Celine Cabas owners - what do you think of your bags?

geeky_economist

Egghead Fashionista
Mar 25, 2010
Apologies if this is a repeat thread, but I checked the archives and while I can find several reference threads and threads on types of Cabas bags, I've seen very few reviews from Cabas owners.

For some reason, I find myself recently craving this bag after several months of passing it by. But I'm a little worried about how it will hold up over time, particularly the more delicate leathers, and whether or not the straps are stretching over time? For those of you who own this bag, how is it holding up? Do you still love it? Are there things I should consider before buying this bag?

I have two, but like syma I don't think I've used them enough to judge really. I did use the one that is a canvas on top and leather on bottom for like 3 weeks straight in july though and it held up really well. no complaints. it still holds its shape and the handles didn't stretch.

and using that one during that time only made me love it more.

in terms of what to consider, I would choose which one to get based on how structured you like your bags. the bi-material ones will remain boxy, the all leather ones will be lovely and soft.

Thanks so much for your replies! I'm interesting not only in how the bag is holding up, but how much use you are getting out of them. So I'm very interested why yours are not getting out much. Is it an impractical style?

Thanks so much for your replies! I'm interesting not only in how the bag is holding up, but how much use you are getting out of them. So I'm very interested why yours are not getting out much. Is it an impractical style?

no, not at all, I just have way too many bags in the rotation :sweatdrop:

also, the one that I have that is canvas (maybe linen?) and leather I also feel like is more of a summer style and print, so I have sort of put it into hibernation for now.

^ITA, my bi colour cabas is made of lambskin and we are currently in the depths of a miserable European winter, so unfortunately it's packed away till spring. I'll have to take a rain check on my cabas report :P

I used to own a bi-color beige/black cabas, it was my first Celine. The leather looks & feel very delicate, it's a big bag, so it tends to crease once it's worn or stored. I worry everytime i wore it, checking for stains on the lighter side, the leather strap though it's well stitched, it's a little thin for such a huge bag. When i stored it, it occupy a lot of space because i have to stuffed it to keep it's shape & prevent creasing. I end up selling it, maybe if it was all black, it would have been maybe less worry for me. I enjoy my Micro more & looking forward for my next Micro. Hope this helps.

I own a zippered cabas which is made of lamb's leather. I use it as a work tote, carrying it 4 times a week with books, magazines, a spare pair of shoes, umbrella, makeup, plus a ton of other "stuff.". The handles have stretched ever so slightly, but not enough to carry the bag on the shoulder or enough to make the bag look any different than it did originally. The bag can withstand A LOT of weight. There have been days I carried my laptop inside in addition to everything else I normally carry. I'll admit that I was worried about the handles at first but the more I carry the bag, the less I worry. Considering how heavy my bag can be some days, I think those straps can withstand a lot more weight than most people think.

I consider the cabas a workhorse and dont find the leather delicate at all. My bag has a few minor scuffs, but those are my fault really and they're nothing a little conditioner won't help. I don't baby the bag and the longer I carry it, the less I worry about it.

I love my cabas - have gotten a lot of compliments on it - and would highly recommend it!

I haven't carried my cabas much either. Mine is a Nude/Red bi-color combination and made out of Lambskin. Very delicate IMHO and I'm debating on whether I should let her go or not.

Mine's a bi-cabas, camel/fluo orange. It holds up well and hasn't stretched out much. I use it a lot (over shoulder and on elbow) as I really like the clean lines, a very fuss free style.
It does scuff easily and at the corners the fluo orange color has rubbed off already but as mentioned, I do use it a lot. I've had it for about 6 mths.

I have total 4 cabas and I love them all. Very versatile and such a great mommy's bag. I lay them flat in my closet and the leather seems fine to me. The leather is very dedicate but the purpose of the bag I think is for your daily use so I don't really take super care of them. My son split some coke on my bi-color cabas (blue/grey) one time. I wiped them off with napkin and no stain and nothing on the lambskin leather. Go for it, it's worth to have it.

I have a horizontal bicolor zip top cabas in blush/black. I haven't been wearing it lately because it seems more Spring/Summer to me (lightweight), plus I have many other bags in rotation. It has held up very well. I used it all the time prior to winter. Because it is so soft and unstructured, I use a YSL makeup pouch inside as well as a Celine pouch inside. Helps me stay organized. I also keep a folded nylon bag inside (Prada BYOBag) for heavy things I may acquire during the day, or in case of rain. I love this bag and think it is a great, classic bag! This bag can be worn over the shoulder, so it is really easy to wear.

I have total 4 cabas and I love them all. Very versatile and such a great mommy's bag. I lay them flat in my closet and the leather seems fine to me. The leather is very dedicate but the purpose of the bag I think is for your daily use so I don't really take super care of them. My son split some coke on my bi-color cabas (blue/grey) one time. I wiped them off with napkin and no stain and nothing on the lambskin leather. Go for it, it's worth to have it.

I'm going to try that, because they do take up a lot of room to keep them stuffed when not in use.

I also have not used mine enough to tell you how it will hold up, but, it is able to take quite a bit of weight and no stretching of the handles so far. I also just haven't used it as much because I have a lot of bags. I will say this - do not get the leather wet, it will bubble or wrinkle and it is not pretty! I also store it flat in its dust bag. Hope that helps some!

I love the Cabas. I get sucked in by all the colors. It really is a great everyday bag, really easy to pick up and go. The longest I've carried in one stretch is one month straight and it still looks the same to me. Only problem for me is trying to find things in a hurry ie, trying to find my wallet at a grocery store!!! Things just seem to get loss in there........................But than again that's why I like the bag in the first place, because it holds so much. So all in all, I love the Cabas. Hope u will too!!!! :biggrin: