Celibate Celebs Reclaim Their Innocence

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
Are Celebs Vowing Celibacy to Make Money or Stay True to Their Beliefs?

By EMILY FRIEDMAN
April 1, 2008

They're young, they're hot and have the world at their fingertips – but there's one thing they say they're not interested in.

Sex.

The newest crop of teen celebrities – Disney's Miley Cyrus and boy band The Jonas Brothers – as well as slightly older stars such as Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima, are all toting the same accessory: their virginity.

In a September 2007 interview with Extra!, Cyrus, now 15, defended herself against rumors that she's pregnant, citing her vow to stay celibate until marriage.

"It's given me the street cred to say that would be impossible, because I'm living my life the way I believe is right and that is to stay pure," she said.

Lima, 26, told GQ magazine in April 2006 that she's saving herself for marriage, despite those who may raise their eyebrows at her sexy runway outfits and her nude photo shoots.

"Sex is for after marriage," she told GQ. "They [men] have to respect that this is my choice. If there's no respect, that means they don't want me."

And current teen heartthrobs, the Jonas brothers, aged 15 to 20, wear purity rings to signify their devotion to remaining virgins until they get hitched – and reminding them to resist the tempting hoards of teenage girls who show up wherever they go.

But celebrity insiders and sex experts told ABCNews.com that the branding of young celebrities as pure and innocent isn't exactly innovative and just how influential these teen role models may be to their younger fans is questionable.

"This is nothing new," said Joey Bartolomeo, a senior writer at celebrity magazine US Weekly. "We've seen stars in the past pledging their virginity – Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears back in the day – and so when we see Miley Cyrus and the Jonas brothers talk about it we just want them to actually stick to it."

Sex Sells, But So Does Virginity

While sexy and handsome certainly doesn't hurt when it comes to sales figures for celebrities – just look at once-pledged-virgin Britney Spears – those stars who take a more refined route also make big bank – capitalizing on parents who want their children admiring responsible celebrities.

"[Stars who pledge their virginity] help win over parents who see their kids getting bombarded with sexual imagery and lyrics," Barolomeo said. "Virginity certainly helps them get a bigger following."

Branding a young star is a key challenge for any publicist to the stars, and pure and innocent is often the best place to start, PR guru Lizzie Grubman said.

"Purity is always best," said Grubman, who added that she has no doubt managers and publicists are encouraging these young stars to proclaim their abstinence publicly. "To have a good girl or a good guy always works, and it's very, very rare that anyone comes out and talks about their lack of virginity."
"Whenever you have a star who is under 18 you usually sell their virtue — Britney did this, the Olsen twins did this and so did Hillary Duff," said S. Tia Brown, senior editor for InTouch Weekly. "It's to help sell their brand — parents are making the decision about what's being purchased and want to see it's a young girl or guy that can be a role model for their children."

But How Pure Are They, Really?

Stars like Simpson and Cyrus may insist upon their purity but, like many things celebrities do and say, just how much of it is a marketing ploy is unclear.

"There have always been squeaky clean young images being sold to America to pacify the masses afraid that rebels and 'sluts' will corrupt the new generation," Michael Gusto, Village Voice gossip columnist, told ABCNEWS.com via e-mail. "Sometimes these images are truthful, other time they're based on hype alone."

And while paparazzi and reporters are always ready to ask these young stars about their sex lives – the details remain fuzzy. The stars say they're virgins, but what does that really mean?

"We all have different definitions about what sex is and what abstinence means," said New York-based sex expert Logan Levkoff. "Is sex just about vaginal intercourse, or does it include oral or anal sex?"

"The fact is that teenagers are finding ways to get around the idea of virginity, because for them it means only vaginal intercourse," Levkoff said.

Levkoff, who believes there is a big modesty movement as a result of the "hyper-sexualized world," said that while parents may be pleased their kids are looking up to celibate stars, they should think twice.

"Just because they say they won't do something doesn't mean they're not going to," he said. "Inevitably, people make all different decisions as they grow up, and they're entitled to do that."

"I think these teen stars need to be a little realistic," Levkoff added. "Their fan base probably knows that [holding hands and kissing] isn't the only thing they're doing."

Disney is the parent company of ABC News.

(http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=4560089&page=1)

While I could see all the things that could go wrong with something like this, I can also see all the right things: if it's their own choice and it's something that they're committed to follow through, I think it's really cool that more and more stars are so vocal about their faith and their values.

Attachments

• Celibate Celebs.jpg
    Celibate Celebs.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 85
I agree with the article, a star's supposed virginity is often used as another marketing strategy geared towards a very specific target group. Especially when it is over-emphasised by interviews, public display of purity rings or public attendance of purity balls.

"We all have different definitions about what sex is and what abstinence means," said New York-based sex expert Logan Levkoff. "Is sex just about vaginal intercourse, or does it include oral or anal sex?"

"The fact is that teenagers are finding ways to get around the idea of virginity, because for them it means only vaginal intercourse" Levkoff said.

</i>

This is what is sad about teens today. Sex is sex. Their parents need to talk to them about anytime you put another persons private parts IN you, orally or other ways as mentioned above it IS sex. I know there are minors on this board so I won't comment any further. Let their parents explain to them!

This is what is sad about teens today. Sex is sex. Their parents need to talk to them about anytime you put another persons private parts IN you, orally or other ways as mentioned above it IS sex. I know there are minors on this board so I won't comment any further. Let their parents explain to them!

I know what you mean, and I agree with you.

Maybe I should update my statement to read:

While I could see all the things that could go wrong with something like this, I can also see all the right things: if they TRULY know what 'celibacy' means, if it's their own choice and it's something that they're committed to follow through, I think it's really cool that more and more stars are so vocal about their faith and their values.

Yikes, look as Jessica and Brittany now, divorces aside...I have known so many kids who have taken celibacy vows, all of them have had sex. If they can do it good for them! Lets hope we don't have another Jamie Lynn on our hands.

It really isn't that hard for celebs like Miley Cyrus to talk about celibacy when she is 15 and does a television show with her father present much of the time. She even went to a "Purity Ball" with her dad, so there is obviously a significant amount of parental pressure for her to put on a good show about celibacy and purity.

The problem comes when she is given more freedom. A lot of her outfits and actions lately have been questionable and she is clearly starting to express her sexuality. Often when teens who have had celibacy drilled into their heads get a taste of freedom they go crazy. With Cyrus, it certainly doesn't hurt that Disney needs some good press after their latest teen pregnancy fiasco, so I am sure Cyrus is facing pressure from her family and her employer.

I just think it is in poor taste either to make announcements about your sex life, whether it is active or inactive. How about privacy instead? I can't help but think that when stars are so vocal about it there is something they are trying to hide or something they are trying to prove. It is in much better taste just NOT to comment about it. That way, no one will be watching for you to fall, either.