Cat intros - how long does the hissing last?

marfi

Nov 26, 2008
I have a very social little cat, adopted from a rescue, who is 18 months old. She LOVES to play - she'll drag her toys over to me when I'm on the computer for me to throw (and then fetches). She jumps on me as soon as I stir in the morning, and she always cries when I leave for work. So I thought, why not get her a little pal to play with? Maybe I'll at least be able to sleep in.

This past weekend I adopted a tiny fluffly little tortie from the ACC. Cat One spent the first day hissing at her through the bathroom door. Yesterday evening they were curious and just sniffing each other (I went to the bathroom and forgot to close the door all the way - Cat One came inside). But now they are hissing at each other again and I put Cat Two back in the bathroom.

They have not fought at all physically, just some hissing and growling.

Do you think it is OK to leave them alone together? I hate to leave Cat Two shut away in the bathroom all the time.

It takes about a week for them to get used to each other's scent. I would continue to leave cat 2 in the bathroom for a few more days and let them sniff under the door. Then let them out together but supervise. I'm sure they will be best friends in no time. I know cat 1 will be so happy to have a friend to play with when you are not home.

Leave them apart for awhile longer till they get used to each other's scent... it might take awhile but the end result will be worth it :smile: My vet also recommend feliway infuser/spray, they use it in the hospital and adoption centre so that the cats won't be hissing at each other!

We have a 9yr old (adopted in Jan this year), and I brought my little man into our family in October. Our older cat still won't let him anywhere near her, despite him trying his best. There's a lot of hissing and growling.

It'll take a long time for them to work out their hierarchy. We let our older hiss at him, he just thinks she's playing (he's a friendly chap too). Some cats end up friends (I'd give it at least 6 months) some don't. I doubt my little ones will ever be friends but Alfie will try his best with Baby :biggrin:

Good luck and hope your two become friends!

I took about 3 months for the cats to get used to each other. The first month, Cat #1 hid in the basement. The second month, Cat #1 kept her distance. The third month, they play together. But, Cat #1 likes to pretend like she still doesn't like Cat #2 when humans are around. They could be running around the house.... laying next to each other, cuddling. And, you can watch them from a distance. But, if Cat #1 sees a human... she will hiss at Cat #2 immediately. :lol:

Ours aren't much better than this...they don't hiss but the older (and smaller) of the two males dominates the younger one...stalks him, itimidates....we separate them when we go out of town. Hope yours do better than mine.

My cat still hisses at the other and swipes at him even after 7 years. Normally he has the sense to stay away though.

Ours aren't much better than this...they don't hiss but the older (and smaller) of the two males dominates the younger one...stalks him, itimidates....we separate them when we go out of town. Hope yours do better than mine.

On the whole its just a big game of pretending neither one exists, the main reason she has a go is because he gets too close and shes in one of those moods. Quite often one comes in as the other goes out so they will have to pass one another and usually Tibs leaves Ginger alone. Sometimes she will even walk up to him and put her nose to his or even sleep within an inch of him (rare though) Ginger just wants her to love him and I think she loves it but shes just an attention seeking brat, a lot like her owner :graucho:

Interesting, Tibs is way smaller than Ginger and he has often come home covered in bites etc from other cats but has never once tried to defend himself from Tibs, even though hes more than happy to sit in the middle of 2 labradors...