Celine newbie looking for a work tote!

LVoeletters

only the best
O.G.
Aug 13, 2011
Hi all! I'm normally in the jewelry box forum, but I was looking at Celine bags for options for an everyday tote I could throw some books into an iPad and everyday stuff like cosmetic case and wallet. I'm getting confused by all the different options. I thought the bi color cabas tote would work well but then I saw people saying/selling them bc it didn't work for that function. Do you have other suggestions or more insight into this bag? Thanks for your patience. I only know about the small hand bags or the phantom. Thanks!

Hi all! I'm normally in the jewelry box forum, but I was looking at Celine bags for options for an everyday tote I could throw some books into an iPad and everyday stuff like cosmetic case and wallet. I'm getting confused by all the different options. I thought the bi color cabas tote would work well but then I saw people saying/selling them bc it didn't work for that function. Do you have other suggestions or more insight into this bag? Thanks for your patience. I only know about the small hand bags or the phantom. Thanks!

I don't know why someone would say the bi color Cabas wouldn't make a good work tote - unless it because you can't put it on the shoulder. I have a vertical gusset (zippered) Cabas that I have used as a work tote for years and its great! I haven't been using it lately because I've actually been using my Phantom as a work tote, but I think I'm going to be switching back to the cabas as we get closer to winter. Its held up wonderfully, and is what I consider a workhorse! I've loaded it up to capacity. Carried books and magazines, and it took all the weight I put into w/o any problem

For what you want to carry, I would think the cabas would be a great choice. If you need a shoulder option, look for a horizontal version since those have longer straps and can fit on the shoulder. I like the gusset version because I can unzip the sides when I need more room, although I didn't need to do that much and usually carry it with the zippers half zipped (I'll see if I can find a pic - I don't know that I have any though)

I don't know why someone would say the bi color Cabas wouldn't make a good work tote - unless it because you can't put it on the shoulder. I have a vertical gusset (zippered) Cabas that I have used as a work tote for years and its great! I haven't been using it lately because I've actually been using my Phantom as a work tote, but I think I'm going to be switching back to the cabas as we get closer to winter. Its held up wonderfully, and is what I consider a workhorse! I've loaded it up to capacity. Carried books and magazines, and it took all the weight I put into w/o any problem

For what you want to carry, I would think the cabas would be a great choice. If you need a shoulder option, look for a horizontal version since those have longer straps and can fit on the shoulder. I like the gusset version because I can unzip the sides when I need more room, although I didn't need to do that much and usually carry it with the zippers half zipped (I'll see if I can find a pic - I don't know that I have any though)

Thank you for responding. Do these bags have lasting power? Do you see yourself carrying your cabas 5+ years from now? Your phantom sounds dreamy!

I'm fortunate to own a vertical cabas and have had it for over 2 years. It is in great condition. I have carried my wallet, coin purse, makeup bag, umbrella, ipad mini, kindle fire, sweaters, water bottle and other things in it with no problem. The bag is extra lightweight so that definitely helps when I load it down. Oh, and the leather is superb.

Good luck!

I don't own a cabas but I am sure it would work well. I like the one with the zippers :smile:
May I also suggest that you try the belt bag? It is not as heavy as most Celine totes and it can be carried either handheld or over the shoulder. The only down side I can think of is the clasp which can be difficult to operate until you get the hang of it. HTH

I don't own a cabas but I am sure it would work well. I like the one with the zippers :smile:

May I also suggest that you try the belt bag? It is not as heavy as most Celine totes and it can be carried either handheld or over the shoulder. The only down side I can think of is the clasp which can be difficult to operate until you get the hang of it. HTH

Do you have a picture?

These pics are a few years old & not the best, but here's me carrying my cabas to work - I usually carried a book, magazines (I used to buy A LOT of mags and almost always had a few inside my bag!), umbrella, a pouch or two, a pair of flat shoes & sometimes a pair of heels, a water bottle and snacks, and occasionally my laptop and later on my iPad (instead of my laptop), plus whatever else I accumulated (quite a lot over time!). I bought the bag in 2011 and used it almost daily to & from work. The leathers only gotten better, and its still in great shape! A few scuffs and minor scratches but no rips or tears or loose threads/stitching.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
The cabas with the zip sides is definitely awesome! I totally agree with the person above about the cabas zip. I have one in goatskin in beige color and I'm a college student. I've put textbooks and a few binders and stuff and it holds up perfectly! The leather quality is impeccable!
The phantom is also a great work tote I heard. I'm picking one up on Friday (I promise I'll do a reveal :biggrin:) It's definitely thicker and more structured than the cabas zip but a bit smaller. But also very beautiful and it's unique and different! Both bags are super awesome! My cabas has a special place in my heart. I can carry a child in this lol it's so big
Here's my cabas for reference! Hope I helped!

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1410325322.102166.jpg ImageUploadedByPurseForum1410325385.268819.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1410325401.150959.jpg

I started using my horizontal cabas today, it's super light, and fits over the shoulder, the only downside for some would be that there is no closure, so your things can fall out, or if you live in a busy city, get picked pocketed! I never zip my bags, and commute driving my own car, so it's not an issue!

if you're looking for a bag that is more sturdy, i would recommend the tie tote. it gets a bit heavy at times, but i can easily fit my macbook air inside. good luck xx

These pics are a few years old & not the best, but here's me carrying my cabas to work - I usually carried a book, magazines (I used to buy A LOT of mags and almost always had a few inside my bag!), umbrella, a pouch or two, a pair of flat shoes & sometimes a pair of heels, a water bottle and snacks, and occasionally my laptop and later on my iPad (instead of my laptop), plus whatever else I accumulated (quite a lot over time!). I bought the bag in 2011 and used it almost daily to & from work. The leathers only gotten better, and its still in great shape! A few scuffs and minor scratches but no rips or tears or loose threads/stitching.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow stunning bags!!! Thanks for the pics!

The cabas with the zip sides is definitely awesome! I totally agree with the person above about the cabas zip. I have one in goatskin in beige color and I'm a college student. I've put textbooks and a few binders and stuff and it holds up perfectly! The leather quality is impeccable!
The phantom is also a great work tote I heard. I'm picking one up on Friday (I promise I'll do a reveal :biggrin:) It's definitely thicker and more structured than the cabas zip but a bit smaller. But also very beautiful and it's unique and different! Both bags are super awesome! My cabas has a special place in my heart. I can carry a child in this lol it's so big
Here's my cabas for reference! Hope I helped!

View attachment 2746195 View attachment 2746197View attachment 2746198

Oh my goodness the zips are too cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it get heavy to wear it on yor arm with the school stuff?

Sorry about my above message ☺️
I have been trying to post a pic of my metallic blue trapeze for another member with no luck so I thought that this pic wouldn't post. Anyway, I think the belt bag is worth checking out. The winter 14 version comes with contrasting trim.
Celine also offers a size slightly smaller than the one I posted.
Now after seeing all the fabulous pics of the cabas, I think that I may need one 😄