Cat UTI experience?

lilpursekitty

Sep 17, 2008
Before I start, I want to be clear that I am not asking for medical advice here, just any insight on this particular situation. Thanks!

My cat is 14 and, in general, a sweet as pie little ball of tabby fluff. She was having problems a few weeks ago with vomiting and lack of appetite, so I took her to the vet to have a full work up done. When confronted with a vet visit, my cat turns from her sweet little self into the cat from hell, no joke. She goes completely insane. She won't stop screaming, flailing, biting, scratching...she loses her mind. It is so bad that she needs to be put under general anaethesia briefly just to be examined because the vet is afraid that she will hurt herself.

Needless to say, I try not to take her to the vet for minor reasons - generally she just goes for her annual appointments and substantial medical issues like this vomiting. She had all of her lab work done this time and she's in great health overall. She was diagnosed with a food allergy and we were sent on our way with new food. The new food seems to have cleared up the problem and she is back to herself again.

Here's the issue: the vet called a few days ago to let us know that her urinalysis had come back indicating that my cat had a minor UTI and that she needs a course of antibiotics to clear that up. It is not related to her vomiting issue, just a secondary finding. Vet prescribed a course of pill antibiotics. Love nor money will get a pill down my cat's throat. No pill gun, no pill pockets,no grinding up the pill in food, no burrito method...she begins to have one of her epic vet meltdowns at the sight of a pill. My last vet actually used the phrase: "God help you if you ever have to pill this cat." Our only other antibiotic option is a shot, which will require another trip to the vet and general anaethesia again.

I've got a call in to my vet about this too, but do I put my cat through another vet visit for this shot? Cost and personal trauma is not my concern. My cat is just getting older and I worry about stressing her out and the anaethesia. I have never dealt with a cat UTI before. Any insight is appreciated!

I think we might have the same cat. :P My Malcolm was a love bug at home. At the vet he yowled so loud he scared people in the waiting room. He would bite, scratch and attack anyone he could get. He was a monster. The few times I had to bring him in they would cover him in a towel and give him a shot of Torbugesic. It is a pain killer but also made it so he couldn't do much more than meow and give the vet a nasty look. It takes about 30 minutes to wear off. I am surprised your vet is unable to deal with your cat without anesthesia. I'm sure she is not the only demon cat they see. I would never put my cat through general anesthesia for a shot. If your vet can't handle her you really need to find another vet. That said a UTI is horrible. For people and pets. She needs that shot.

Ok, thanks, Cindi! I really didn't know if a UTI was that serious or not. I'll get her an appointment.

This is a newer vet I've been seeing, but my previous vet also said that they'd have to start giving my cat anesthesia because she's such a beast at the vet. She's only under for a couple of minutes. It's more for the cat's safety than anything else, but if there's an alternative medicine that they can give my cat to sedate her then I would think that would be better for her health. I guess I've heard too many stories about people dying under anesthesia, and I would be crushed if something happened to my cat.

My Malcolm somehow ripped his toenail partially off and it was bleeding everywhere. My vet gave him that shot and 10 mins later was able to treat him. he growled a bit but wasn't able to whip around and bite anyone. He had a big orange sticker on his file that said DANGER. lol I have never heard of a vet actually putting a cat under for an exam or shot. I wouldn't put my cat under especially the older ones. I would talk to the vet about alternate ways of handling your little angel. Maybe something you can give her before the visit. There are liquid meds you can just squirt in her food. I'm sure there any many more options and your vet should be aware of them. Good luck.

There was a point in time where one of my cats had to go in the "cat bag" at the vet because he was so mean. All that stuck out was his head, and they would unzip it far enough to get one paw out to take his blood. Between the tech and the vet, they should be able to handle any animal. I mean really, that's their job. Besides the shot that Cindi mentioned, I know they can do a kind of twilight anesthesia as well that doesn't put them completely under.

I have a cat like that too. I avoid the vet with him unless it's really urgent. One time when he was younger I left him at the vet and I was in tears listening to him fighting the techs in the back as I walked out.
Anyway, while I don't want to deter you from trying another vet, there is a home remedy that you could try either now or as maintenance. My two male cats have both had UTIs. My cat is, like yours, impossible to pill.
I always add a little water to their food to help prevent UTIs. Also there is a product you get at health food type stores called Colloidal Silver. I comes with a dropper and has no detectable taste. You can add it to their food and it's supposed to help with these types of things.

Is your cat urinating?
If she isn't and is blocked, that's very bad.
If she is straining and some blood is coming out when she tries to go, that's bad.
If she is urinating normally, producing a decent size clump, then you might want to try the Colloidal Silver instead of another vet visit.

Good luck.

They've had to bag Shelby several times at the vet because of how mean she gets. She also has a sticker on her file like Cindi's Malcolm. She has chronic UTIs and From seeing how miserable is can make the fur baby, my opinion is that I would say most certainly take her to get the shot. While she may hate you in that moment, she will thank you when she is feeling better. Usually the shot of antibiotics is what Shelby gets and it clears the infection right up.

Quick update: I scheduled an appointment for the shot tomorrow, the earliest available slot. The vet doesn't think it will be necessary to anesthetize my cat for just this shot, so that's a good sign.

My cat isn't showing any signs of being ill at all - her litterbox activity has been normal and she seems fine. But better safe than sorry of course. I will look into some natural remedies to try to keep this from happening again - thank you for the suggestions!

Quick update: I scheduled an appointment for the shot tomorrow, the earliest available slot. The vet doesn't think it will be necessary to anesthetize my cat for just this shot, so that's a good sign.

My cat isn't showing any signs of being ill at all - her litterbox activity has been normal and she seems fine. But better safe than sorry of course. I will look into some natural remedies to try to keep this from happening again - thank you for the suggestions!
you're doing the right thing and I wouldn't want to discourage you from bringing your cat to the vet.

But normal activity with the litter box would seem to indicate to me that there is UTI.

you're doing the right thing and I wouldn't want to discourage you from bringing your cat to the vet.

But normal activity with the litter box would seem to indicate to me that there is UTI.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm erring on the side of caution. I work pretty long hours, so I also worry that in the time I am at work that she might be having problems that I'm not seeing. It's paranoia for the most part, I'm sure, but the vet's advice is to treat her, so I'm going to try to follow the advice in case I am missing something.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm erring on the side of caution. I work pretty long hours, so I also worry that in the time I am at work that she might be having problems that I'm not seeing. It's paranoia for the most part, I'm sure, but the vet's advice is to treat her, so I'm going to try to follow the advice in case I am missing something.
oops - meant to say normal litter box activity would seem to indicate no UTI

but you're doing right by following vet's instructions

GL

Final update: My (14 YO) baby kitty got her shot yesterday. The vet saw her coming this time! No wait in the waiting room, shot all prepared when she got there, just a quick poke and back home. The whole affair was so fast that she didn't have time to build up her usual head of steam. Much better experience, and she does seem to be eating more and playing around more today than before. So perhaps she was feeling a little under the weather.

Thank you everyone for all of your help!

Final update: My (14 YO) baby kitty got her shot yesterday. The vet saw her coming this time! No wait in the waiting room, shot all prepared when she got there, just a quick poke and back home. The whole affair was so fast that she didn't have time to build up her usual head of steam. Much better experience, and she does seem to be eating more and playing around more today than before. So perhaps she was feeling a little under the weather.

Thank you everyone for all of your help!
oh good
no need for pills for the UTI?

that's interesting
every time I've appealed to the vet that I can't pill my little terror, they tell me they don't have a shot that will work
good for you

Last edited: