Cat sneezing blood, anyone who has experienced this & can help? Any vets here?

BagAngel

Louis Vuitton Addict
O.G.
Oct 30, 2006
There are 4 wild cats who live in my patio basement & come faithfully for food every day.
No way can I touch any one of them, regardless of how good I am to them they will still scratch badly if you try to touch!
One has been sneezing for a long time & recently sneezing blood! I have successfully got two courses of antibiotics into him by disguising in small pieces of food before the main meal, last course the strongest the vet could give me but the problem remains! The cat looks sleek & healthy, no weight loss. I cannot catch him to take to vet.
Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be & what I can do? Of course vet says to bring him in but I have tried to catch & no way can I do it! I hate to think of the poor animal suffering but then again he doesn't look emaciated & I would hate to give up on him!

Sorry i can't help you, i've never heard of this problem before. But i just want to comment on what a dear angle i think you are for taking care of these animals. They're probably really healthy because of you and i'm sure if they could say thank you, they would.

Maybe there are ways that you could catch him...just look it up online, there are some clever people out there with clever ideas. Good luck :smile: and God bless your dear heart for being so kind to animals :heart:

I found this info on a veterinary forum:

My 8 year old male cat has been sneezing for about a month or two. He looks and acts normal,but even though he seems fine I've noticed he sneezes blood sometimes. I should probably take him to the vet but he is so afraid it's unreal.I sure would appreciate any advise you might have. Thanks Kelly

Reply:
Hi Kelly!
Get your kitty to the veterinarian right away! Many problems can cause these symptoms: nasal polyp (benign growth), foreign body in the nasal cavity, severe tooth infection, sinus infections, or more seriously, nasal cancer. You owe it to your kitty to try to get some help for this problem since it does not seem to be going away. Your kitty will not have to stay scared, as it is best to give a calming sedative to do some of the tests that will be needed to evaluate your cat. If the teeth are bad, they can be cleaned and pulled if necessary. A nasal or sinus flush may be needed, and xrays of the sinuses are a must. Your cat will have to be sedated for these procedures, and at the age of 8 I would recommend doing some bloodwork (liver and kidney tests) to be sure that his internal organs are functioning well before sedation. At Loving Hands, we use gas anesthesia (Isoflurane) which is the safest anesthetic agent we have. Your kitty would breathe the gas in and go to sleep, and we would keep him asleep while the tests were performed, and then he would breathe out the gas and wake up within 5-10 minutes. There is always a risk with sedation and anesthesia, but it is very minimal and should not prevent you from seeking answers to your kitty's bloody nose. Good luck, and please let us know what you find out. - Susan Leck, DVM

Thanks so much Cutie, I also found on internet that it could be nasal cancer! I just don't know how I will catch this wild cat to take to vet. I so hope not he looks so well otherwise!

This happens to Kitten every other year or so (she's 5 now). So far they've just been colds and whatever infections that she's picked up (even though she's an indoor cat). Usually they check her blood, give her an antibiotics injection, and send me home with oral antibiotics. In fact, she just started sneezing blood after the holidays and tonight is her last oral antibiotic that I got after taking her to the vet (thank goodness for me!).

You could get a humane trap and trap him. Although it will be hard to trap just him as you may find it takes time to trap him and not the other cats. I had to trap 6 feral strays living in my yard one at a time and take them to a no-kill shelter.

This happens to Kitten every other year or so (she's 5 now). So far they've just been colds and whatever infections that she's picked up (even though she's an indoor cat). Usually they check her blood, give her an antibiotics injection, and send me home with oral antibiotics. In fact, she just started sneezing blood after the holidays and tonight is her last oral antibiotic that I got after taking her to the vet (thank goodness for me!).

This gives me hope Lori, thanks for posting!

You could get a humane trap and trap him. Although it will be hard to trap just him as you may find it takes time to trap him and not the other cats. I had to trap 6 feral strays living in my yard one at a time and take them to a no-kill shelter.

Tried it to get him in cage take him to vet, put food in cage, he is too crafty to go in!

You need to get one of those trap cages - put the food in and when they go in the door shuts automatically. You dont have to do it, so its much easier.

I know here that you borrow them from the council, maybe ask your vet where to get one?

Goodluck, its so sweet of you to try and help this poor thing!

^^^ It's called a have-a-heart trap. Your vet may have one for you to use or you might be able to enlist them help of one of your local rescue groups.
In my experience as a vet tech and vet student, I agree that you need to get him ASAP. It could be a whole host of things. He definitely needs veterinary medical attention.