Celine Cabas: Scratch marks issues?

mg0312

Sep 20, 2011
Hi everyone! I am loving the cabas and think I will walk over to Barney's and finally get one, BUT only when I think this through: the scratching problem!

For anyone who has a cabas, how does the leather hold up? Does it get ruined easily?

I saw a red celine cabas last month on the metro and it was so terribly scratched up on the bottom! Did not look worth the $1k+ at all!

Advice, please?

There's a few threads on this. Apparently they hold up pretty well, but some styles are stronger than others -- e.g. the zipper cabas are hardier. Also, since they are made of different materials (leather, non-leather, and even different types of leather), the scratching will really be dependent on that.

I have a zippered cabas made of lamb's leather and it's held up extremely well. Most scuffs (and even minor scratches) buff right out with some conditioner. I don't baby my bag and use it pretty heavily. It gets bumped and "tossed" around and still looks great! I have no choice but to put my bag on the floor at work, and there's very little to no wear to any of the corners or bottom. No color loss, no scuffing. I'm really impressed with how well the cabas holds up, especially with pretty heavy use!

Hi everyone! I am loving the cabas and think I will walk over to Barney's and finally get one, BUT only when I think this through: the scratching problem!

For anyone who has a cabas, how does the leather hold up? Does it get ruined easily?

I saw a red celine cabas last month on the metro and it was so terribly scratched up on the bottom! Did not look worth the $1k+ at all!

Advice, please?
I have the nude/black cabas for a month and so far no scratches. Depends what colour you get because on nude the scratches don't really show up but on darker colours they show up more. I also have the zipper cabas in blue and you can see the scratches much more on this.

I have a zippered cabas made of lamb's leather and it's held up extremely well. Most scuffs (and even minor scratches) buff right out with some conditioner. I don't baby my bag and use it pretty heavily. It gets bumped and "tossed" around and still looks great! I have no choice but to put my bag on the floor at work, and there's very little to no wear to any of the corners or bottom. No color loss, no scuffing. I'm really impressed with how well the cabas holds up, especially with pretty heavy use!
hi, what leather conditioner do you use? Thanks!

Hi iluvmybags - I just got a pre-owned lambskin zippered horizontal cabas and it's really lovely. Have you found that your cabas leather has gotten "slouchier"? All the pics online make it look semi-structured, but my bag is in excellent shape yet the leather is quite supple and slouchy. Thanks in advance for your input!

Hi iluvmybags - I just got a pre-owned lambskin zippered horizontal cabas and it's really lovely. Have you found that your cabas leather has gotten "slouchier"? All the pics online make it look semi-structured, but my bag is in excellent shape yet the leather is quite supple and slouchy. Thanks in advance for your input!
I think the cabas is naturally slouchy because it's unlined, there's not much there to support the sides, so the bag will almost always slouch. I wouldn't call it a structured bag at all (the bags you see online must be stuffed in order to retain that shape)

When my bag is empty, it won't stand up on its own, but my bag is almost always full of "stuff" so slouching isn't really an issue -- my bag always stands upright. did you see the pics I posted of my cabas recently? It's about 9 months old, used almost daily and the pics show the bag when it's full of what I normally carry

Hi iluvmybags - thanks so much for your feedback! I have worn my gusset cabas for a week and I'm such a fan. I love the slouchiness and I'm glad to hear that's been your experience as well!

I thought the same thing about the Cabas until I got mine this week! The leather is very soft and squishy and might seem delicate but it's not! Last night I went out to eat and left it on the the floor because there was no room anywhere else (I have yet to buy a purse hook •_•) and when I picked it up to leave there was a large scuff that looked like a scratch and dirt! I literarily yelled out loud "oh no"! (the waiter thought I was insane) I dabbed it down and massaged it with a damp napkin and the scuff vanished! Don't you worry, Celine leather is among the best!!!