cats and leather furniture?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
Our one cat has done quite a bit of damage to our upholstered furniture using it as a scratching post. We have one leather recliner and that has only suffered small punctures from the cats walking on it.
Anyone have leather furniture? How has it fared?
thanks

I find there's still some little nail marks, but nothing noticable - nowhere near the damage he did to sheer drapes. Our Tiddles doesn't seem to find the leather as tactile and fun (for lack of a better word) as he did fabric or anything upholstered.

Try Soft Paws nail caps for cats. Its safe, each application lasts roughly 2-3 weeks. You can buy them at petsmart (in the cat grooming section) or order them on ebay (much cheaper).

Doesn't hurt the cat and prevents the cat from hurting the furniture. :smile:

Must be just my cats then.... :sad: They don't use them like a scratching post or anything, and I trim their nails every fortnight or so when I'm grooming them... but they still have done lots of damage!

It's really only since we got Bailey, they've been chasing each other all around the house including up and over everything leather! I've got holes and scratches on most leather surfaces... :sad: Albeit, I didn't notice them until I was cleaning the leather couch before christmas!! I was so depressed by the end of it.... I've covered everything with throws and blankets and I'm now looking into getting all the nicks repaired!

Must hunt down some of these Soft Paws!!

thanks but my kitties go outside during the day so I don't think these would be appropriate for them.

Try Soft Paws nail caps for cats. Its safe, each application lasts roughly 2-3 weeks. You can buy them at petsmart (in the cat grooming section) or order them on ebay (much cheaper).

Doesn't hurt the cat and prevents the cat from hurting the furniture. :smile:

sorry to hear that....it musts be kind of bad if you're looking into repair
but then won't they just do it again?

Must be just my cats then.... :sad: They don't use them like a scratching post or anything, and I trim their nails every fortnight or so when I'm grooming them... but they still have done lots of damage!

It's really only since we got Bailey, they've been chasing each other all around the house including up and over everything leather! I've got holes and scratches on most leather surfaces... :sad: Albeit, I didn't notice them until I was cleaning the leather couch before christmas!! I was so depressed by the end of it.... I've covered everything with throws and blankets and I'm now looking into getting all the nicks repaired!

Must hunt down some of these Soft Paws!!

sorry to hear that....it musts be kind of bad if you're looking into repair
but then won't they just do it again?

They haven't done more damage since I've covered up with the blankets, and I've got Soft Paws on expedited shipping so hopefully that'll do the trick! Only then I'll get the couches and chairs repaired!! Hahaha

funny how they pick what they like
Our one kitty likes to sharpen his claws on a rug; other one decided later in life to destroy the upholstered furniture.....I guess there's no way to really know what they will choose to scratch on

Mine did a little damage to the arm of a living room loveseat but it turns out she's happier clawing on a cashmere sweater in my closet. :shocked: