cats and the pet sitter

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
we always have a pet sitter come in daily to feed our cats and clean the litter box when we travel. the cats we have now are scared of the pet sitter - esp our boy. we've only left them for three or maybe four days at a time. they hide from the pet sitter. she finds them and sends me a photo. the last two pics were of Jack hiding in the closet.
recently we returned from a trip and he has been really clingy.
we're concerned that if we ever want to take a longer trip they will really be traumatized. or maybe the would get used to us being gone.

anyone with shy cats have any advice?

The only thing I can think of is to leave unwashed sheets or clothes (so they have your scent) in the closet, or some other place the kittens like to hide. That way they have the comfort of your scent while you're gone. When I had to leave mine for five days my boy never came out to see the pet sitter. She just sent me a pic of my girl each day, who would sit and watch the sitter from the bed or couch. I told the sitter not to try and get a pic of him if he hid, so he wouldn't feel like he was being 'hunted' by the sitter. Both were clingy when I got home, but ok after a couple days. Good luck.

Reactions: sdkitty
we always have a pet sitter come in daily to feed our cats and clean the litter box when we travel. the cats we have now are scared of the pet sitter - esp our boy. we've only left them for three or maybe four days at a time. they hide from the pet sitter. she finds them and sends me a photo. the last two pics were of Jack hiding in the closet.
recently we returned from a trip and he has been really clingy.
we're concerned that if we ever want to take a longer trip they will really be traumatized. or maybe the would get used to us being gone.

anyone with shy cats have any advice?
my cat is shy too. When I go away (which is not that often) she is always a bit clingy when I come home at first, so I think that is normal.

I also agree with the prior post that if the cats are hiding, the pet sitter should not look for them and take a picture. I suspect that heightens their anxiety. They will come out and eat when they feel safe. The pet sitter can check that they are eating and drinking ok by looking at their bowels. And remember they have each other, and they can provide each other with some comfort.

Good luck with your kitties.

The only thing I can think of is to leave unwashed sheets or clothes (so they have your scent) in the closet, or some other place the kittens like to hide. That way they have the comfort of your scent while you're gone. When I had to leave mine for five days my boy never came out to see the pet sitter. She just sent me a pic of my girl each day, who would sit and watch the sitter from the bed or couch. I told the sitter not to try and get a pic of him if he hid, so he wouldn't feel like he was being 'hunted' by the sitter. Both were clingy when I got home, but ok after a couple days. Good luck.
I like seeing the pics so I know they're safe but maybe you're right and I should tell her not to take pics
The pet sitter did touch my little girl one time but our boy is terrified of her....before he found this closet to hide, most of the time she found him up very high - like in the bathroom window up by the ceiling

Reactions: JenJBS
my cat is shy too. When I go away (which is not that often) she is always a bit clingy when I come home at first, so I think that is normal.

I also agree with the prior post that if the cats are hiding, the pet sitter should not look for them and take a picture. I suspect that heightens their anxiety. They will come out and eat when they feel safe. The pet sitter can check that they are eating and drinking ok by looking at their bowels. And remember they have each other, and they can provide each other with some comfort.

Good luck with your kitties.
yes, they seem to have calmed down now.....good idea to keep an eye on the food
I'm glad we got these two and gave them a home. most of the time everything is great but the skittishness can be a problem. and I don't think it's going to change much

I like seeing the pics so I know they're safe but maybe you're right and I should tell her not to take pics
The pet sitter did touch my little girl one time but our boy is terrified of her....before he found this closet to hide, most of the time she found him up very high - like in the bathroom window up by the ceiling

It's a hard decision. I'm just glad my girl will stay out and let her pic be taken (she KNOWS how beautiful she is...) so that I at least know the sitter was there. And Jes wouldn't just be calmly lying there for a pic if something was actually wrong with Kip. So a pic of her being calm tells me he's also ok - just hiding. All our cats are so unique, with their own quirks.

It's a hard decision. I'm just glad my girl will stay out and let her pic be taken (she KNOWS how beautiful she is...) so that I at least know the sitter was there. And Jes wouldn't just be calmly lying there for a pic if something was actually wrong with Kip. So a pic of her being calm tells me he's also ok - just hiding. All our cats are so unique, with their own quirks.
yes, I like knowing the pet sitter is doing her job and finding the cats so I know they're safe.....maybe next time I'll tell her try to find them put don't take pics of Jack
When we got them I think she was 6 months old and he was 9 months. they apparently came from a hoarding situation so maybe the age difference gave him more time to build up defenses. I joke with him that if it wasn't for sister he wouldn't have a home with us. At the shelter, I was able to interact with her; he wouldn't come out of the condo. But even though she is less of a scardey cat, he's more affectionate. they're all different :smile:

Reactions: JenJBS