Caution: Leptospirosis in SF Bay Area

chessmont

O.G.
Aug 22, 2006
Please folks keep standing water out of your property and don't let your dogs into standing water. There has been an upswing in cases of leptospirosis, a bacterial infection that attacks the kidneys. If not caught early it is fatal. It is spread by urine from rats raccoons, etc., as well as infected dog urine. The heavy rains here have made good breeding grounds for it.

There is a vaccine, it doesn't cover all strains but better than nothing. Get the vaccination! It is a once a year vaccination.

I live on a rural property with rats so I vaccinate all my dogs but if you let your dogs go to local parks, etc., they could be exposed.

Hope I am not being too lecturing. I'mm just worried and it is sometimes hard to diagnose until it is too late.

Best wishes for continued good health to your pups...

Reactions: dusty paws
chessmont - Thank you for making members aware of Leptospirosis.

I will try and briefly sum up my recent experience with Lepto:
Several weeks ago I noticed that my dog was slowly losing interest in activities. He is an older dog (10yrs) and I just figured that he was getting tuckered out from long walks with the dog walker and attending doggy daycare several times a week. Then one night he didn't finish his dinner and I knew there was a problem...my dog NEVER misses a meal. On Monday (06/12), my vet ran bloodwork and informed me that my dog was in stage 4 kidney failure. I was stunned. Just 8 months earlier all of his bloodwork had been normal. I was referred to a 24-hr emergency/specialty care animal hospital and he was immediately admitted and placed on an IV and scheduled for an ultrasound. Late that evening one of the doctors called and asked if they could run a Lepto test. I live in Southern California and apparently there had been a confirmed case in the county a few weeks earlier. The next day the Lepto test came back positive. My dog was in the hospital for 4 days while they worked on lowering his kidney numbers. He was released last night and now we wait and see how his kidneys will do on their own...without the help of an IV. So far my vet bills have totaled $5,000 and we still have many follow-up appointments to go. Next week I have an appointment to have myself tested since it can transfer to humans.

PLEASE be careful and observant of your pet's behavior. I am relatively new to California and have noticed there are rodents everywhere out here. It can be as simple as an infected rodent urinating in the grass and your dog walking through it and licking their paws. Once ingested the symptoms normally appear within 4-12 days. The vaccine may help but it only covers 4 strains and has some adverse reactions...so it's not for everyone.

Joey - SVH2.JPG

chessmont - Thank you for making members aware of Leptospirosis.

I will try and briefly sum up my recent experience with Lepto:
Several weeks ago I noticed that my dog was slowly losing interest in activities. He is an older dog (10yrs) and I just figured that he was getting tuckered out from long walks with the dog walker and attending doggy daycare several times a week. Then one night he didn't finish his dinner and I knew there was a problem...my dog NEVER misses a meal. On Monday (06/12), my vet ran bloodwork and informed me that my dog was in stage 4 kidney failure. I was stunned. Just 8 months earlier all of his bloodwork had been normal. I was referred to a 24-hr emergency/specialty care animal hospital and he was immediately admitted and placed on an IV and scheduled for an ultrasound. Late that evening one of the doctors called and asked if they could run a Lepto test. I live in Southern California and apparently there had been a confirmed case in the county a few weeks earlier. The next day the Lepto test came back positive. My dog was in the hospital for 4 days while they worked on lowering his kidney numbers. He was released last night and now we wait and see how his kidneys will do on their own...without the help of an IV. So far my vet bills have totaled $5,000 and we still have many follow-up appointments to go. Next week I have an appointment to have myself tested since it can transfer to humans.

PLEASE be careful and observant of your pet's behavior. I am relatively new to California and have noticed there are rodents everywhere out here. It can be as simple as an infected rodent urinating in the grass and your dog walking through it and licking their paws. Once ingested the symptoms normally appear within 4-12 days. The vaccine may help but it only covers 4 strains and has some adverse reactions...so it's not for everyone.

Thank you for sharing your story, cathead87. Sending healing thoughts your way for your baby's full recovery :hugs:

I actually opted not to have the Lepto vaccine given to my girl due to the possible adverse reaction. I may need to rethink that. Thanks again cathead and chessmont.