Celebrities Who won't Get Married !

Additionally, (and I do not mean this to sound like a lecture because I know everyone knows this) but we are not all Christians. We are Muslims, Buddhists, Atheists, Jews, Agnostics, Hindus, Sikhs, and so many others. One underlying commonality though that I think exists with all these religions (and on the PF) is respect for others and their religions (or lack thereof). So I may be your brother (or another PFer's brother) in the sense that we are all humans and I respect you (and them) as such and believe you deserve the dignity that comes with being a fellow human being, I am not necessarily yours (or their) brother in Christianity or any other religion.

chigirl said:
Additionally, we are not all Christians. We are Muslims, Buddhists, Atheists, Jews, Agnostics, Hindus, Sikhs, and so many others. One underlying commonality though that I think exists with all these religions (and on the PF) is respect for others and their religions (or lack thereof). So I may be your brother (or another PFer's brother) in the sense that we are all humans and I respect you (and them) as such and believe you deserve the dignity that comes with being a fellow human being, I am not necessarily yours (or their) brother in Christianity or any other religion.

amen. we are all neighbors.

just imagine of Oprah married Stedman sans prenup and they divorced he'd be an instant billionaire:nuts:. Shoot @ 52 I wouldn't bother either.

Maybe if Gayle proposed to Oprah....

I'm just kidding :rolleyes:

Gene Simmons (of KISS) and his girlfriend and mother of his two children, Shannon Tweed have been "happliy unmarried" for about 20 years. It obviously has worked well for them.

I just can't agree with people living together and not getting married. Not even with Oprah and I really do like Oprah.

Its just not cool though. And its equally sickening seeing all these celebrities having babies without being married. If they all use the excuse that marriage is just a piece of paper, then why not go ahead and just get that piece of paper?

I agree. Why "play" house? Just make it official and do it right!

I was married once and my husband died. I was widowed at the age of 31.

I have now been living with my beloved SO, for the past 14 years and we have no need or desire to marry. My SO had been divorced for 14 years when I met him and I had been widowed for 5 /2 years.

Part of me thinks that I don't want to ever marry again because I never want to be widowed again. It was truly the most horrifying experience of my life. I know that is ridiculous because if something were to happen to my SO, I will be just as devastated as I was when my husband was killed. I was with my husband for 4 years (married 3) and have now been with my SO 3 times as long. But as long as we are not married I can quietly say to myself at least I can't be widowed again ....

The other part of me that is against marriage says that it is society that has made up marriage in order to keep families together for the sake of children. That makes sense for people who have children (we don't, my SO has two adult sons) as I agree that it is more stable to raise children in a two parent household, when possible. Marriage makes it more difficult, but of course, not impossible, for one of the parents to just leave.

I don't like society dictating the rules that I live by if I don't think the rules makes sense for me and my life. I don't believe in organized religion and the God I believe in, is fine with me living with my SO happily ever after.

I actually know lots of people living in long-term no marriage relationships who are perfectly happy. I know lots of married people who are happy too. I don't believe this is a decision anyone should make for anyone else. Do what feels right for you. Peggy

i agree with you nathansgirl!! i don't agree with people living together before marriage or having children, and yes i do know that it is 2006 eveybody!! maybe i feel this way because of the way i was raised-southern baptist. maybe it is just a southern thang!!!

^^^ For the most part, it is.

I mean, I got married but so what? My marriage isn't even recognized in America. We did it cause we wanted to. We could have not did it, to be honest, and it would have been all good. I'm in a place where I believe most folks get married for the pomp and circumstance of it... then real life kicks in and suddenly all these expectations that you didn't have ten minutes BEFORE the wedding kick in about ten minutes after. I'm of the vein "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I know people who have been paper married for 40,50,60 years. I know people who have been soul married for 40,50,60 years. And I know people who couldn't make it six months, regardless of what side of the fence they fell on.
Bottom line, a commitment is a commitment is a commitment and if you're gonna keep it, paper or lack thereof is irrelevant.
(And for the record, i'm against people staying together for the children... in most cases, that doesn't work for ANYONE involved, not EVEN the children.)
Peace.

I don't know that. When marriage is done right, it DOES have those qualities. Sorry, but IMO I don't feel any man who respects me will live with me and have children with me, without actually getting married. And I respect MYSELF too much for that.

As for spending 100k on a wedding, I say do what you do. My wedding is going to be a pretty big affair and I feel no qualms about it. Its a celebration. Why shouldn't you "do it up right?" I think the planning should be done in the least stressful way possible. But I don't think planning a wedding and the stress of a wedding has to do with some marriages going bad. Marriages go bad because people aren't mature. They don't discuss things before they get married. They get married for the wrong reasons.

I don't have an opinion either way on how others live there lives but as for me, I DON'T PLAY HOUSE! If I'm good enough to lay up with and have your kids than I'm good enough to be your wife. My sister-in-law has three kids and been with the same man since she was a teenager and there STILL NOT MARRIED, and I know that she would love to be, she's in her mid 30's, what is he waiting for???? Just a thought... :idea:

Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing here:
If there's one person in the relationship that would love to be married while the other person doesn't - that's a problem that they need to discuss.
If both people in the relationship are HAPPY and SATISFIED with not going for the Paper Promise, that's fine.
A mutual decision to not get married is okay. One person expecting a ring while the other person ain't never gonna do it, is a whole nother thing. At this point, I thought we were discussing people in relationships who MUTUALLY do not want to get married and are happy with things the way they are.

This is true, but if Stedman asked Oprah to marry him, he wants to be more than her boyfriend wouldn't you agree? I am perfectly happy if this works for others, more power to them! :yes: