetta leather; the vachetta looks more beautiful with time and use than it does brand new. Andddd...
    • It's hard to believe this isn't made more widely known, but this leather is the easiest to buff scuffs and light marks from than any of the other leathers. I watched the sales associate take the floor model that had been handled for months by shoppers (it wasn't that scuffed up, btw, despite being manhandled for that long) and literally make all the marks DISAPPEAR by simply a applying a little leather conditioner to a microfiber cloth and lightly rubbing it in. I wish I'd taken before and after photos so I could share. That was a game changer for me since my main concern was how easy it might be to damage the bag. (Whenever I do it for mine, I'll record a video and post in case helpful for anyone else worried about wear and tear.) That said, this will not work for deep scratches or gouges in the leather so if you want to be able to really beat this bag up—e.g. throw it in the back of your car with a stroller and other things heaped on top of it, drop and drag it on concrete, throw it down a flight of NYC Subway stairs etc.—I'd say this bag's probably not for you.
  • PSA: Every year after the first year, you can take your bags to Celine for a "pampering service."As part of this service, they will condition the leather and buff out scratches and marks from your bag. And, drum roll please...it's entirely free. All you have to do is bring the bags into the store. You don't even need to make an appointment. If you're friends with a SA, they might even send you a shipping label free of charge so you can mail it to them rather than come into the store. I'd owned 3 Celine bags before this purchase and no one ever mentioned it to me before. Sharing here for anyone else who had no idea - I will certainly be taking advantage of this in the future.
Size & What fits
  • I'm fairly petite (under 5'5'') and was concerned that the Medium size might be a little too big on me (they don't make the tan color in the smaller "Teen" size). To my surprise, I didn't find it too big at all, in fact, the Teen size felt a little too small and, IMO, too small to be an every day bag.
  • In the store, I was able to easily fit my iPhone 11 max, my warby parker glasses case, my airpods, my Chloe coin purse / card holder and I seemed to have some room to spare. I have no interest in having to play tetris to be able to fit things into my bag—especially not at this price point—so I was happy to see that I could throw these items in without a problem.
I attached a few pictures from the sales floor, some with details on strap settings so you can see where it hits depending on how short or long you make the strap. Hope this helps! Happy to answer questions.

Attachments

• Strap on second longest setting.jpg
    Strap on second longest setting.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 643
  • Strap on shortest setting.jpg
    Strap on shortest setting.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 635
  • Shoulder carry, shortest setting.jpg
    Shoulder carry, shortest setting.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 612
Hi! I just bought the Celine Medium Triomphe bag in tan which is the unfinished leather. Like others who've commented on this thread, it was it surprisingly difficult to find many pictures of this specific combination online and I couldn't find a single review or video so I thought I'd share some info here in case helpful. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive—Celine was sold out across all stores and the warehouse, but they have a small replenishment coming in the next week.

Leather & How easily does it scuff or scratch?
  • Quality is exceptional but if you're familiar with Celine bags or ever owned one, chances are you know that already.
  • This is untreated calfskin leather. What does that mean and why is it important?
    • Truly, it feels like soft, buttery velvet to the touch. It's a smooth, matte finish, and does not have any shine or coating on the leather the way the black one does.
    • It scuffs easily...but that's not a design flaw. The intention is for people who own this bag to have it for a long time and to use it often. Over time, with use, the leather develops a beautiful patina and character — think of a Louis Vuitton bag with vachetta leather; the vachetta looks more beautiful with time and use than it does brand new. Andddd...
    • It's hard to believe this isn't made more widely known, but this leather is the easiest to buff scuffs and light marks from than any of the other leathers. I watched the sales associate take the floor model that had been handled for months by shoppers (it wasn't that scuffed up, btw, despite being manhandled for that long) and literally make all the marks DISAPPEAR by simply a applying a little leather conditioner to a microfiber cloth and lightly rubbing it in. I wish I'd taken before and after photos so I could share. That was a game changer for me since my main concern was how easy it might be to damage the bag. (Whenever I do it for mine, I'll record a video and post in case helpful for anyone else worried about wear and tear.) That said, this will not work for deep scratches or gouges in the leather so if you want to be able to really beat this bag up—e.g. throw it in the back of your car with a stroller and other things heaped on top of it, drop and drag it on concrete, throw it down a flight of NYC Subway stairs etc.—I'd say this bag's probably not for you.
  • PSA: Every year after the first year, you can take your bags to Celine for a "pampering service."As part of this service, they will condition the leather and buff out scratches and marks from your bag. And, drum roll please...it's entirely free. All you have to do is bring the bags into the store. You don't even need to make an appointment. If you're friends with a SA, they might even send you a shipping label free of charge so you can mail it to them rather than come into the store. I'd owned 3 Celine bags before this purchase and no one ever mentioned it to me before. Sharing here for anyone else who had no idea - I will certainly be taking advantage of this in the future.
Size & What fits
  • I'm fairly petite (under 5'5'') and was concerned that the Medium size might be a little too big on me (they don't make the tan color in the smaller "Teen" size). To my surprise, I didn't find it too big at all, in fact, the Teen size felt a little too small and, IMO, too small to be an every day bag.
  • In the store, I was able to easily fit my iPhone 11 max, my warby parker glasses case, my airpods, my Chloe coin purse / card holder and I seemed to have some room to spare. I have no interest in having to play tetris to be able to fit things into my bag—especially not at this price point—so I was happy to see that I could throw these items in without a problem.
I attached a few pictures from the sales floor, some with details on strap settings so you can see where it hits depending on how short or long you make the strap. Hope this helps! Happy to answer questions.

Thank you so much for all the info!
I bought mine a week or so ago so this is super helpful! Do you know/remember which kind or which brand of conditionner your SA used?
Thanks!
C.

I asked her and she showed me the label but she said it was discontinued. She said that she’s done it on her own Celine bags with a leather lotion she got online. I asked her for a specific recommendation and she said she couldn’t remember the name but the one she bought was from Amazon and was highly rated, and she said that any good leather lotion would work—I’ve heard great things about the Apple brand.

I also asked her about the best approach and frequency of doing this. For example, is there a max she’d recommend doing this so I don’t overdo it? Should I apply to just the spot or a broader section? She said we should do it rarely, and best to apply to larger section than just the scratches. So I’m planning to wait until it accumulates a good amount of scuffs before doing it so I can apply a thin layer and run into the whole area. After the first year I’ll be bringing it in so they can make it look like new

Reactions: clemvccn
I asked her and she showed me the label but she said it was discontinued. She said that she’s done it on her own Celine bags with a leather lotion she got online. I asked her for a specific recommendation and she said she couldn’t remember the name but the one she bought was from Amazon and was highly rated, and she said that any good leather lotion would work—I’ve heard great things about the Apple brand.

I also asked her about the best approach and frequency of doing this. For example, is there a max she’d recommend doing this so I don’t overdo it? Should I apply to just the spot or a broader section? She said we should do it rarely, and best to apply to larger section than just the scratches. So I’m planning to wait until it accumulates a good amount of scuffs before doing it so I can apply a thin layer and run into the whole area. After the first year I’ll be bringing it in so they can make it look like new
Awesome, thank you so much!

Hi all!
has anyone seen this new velvet triomphe shoulder bag in person? I’m trying to decide between this and the Cuir Triomphe. I’m not sure, would love opinions

Attachments

• 6E0CAFC0-0E69-4E9D-814A-076C071191F5.png
    6E0CAFC0-0E69-4E9D-814A-076C071191F5.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 03C04E06-44C8-455F-8950-F09D48FCEACF.png
    03C04E06-44C8-455F-8950-F09D48FCEACF.png
    274 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: joylisajo
Does it seem like all of a sudden YouTubers/influencers have decided this bag is "cool?" I feel like I've heard several mention this bag over the last few weeks. Am I imagining things?

For sure. After two weeks, I found myself “influenced” to check out the triomphe collection in my local boutique when I hadn’t been interested until recently…this *must* be why!

Hi ladies! Trying to decide between the teen triomphe and Chanel 2.55 reissue as a day-to-night bag, both in black..any thoughts? I love how the clasp on the celine ‘pops’ but the Chanel is obviously really nice too as a classic. I’m in my late 20s, for context

Reactions: joylisajo
Hi ladies! Trying to decide between the teen triomphe and Chanel 2.55 reissue as a day-to-night bag, both in black..any thoughts? I love how the clasp on the celine ‘pops’ but the Chanel is obviously really nice too as a classic. I’m in my late 20s, for context
So I don’t own any of these but I’m between a Chanel and this bag too for a day to night bag (also in my late 20s) and I’m leaning towards Chanel because the chain is much more versatile for night. IMO the leather strap is much more causal (albeit still stunning!). Good luck deciding!