Celebrity Eco Hypocrites

Kpassa

Mar 20, 2008
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=564215&in_page_id=1773

You hippy-crites! When it comes to saving the planet do celebrities practise what they preach?

Is the hot air emitted by celebrities when they spout ecological platitudes a greenhouse gas?

If so, then the melting of the polar ice caps just moved a step closer, following calls by Trudie Styler, a leading celebrity ecological hypocrite - call them hippy-crites for short - for the general public to eat more locally grown vegetables.

Campaigning against food miles might seem an unlikely cause for Styler, given that a tribunal last year heard how she ordered her personal chef to travel over 100 miles to make a bowl of pasta for her youngest child and has sold olive oil and honey from her Tuscan estate, Il Palagio, 1,000 or so miles away, in Harrods in London.

So it was hardly surprising that an alert journalist present at the lecture, which was being staged as part of the Earls Court Real Food Festival, had the wit to question the environmental record of Styler and her husband Sting.
The couple's carbon footprint, the impertinent ink-stained wretch pointed out, has been estimated at 30 times greater than the average Briton's. How did Styler and Sting - who have seven homes - square that with their environmental crusading?
Styler conceded that as Sting "has a 750-person crew to bring around the world, it is a difficult challenge".
Her rare moment of ecological candour was shortly replaced by the more familiar self-congratulation and justification, however.
"I would like to think that we both work pretty hard for the rights of indigenous people and for the rights of conservation of the Amazon rainforest, but we do need to get around," she said.
Of course, Sting and Trudie's "do as I say not as I do" approach to the dilemma of environmental pollution is by no means unusual among the carbon-guzzling lifestyle of the celebrity elite. Here's a roll call of some other startlingly hippy-critical celebrities:

I think we're all a bit hypocrytical when it comes to Eco things! I like to re-cycle and I won't use plastic bags but there is no way I will do without my Car.

Also, I will fly to holiday.

Can you imagine seeing someone like John Travolta or Leonardo DiCaprio on a commercial flight? Those are some BIG NAME stars, it would cause too much commotion and potentially be a safety issue for them. I don't blame them for taking private planes at all, but I think what they can do is limit the amount of flights they take (i.e. not making private jet flights to see a booty call, etc--it happens).

It's hard to be "eco-friendly" in every single aspect of life. I'm a hypocrite myself. I want to keep the world running smoothly for my children and the generations thereafter, but at the same time, it's just not sensible for me to take the bus. It's also not sensible for me to get a hybrid car either, because my car now is fully paid off and it was a gift to me.

I find that it's this way with most people who prattle on all day long about environmental issues. I understand that it's nearly impossible to truly "live green" in today's world and that it's important do little things to help. BUT it's so obnoxious to listen to all these self-righteous jerks condemn the rest of the world when they're just as bad (if not worse) themselves.

Well, I do believe in offsets, however maybe planting mango trees is not the answer! lol If realistically you could pour money into offsets that actually work, that would be a much better option for these jet-setting people. I won't condemn them, at least they live part of their lives green, now if only they and the rest of us could figure it out completely.

I always figured that whole carbon offsetting by planting trees was a big scam.

If you don't want to be labelled a hypocrite, don't go around claiming to be eco-conscious and starting lecturing people like some smug a**hole about planet.

**However, this couple has adopted THREE children. That should count in their favor as far as eco friendly goes. Sure, they travel alot, but thanks to them the world has fewer mouths to feed (assuming they would have had as many biological children had they not adopted), which in the long run will save far more resources than driving a hybrid car, etc.**

No one is perfect, but it counts that we all DO WHAT WE CAN.

I find that it's this way with most people who prattle on all day long about environmental issues. I understand that it's nearly impossible to truly "live green" in today's world and that it's important do little things to help. BUT it's so obnoxious to listen to all these self-righteous jerks condemn the rest of the world when they're just as bad (if not worse) themselves.

Hear, hear!! That is my objection, as well. Don't sound so sanctimonious...we can see right through you! We DON'T need advice and holier than thou attitudes from celebrities...do your part, just don't go on about it.

Can you imagine seeing someone like John Travolta or Leonardo DiCaprio on a commercial flight? Those are some BIG NAME stars, it would cause too much commotion and potentially be a safety issue for them. I don't blame them for taking private planes at all, but I think what they can do is limit the amount of flights they take (i.e. not making private jet flights to see a booty call, etc--it happens).

It's hard to be "eco-friendly" in every single aspect of life. I'm a hypocrite myself. I want to keep the world running smoothly for my children and the generations thereafter, but at the same time, it's just not sensible for me to take the bus. It's also not sensible for me to get a hybrid car either, because my car now is fully paid off and it was a gift to me.

what's wrong with First Class? Celebs used to fly that way..Oh, I forgot, then they would have to fly on someone else's schedule and not their own. Selfish idiots!