CARTIER WATCH TARNISHING

chrismich

Nov 5, 2019
I just purchased a preowned two tone quartz cartier santos demoiselle. The watch was made after 2009 but other than that I don’t know the year of production. It’s no longer being made by Cartier and there were not many available online. I ordered from a shop which sells directly and also sells on ebay and chrono24. However, I know he acquired the watch from another vendor, it wasn’t in his possession until I placed the order. I ordered through ebay for an extra layer of protection versus ordering directly from the dealer. It was authenticated by ebay authenticators, but I don’t have much faith in ebay authentication. The watch appears to be in great condition other than a minor scratch. However, I noticed that the sides of the gold links on the band appear to be tarnished which you can only see if you bend the band so that the sides of the links are exposed. Has anyone experienced that with a gold Cartier watch? I plan to take it to Cartier for servicing, but I want to know if the tarnishing is a huge red flag. There is a 30 day return policy so I still have some time. Also, I don’t think he would intentionally sell a fake watch but its possible he was deceived also. I also noticed that the serial number on the case isn’t in perfect alignment which scared me but I checked the serial number alignment on the Cartier TF that I purchased from an AD and it’s also not in perfect alignment so that doesn’t help me much. I guess I wont know until I take it to Cartier but im just curious about the tarnishing.

cartier.jpg

over time, gold acquires a patina and becomes somewhat copper-colored, since this is on the links, there could be friction. Note that in order to know whether the watch is genuine or not, you have to open the cover and look at the mechanism and the inscription behind the cover, of course at the watchmaker's
it is not necessary to go to Cartier that can be done buy average watchmaker of mechanical watches in town
Regards

I received a preloved Cartier tank louis as a gift. You can take it into Cartier to see if they will service it. However, you can also try to register the watch under Cartier Care online with the serial number and it should let you register if it is authentic (although the warranty has expired). Here is what it should look like for an expired vs active warranty. This gave me peace of mind that it is authentic 73617E0D-F605-44CC-B8D2-57D7E83D91BB.png17879D29-3BC0-4AA5-A254-D8EB6EADC689.png

I received a preloved Cartier tank louis as a gift. You can take it into Cartier to see if they will service it. However, you can also try to register the watch under Cartier Care online with the serial number and it should let you register if it is authentic (although the warranty has expired). Here is what it should look like for an expired vs active warranty. This gave me peace of mind that it is

counterfeiters can also see serial numbers on ebay if someone takes a picture of the case cover without obscuring the serial numbers or at least 2-3 numbers
I received a preloved Cartier tank louis as a gift. You can take it into Cartier to see if they will service it. However, you can also try to register the watch under Cartier Care online with the serial number and it should let you register if it is authentic (although the warranty has expired). Here is what it should look like for an expired vs active warranty. This gave me peace of mind that it is authentic View attachment 5723281View attachment 5723280
counterfeiters can also see serial numbers on ebay if someone takes a picture of the case cover without obscuring the serial numbers or at least 2-3 numbers

Not sure if what you bought is authentic or not. However, as other's have said, gold can develop a patina (or oxidize) and change color over time. I have a gold Rolex that I've had for at least 15 years, and it has oxidized in a few areas. Polishing may remove the oxidation. However, be careful not to over polish the links. Wishing you lots of luck with it.