Cat Hates the Car - Any Advice?

unbeknownst

Jul 28, 2008
I have a dilemma that I was hoping maybe one of you could give me some good advice on.

I have an adorable Siamese boy named Oliver who, without a doubt, is the love of my life. :P I just moved out into an apartment maybe a month ago, bringing Oliver with me.

I go home to normally a day or two each weekend to see my mom, and I would like to take Oliver with me. He, however, absolutely hates the car.

I'm pretty sure it's not that crate that's the problem, he goes in without complaint and doesn't cry when he just sitting there or while it's being moved to the car. However, the minute I turn the car on - he starts screeching. If any of you have a Siamese, I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about. It's a pretty awful noise. It's a 45 minute car ride home, and by the end of this I am just about ready to shoot myself.

So, here today is Friday and I am faced with dilemma yet again of whether or not I should bring him home with me. :sad: Is there anything I can do to make him like the car? I don't think he's going to get used to it, as he hasn't in the dozen or so car rides we've made. I've tried feeding him treats, bringing toys, talking to be him incessantly while driving, ect.

Also, part of the reason I like to bring Oliver home is that he is very bonded with my parent's dog. Once we get there, he purrs like a mad man and runs all over the house trying to find her. Once he does, he sits there and grooms her. They sleep together while we're there, and just are generally inseparable. That's one of the main reasons I'm willing to put up with the screeching.

i think all cats generally hate cars.... it's just how they are....
you could maybe goto your vet and ask them for some valium, and give your cat a little bit of that. it will calm him down. or I have seen in some pet stores that sell some sort of car air freshener that is suppose to calm pets down.. i haven't tried it but it's something i would like to give a shot.

i know it's HIGHLY unadvised to let your pet loose in a car while you're traveling... but maybe if there was a way you could contain him to the back seat and let him roam free... ? i dunno, just a suggestion... but you shouldn't allow him to be near you while you're driving as he may distract you and cause an accident.

I don't think 45 minutes is too long to put up with a little bit of crying. When I took my cat home with me, I put up with her crying for 6 hours.

I don't advise medicating your cat for such a short ride. Typically, those medications are used for long car rides, so your cat will be drowsy and tipsy from it for the entire day.

you can give a cat a 4th of a pill of valium (which is TINY) and it won't dope them up that much. it just takes off the edge.

i had to give some to my cat 2 times a day as a pain med from his catheter and he acted totally normal except about 30 min after i gave it to him i would find him staring at the wall for a few seconds, but he acted pretty normal, he was just more mellow.

Last edited:
Have you tried Bach's rescue remedy? They sell it at my local whole foods store. Sometimes I will put a drop or two on my Siamese's tongue before we take a trip to the vet. She will cry also the whole time in the car. Sometimes, she pees a little bit! If I try the rescue remedy 30 minutes before I go, I find it helps. Good luck!

I agree with the others try the Rescue Remedy. Whatever you do please don't let your cat out of the carrier in the car. It's not safe for you or your cat to be loose in the car.

Last edited:
I would leave him home and get a cat sitter to come in to feed/water and check on him. Cats do very well alone especially if it is just for a day or two. Sounds like Oliver hates to travel which can put lots of stress on him.

I would just leave Oliver at home. In my experience, cats hate to travel and hate being on "vacation" in strange places. If you're only leaving him for a day or two he should be fine on his own, just make sure he's got plenty of food and access to water. Cats aren't like dogs---they don't have to be at your side every minute. It sounds like you're putting your cat through rather uneccessary stress.

If you get a cat used to riding in car when it is a baby it will do fine. I have had several that go with me too and from work. Too late for Oliver in this case but I would not give up. I would either ride with the nonsense and hope he gets used to it as clearly you and he will both be happier if he gets to go (once the ride is over)
Or
I would consult the vet about a mild tranq-I feel I have heard Valium is not good for cats..not sure but I would ABSOLUTELY ask the vet first and I think they would be able to give you something in the way of meds prescribed for a cat

You can also try covering the crate with a cloth... don't let him see anything. My cats hate the car too, they keep meowing non-stop. However when I stopped talking and they can't see me, they just kept quiet.