cats and the table

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
So Clever posted the other day that one of her kitties threw up on her stove top. That's one thing about cats - they can't seem to be trained to stay off the counter/table. My mother grew up on a farm and she would never allow us to have a cat because she said they go on the table.
My Sammy is pretty good most of the time. I know I have to watch him if there is something like meat around but other than that he usually stays off the table/counter.
This morning I made a PBJ sandwich and a glass of milk for DH. Sammy was laying on the chair right next to the table. I thought he'd be fine. Not. A couple of minutes later we see him climbing onto the table checking the sandwich out. We stopped him before he touched it but guess mom was right. :smile:

My cat Winnie is pretty good about counter tops and stuff, but she has pretty free reign everywhere else. My only thing I have to stop is her wanting to shred fabric chairs 1 in particular in my room. So I booby trapped that with tape and she pretty much leaves it along.

The only people who say "you can't train a cat", are those who have never had a true companion cat. It takes patience and persistence to do so, but it will reward you in the long run. So if you don't want them on the benches etc then teach them that it is not ok for them to be up there. Bear in mind also, that cats naturally seek out higher ground, and you can't really stop them when you're asleep or not at home :biggrin:.

My cats know and obey the following words: down, no, argh, come on, sit, out, good and outside. They also respond to non-verbal hand commands: clicking fingers means come to me, my palm up means stop, hand motion towards myself means follow me. And of course some fun words: bickies, milk, and kisses.

The other benefit of training your cats is that you only need to do it once because if you add a new cat member, they will learn the behaviour from the other cats :biggrin:.

Or you can just simply clean your benches :lol:.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I have 3 cats indoors and not one of them has ever jumped up on the kitchen bench.
I had cats years ago that used to. They'd steal thawing meat or anything else that looked good. My current ones don't and haven't tried regardless of what's up there. And I know they could get up there if they wanted to because I've seen them jump onto other things if similar height.

I have 3 cats indoors and not one of them has ever jumped up on the kitchen bench.
I had cats years ago that used to. They'd steal thawing meat or anything else that looked good. My current ones don't and haven't tried regardless of what's up there. And I know they could get up there if they wanted to because I've seen them jump onto other things if similar height.
my kitty is almost perfect and usually doesn't go up on the counter but every now and then I'll catch him up there. I scream and he gets down. so he knows he isn't allowed but apparently he forgets sometimes

One of my cats likes jumping on counters and tables...but she knows better. So as soon as I say "Madeleine!" in a stern voice she knows to get down. She's allowed to jump up to the fridge and then up to the cabinets, so if she's on the counter and I say "Madeleine: up or down!" she knows she has to decide. But who knows what kind of mayhem she's up to when I'm gone!

My other cat, Winston, is a little too chunky and lazy to do much jumping lol

Wow. I so don't care if my cats jump up on the tables/counters. We even keep a " special" water glass on a side table for them to drink out of. I mean I take reasonable precautions while preparing food but if a curious nose or paw touches something it's not supposed to before I shoo kitty away, I don't throw the food out. I'm just gross like that, I guess, lol. I am much more concerned about my human co-workers transmitting diseases (I'm a nurse) than I am about my animals.

My kitties know not to climb on tables or anything in the kitchen. I trained them from the start. The rest of my home is pretty much open range. I don't want them getting onto a hot burner or into food that is not healthy for them to eat.

Wow. I so don't care if my cats jump up on the tables/counters. We even keep a " special" water glass on a side table for them to drink out of. I mean I take reasonable precautions while preparing food but if a curious nose or paw touches something it's not supposed to before I shoo kitty away, I don't throw the food out. I'm just gross like that, I guess, lol. I am much more concerned about my human co-workers transmitting diseases (I'm a nurse) than I am about my animals.
My kitty who passed a while back used to love to drink out of my water glass. It was like he thought he was getting away with something. I'd let him do it but I wouldn't drink any more from that glass before washing it. When we went out of town in addition to water bowls, I'd leave him a glass of water on the nightstand.

Reactions: BPC
This! Seriously, if I got worried that this lot stick their paws where they shouldn't, I'd never eat again :biggrin: I generally batch-cook for the week every Sunday and without fail, I am assisted by George, Ruben and William who sit solidly on the counter top next to me, supervising my every move.

This! Seriously, if I got worried that this lot stick their paws where they shouldn't, I'd never eat again :biggrin: I generally batch-cook for the week every Sunday and without fail, I am assisted by George, Ruben and William who sit solidly on the counter top next to me, supervising my every move.

I always told Vincent he would make a good boyfriend coz he new how cook just about anything... :lol:

Reactions: sdkitty