cat riding in car

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I've seen cats occasionally riding in the car...usually laying on the back windshield area. But DH and I were shocked and amazed on the way back from Vegas the other day to see a kitty riding on the owners lap and sticking her head out the window like a dog.
I guess with the right temperament and starting as kittens, they can acually enjoy riding in the car.

OMG

While it is cute, I would have nightmares with all the possible scenarios that could go wrong :shocked:

When I moved the kitties from Simi to SD I had a few loose ones in the car----not by design, I assure you. I had to close the windows and sunroof the whole way. Thankfully I had a full tank so there was no reason to stop. It was still an interesting trip-----my tabby boy in the back window and one under a seat and another under the pedals ( a stick shift) and the others burrowed into the stuff I was bringing down with me. :nogood:

Cute but I wouldn't do it with my kitty. It would be a challenge grappling him back into a carrier before opening a door and I'd be afraid he'd get tangled with my feet and the pedals.

When my sister was a teenager she tried to take her cat for a ride down the street like that. He completely freaked out and went for the highest place he could get - the top of her head, climbing her like a tree with claws out :giggles:

I had a cat back in college named Rusty who used to love riding in the car. I would take the bus to my parents' house to borrow their car, go back to my apt to get my laundry and Rusty and off we'd go. He liked riding in the car so much that when I permanently re-homed him to my parents' house, he would get in anyone's car, if they left a window down or a door open. So many times people--friends, tradespeople, anyone--would leave our house and get half-way down the block only to turn around and bring Rusty back! He would wait at the foot of the driveway and when you got home from wherever you'd been, you'd have to stop and let him in the car and drive him up to the house--a whole 20 feet, probably!. One time he got in the back of my Dad's pick-up truck--luckily my Mom saw him and was able to flag my father down before he got too far down the street. Old Rusty was quite a character.

Interestingly, he was in a car when he died--we were taking him to the vet to have him put to sleep (end-stage FIV).

My old fatcat used to like riding in the car. I wouldn't let her stick her head out the window, but she would stand up in the front passenger seat and look out. We'd get plenty of stares and finger points while driving around. Back when she was a young fatcat she'd go with me when I had to pick my brother up from school and she'd jump in the minivan by herself, then would run to the back and would be sitting and waiting for my brother to slide open the door when we got there. She never tried jumping out, or else she wouldn't have been allowed to do that.

Kumquat and I would take road trips from Chicago to Ann Arbor MI, he would be in the front seat and just chill there. No sounds, just curled up peacefully.

One time, during our first roadtrip, we didn't know if he'd need to poop or pee during the 4-4.5 hour car ride so we placed his litter box in the back of our SUV. We initially thought that since it'll be stressful for him, he probably won't need to go. Little did we know, an hour into the trip, we heard SCRATTTCHHH SCRATTTCHH SCRATTTCCCHHH coming from the back of the SUV and this god awful smell prevaded through the car! He dropped a big one.

:giggles:

I feel your pain............one of mine almost always manages to produce a big steamer just as I am going out the door for work. So I have to drop everything and run to the litter box.

Cute but I wouldn't do it with my kitty. It would be a challenge grappling him back into a carrier before opening a door and I'd be afraid he'd get tangled with my feet and the pedals.

When my sister was a teenager she tried to take her cat for a ride down the street like that. He completely freaked out and went for the highest place he could get - the top of her head, climbing her like a tree with claws out :giggles:

ouch :lol:...that's funny and painful at the same time.

I'd also be scared to have my kitty hang out the window....mine have no desire to ride in the car at all
But I'm fascinated with the kitties who do love the car.....so cute!

dbf0f5f3-b18e-4bf8-a9b1-576a92676b60.jpg