Cartier watch - Tank Solo or Tank Francaise

The gold will get scratched but should not fade. I have a Tank Solo that I inherited from a relative that is at least 30, if not 40, years old and it still looks great and shiny. You can also easily get a replacement strap down the road as the strap will show some wear and tear but cost is only $200-$300 for a new strap. Mine needs a new strap but I haven't gotten around to getting one yet.
The Tank Solo is new and based on the original Tank which Cartier calls the "Tank Louis Cartier" if I remember correctly. It isn't the same as your 30 year old watch, which may be the original Tank, if it's solid gold (lucky you!) or the cheaper Tank that wasn't gold, but a gold plate and they have stopped making them. I still have one of the gold plated ones, it was my first good watch and I loved it, but I really wanted the gold one... just couldn't afford it at the time.

So, I'm not sure which watch you have, but the Solo is a new watch and wasn't available back then.

The Tank Solo only comes with a quartz movement, I think, but it is very affordable and almost as beautiful as the Louis Cartier tank. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the two apart, they look so similar.

You need to try both on and think honestly about the occasions in your life - sometimes when looking at jewellery (and clothes and shoes and bags, let's be honest!) we get caught up in the purchase and don't think honestly about what our lives are like. I love quite a few of the sporty rolexes, but I have to get real - I don't go diving on my weekends, I don't know how to sail, I don't cross timezones that often. There is no need for a chronograph (?!) in my life.

I do work full time, and need something that can go from meetings to parties seamlessly and that can be dressed up and dressed down. I wear a cartier tank francais 2 tone and love it. It works for every aspect of my life. (except running, when I wear my tag aquaracer)

Have fun with your choice!

The Tank Solo is new and based on the original Tank which Cartier calls the "Tank Louis Cartier" if I remember correctly. It isn't the same as your 30 year old watch, which may be the original Tank, if it's solid gold (lucky you!) or the cheaper Tank that wasn't gold, but a gold plate and they have stopped making them. I still have one of the gold plated ones, it was my first good watch and I loved it, but I really wanted the gold one... just couldn't afford it at the time.

So, I'm not sure which watch you have, but the Solo is a new watch and wasn't available back then.

The Tank Solo only comes with a quartz movement, I think, but it is very affordable and almost as beautiful as the Louis Cartier tank. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the two apart, they look so similar.

Jayne1 -- thanks for the info! You're obviously much more of a Cartier expert than me!! I'm hoping Cartier can provide me with an assessment of which style the watch is when I bring it in to get a new strap. I'm in NYC so I can do this in person.

Mrs. ***** is wearing a Tank Francaise in her official White House Portrait. It is probably stainless steel. I'm not sure Tank Francaise comes in platinum. The 30 or 40 year old watch is either a Tank Louis Cartier, or the Le Must Tank that was vermiel, gold-plated over stainless. I have been considering purchasing a Tank Solo ever since they first came out several years ago. I would like a Tank Americaine, but it is way out of my price range