Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club...Come on In

i have wanted a cavalier for at least 20 years, they used to be very difficult to come by...i have had cockers my whole life, and love the idea of a smaller spaniel. the ones i have met are in such good spirits...i generally don't enjoy small dogs...but cavaliers have won my heart.

i love the idea of a rescued dog, as i have done the puppy thing couple of times...and frankly don't need to have a puppy. my rescued cocker was the best dog i ever met.

i hope i will find one someday, maybe he or she will find me.

Cavaliers are amazing little dogs.

There are a few Cavalier Rescue organizations, so if you do want a Cavalier and would rather rescue, these sites are the way to go.

http://www.luckystarcavalierrescue.org/
http://www.cavalierrescueusa.org/

Good luck!!

i have wanted a cavalier for at least 20 years, they used to be very difficult to come by...i have had cockers my whole life, and love the idea of a smaller spaniel. the ones i have met are in such good spirits...i generally don't enjoy small dogs...but cavaliers have won my heart.

i love the idea of a rescued dog, as i have done the puppy thing couple of times...and frankly don't need to have a puppy. my rescued cocker was the best dog i ever met.

i hope i will find one someday, maybe he or she will find me.

You can also monitor this site for rescues:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/

I've been on tpf for over a year and never saw this before! I have a two year old cavalier named Louis. He is a mess but so much fun! I seem to have a hard time capturing him with my camera though. Apparently he is a bit more active than most cavaliers. :P

Windows-1252BSU1HMDAwMDMuanBn.jpg

Wow! I am so happy to find this thread. I'm hopefully bringing home my Cavalier puppy sometime in May.

I'd like to know how hard it is to housetraing a Cavalier?

I have owned Cavaliers (not "Cavs"!) now for nearly 25 years. I've bred two litters, used to show a bit, served on the board of the CKCSC (the original Cavalier breed club) for 4 years, was the interim Registration Secretary, helped write the Registration Handbook, was on the Ethics Committee (was also Chrm of the committee) and the Nominating Committee (was Chrm of that as well). I have had 8 Cavalier over the years, all blenheims and tri's. I now have 3 - a 14 yr 5 month old tri whom I bred, a 12 year old Rescue boy I've had for 4 years, and a 6 year old retired champion (in both the Old Club and in AKC) whom I've had for almost 2 years. They're WONDERFUL!

I have been actively participating in a Cavalier email list -used to be the old Hoflin List, but is now on Yahoo - called "Cavalierly Speaking". <http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/cavalierlyspeaking/> It's a great list filled with many people, both old and new - the "oldies" have been on this List for 12 years and bring a vast knowledge of all issues concerning Cavaliers. It is a moderated List so no ugliness.

If anyone has any questions about Cavaliers, I'd be glad to try to answer them for you, but please PM me - I do not have time to monitor this forum.

yay, i'm glad there's a thread for the CKCS owners! here's my girl Harper- she's 3 1/2 years old now, and i love her like she's my baby, lol.

here she is doing what she always does- laying around with her stuffed toy. she is the laziest thing ever!
2765080563_b472ca5871.jpg

and dressed up on halloween-
2982079752_c43e85db7e.jpg

i'm REALLY excited because next weekend SO and i are going to meet this girl- she's a retired show dog, age 6, that we will hopefully be bringing home with us to be Harper's sister. her full name is Roycroft Made You Look- i'll have to come up with a perfect name for this girl -- maybe Scout? Alice?
3197221626_66dc6ae242.jpg

in this pic she's the one on the bottom right- she looks so little!
3196377623_b88eff1b3d.jpg

Courty, Laura Lang is a GREAT breeder - I've known her for many, many years. She is one of a handful of breeders who do ALL the health testing. I hope you get this girl!!!

Mellyjr, using your crate, consistency and limiting area are the keys to house training a Cavalier. They're not like labs or retrievers - they have no sense of shame! They just cannot handle too much freedom - the guest room or the DR will be the "potty of choice" if they are given run of the house. You want to PREVENT accidents - just don't let them happen. You MUST go outside with the puppy, perhaps even with it on a leash, even if your yard is fenced (they tend to play and forget to potty). Praise her to the sky when she performs outside (who cares that the neighbors think you're nuts!). Dog who are difficult to housebreak are invariably given way too much free access in the house.

Go buy "Good Owners, Great Dogs" by Brian Kilcommons. It's by far the very best book on dog training I've ever seen - wish I had had it 40 years ago - I've made SO many mistakes over the years. Brian and Sarah at one time owned a Cavalier and it's in the book. It will really help you understand training issues with small dogs.

If anyone from QLD or NSW in Australia is able to temporarily or permanently care for any of 30 tricolor cavaliers - please contact me ASAP. They were recently siezed, and are sensitive creatures.

I've been a member of tPF over 2 years now and just found the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club. As you can see from my avatar, I have cavaliers. Actually my ID is based on my first cavalier, Sophie Cavalier King Charles Spaniel or SCKCS. I show my cavaliers in the AKC and the CKCSC-USA but they are my pets first. Most of my Cavaliers are from England including Robbie. As of August 2009, he is the no. 5 Cavalier in the AKC. When you are buying a cavalier, please be careful of buying from puppy farms. They are horrible, horrible places. The problem is that many of them on the internet pretend they aren't puppy farms when they actually are. PM me and I'll help all I can.

India, I'm a member of the CKCSC and probably know you or some of your friends from there.