Celebrities Who won't Get Married !

I'm a happily married gal, but it's not for everyone, and it's a personal choice, what's right for you and your significant other. With high % of marriages that end in divorce, who really cares. It doesn't offend me and I don't see anything wrong w/ people living together in a loving relationship and raising a family. Afterall, it's 2006!!!! I like the fact that women have the option to live their lives and have families the way that's right for them.

I agree:yes:

After seeing many failed marriages in my family and amongst my friends, i myself am in no hurry to rush down the aisle...i don't need a piece of paper to tell me how i feel about my partner.

Marriage is an institution that was brought in by the Christian church a few hundred years ago to make the female of the species feel more secure (After the caveman days of dragging the female back to the cave by her hair and fathering babies left right and centre, i guess i can understand that):graucho:

It's since become a tradition - which some people agree with, and some which don't. And that's cool with me - each to their own.
Even same sex couples can nowadays be blessed - that's certainly against the whole original idea and concept of marriage - so i guess you can make to the marriage process whatever you wish.
It's 2006 and we've learnt to adapt!

One day, i may well get married, but it won't be in white because according to the church i'm not 'pure' enough for that (??!!) so a red dress it is......but in the meantime - if it aint broke, why fix it?:flowers:

We should all do what feels right for ourselves.

Well, I grew up surrounded by happily married people, and in the last 10 years around half those couples have split up. My aunt has been with her boyfriend for several years - they have not married, and I don't know if they plan to. But they're both happy, and surely that's what matters the most. Only the people in a relationship know how things really are, and if they're happy, who are we to judge? Love is love no matter the legal status.

I've never wanted to get married, not even as a little girl. I want to freely choose to be with someone, and I'm doing that happily. I don't need a third person or state to tell me that I can do that and I want to keep my private life private, without external intervention or papers, so to speak.

Of course I'm happy for you if marriage is the thing for you, I'm speaking just for my little self who is opposed to it :smile:

I just can't agree with people living together and not getting married. Not even with Oprah and I really do like Oprah.

Its just not cool though. And its equally sickening seeing all these celebrities having babies without being married. If they all use the excuse that marriage is just a piece of paper, then why not go ahead and just get that piece of paper?

I have to disagree.

It's a personal choice, IMO.

My BF and I have been together since I was 18 and I really don't want to get married.

Apparently, women's health is adversely affected and our lives are shortened when we are married, whereas men's lives are lengthened.

So, what exactly is in it for me? LOL!!! :lol:

But on the other hand, if they can live so well and harmoniously without it, then why should they add it?

My parents have been together common-law for 40 years. They are just as committed to each other today as if they had gone through a legal ceremony 40 years ago. Why should the status of their relationship be anyone's business? They were just as capable of raising a happy, healthy child without that piece of paper as they would have been with it.

I can see that if they were part of a particular church, they might feel the need to follow that church or religion's norms. However, neither of them practice a religion.

To me, there are two separate institutions of marriage: 1) that dictated by a church or religion and 2) that which involves a legal contract between two people. In the case of 1, then the definition and rules of that institution will differ greatly from one church/religion to the next and therefore can't be applied to all people. In the case of 2, it simply states in a more straightforward way something that (in most places) is already part of common-law.

And, one more point - any two boneheads can go out and get a marriage license and get married, but it takes two strong committed people to build a long-term relationship. Are, say Pamela Anderson and Kid Rock a more stable couple with a "better" relationship because they're now married than, say Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, who've been together for almost two decades and managed to raise seemingly happy, well-adjusted children?

(Sorry this was so long - it's just something I feel really strongly about :shame: . Oh, and I'm happily married myself, go figure!)

ITA! :flowers:

Anyway, again, it seems no one can adequately explain why you can't simply get that piece of paper.

Why should we have to sell the concept of not getting married, when we're not the ones who are bothered what other people do?

Nobody's adequately explained why I need the piece of paper, yet. :shrugs:

If everything's OK as it is, why bother? It takes money and time to arrange a wedding and knowing me, I'd want to do it right and it would turn into an expensive, draining, stressful process...

...and for what? Just to keep other people happy?

No, thank you very much. :flowers:

Its not about offending someone, putting them down or judging them, but the Bible does talk about "warning those that are unruly." Not saying people on here are unruly, but since you made reference to a scripture above, I thought I would go in that vein to respond to you. As a Christian I have been taught that is I see my brother doing something that goes against the Bible, I'm supposed to call it to his/her attention and vice versa.

Yes, but you weren't warning people, were you?

You were calling their behaviour 'sickening'. ;)

At the end of the day, marriage (or the lack of it) is a behavioural choice between two consenting adults and if we are not one of those adults, it is none of our business.

I don't have an opinion either way on how others live there lives but as for me, I DON'T PLAY HOUSE! If I'm good enough to lay up with and have your kids than I'm good enough to be your wife. My sister-in-law has three kids and been with the same man since she was a teenager and there STILL NOT MARRIED, and I know that she would love to be, she's in her mid 30's, what is he waiting for???? Just a thought... :idea:

I see your point. :yes:

If it's just the man who doesn't want to get married, but does want children and all the other perks; that's a different story...

...women have to bear the children and of course, a man shouldn't be allowed to treat the mother of his children as a disposable commodity.

Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing here:
If there's one person in the relationship that would love to be married while the other person doesn't - that's a problem that they need to discuss.
If both people in the relationship are HAPPY and SATISFIED with not going for the Paper Promise, that's fine.
A mutual decision to not get married is okay. One person expecting a ring while the other person ain't never gonna do it, is a whole nother thing. At this point, I thought we were discussing people in relationships who MUTUALLY do not want to get married and are happy with things the way they are.

ITA. :flowers:

This thread has been around for a while, but I would like to add that what you feel when you are 20, 21, or whatever is probably not what you will feel when you are 45 or 46. I hope that OPs marriage is solid, and that all works out well for her. But I would like to have her opinion when she has been married for 26 years. It may be a bit different...

Well, I would rather see them in long term, commited relationships...ala kurt and goldie and susan and tim, then marrying and divorcing at whim like so many of them do.

I just can't agree with people living together and not getting married. Not even with Oprah and I really do like Oprah.

Its just not cool though. And its equally sickening seeing all these celebrities having babies without being married. If they all use the excuse that marriage is just a piece of paper, then why not go ahead and just get that piece of paper?

thats what i always thought! what i dont get is how them sharing their lives together for sooooooooooooooo long doesnt add up to them living like they're married? i mean, they do EVERYTHING married people do like buy houses together and have kids..just because they didnt sign "a piece of paper" doesnt mean they arent technically out of the water..being boyfriend and girlfriend doesnt lessen the pain and suffering if they were to break up anyways..