Cartier watch owners: please show us your watches...

Kind of off topic but I was going through the website to see how much my tank costs now and realized it's discontinued. Anyone here have any thoughts about why some models are discontinued? I bought the RG small, mother of pearl dial. I looked online (other retailers) and the model I have is cheaper than when I bought it. It makes me sad that the value is so low. I hope it's nothing mechanical (although I've never had any issues prior). I try to think of it as a unique piece since it's discontinued now but the value part still hurts. :-s

The Tank Francaise was around for almost 20 years with no real design changes, which is a pretty long span. Some times Cartier discontinues a model as interests change & tastes change, or prior to revising a piece. A lot of women now want larger watches, and smaller watches are tougher to sell.

As for the value of your watch, women's watches tend not to hold their value as well as men's pieces (as there are more dedicated male watch collectors...while women more frequently buy one or two nice watches and focus more on jewelry). In addition, right now a lot of women favor larger watches, and the small and medium size pieces from Cartier are usually quartz, and quartz pieces tend not to hold their value quite as well as mechanical watches (manual wind or automatic).

Thant being said, there is nothing wrong with your watch. There are no specifically reports problems that I am aware of with that model, and it should give you many good years of service. Wear it proudly and enjoy it!

Reactions: keodi and torochip
I finally got my first Cartier item that isn't perfume. Back in the 80's I was the Must perfume queen.
I was interning on Mad Ave the summer of 1986.............or 1987. I went to the Cartier store to see if they carried the Must refills. I recall falling in love with the Calandre watch. of course at the time I was in no position to be indulging like that. 30 years later I am still not, but after turning 60 I figured now or never so here is my new to me Panthere. It is the small one, but it will do. I am ordering a link so it won't be so snug

IMG_20170217_134711656_zpsjsmmvulr.jpg

I finally got my first Cartier item that isn't perfume. Back in the 80's I was the Must perfume queen.
I was interning on Mad Ave the summer of 1986.............or 1987. I went to the Cartier store to see if they carried the Must refills. I recall falling in love with the Calandre watch. of course at the time I was in no position to be indulging like that. 30 years later I am still not, but after turning 60 I figured now or never so here is my new to me Panthere. It is the small one, but it will do. I am ordering a link so it won't be so snug

View attachment 3608964

Congratulations! what a beautiful watch! I believe Cartier just re-introduced this watch back into their collection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetsetmax
Just a FYI for who might be thinking about the same as I did: I have a Tank (steel with steel bracelet) for which I decided to buy the black (crocodile?) leather strap and its buckle so that I could exchange and give a fresh look from time to time.

That trick won't come cheap or quick: the leather strap itself was readily available and costed 240 EUR (nothing strange here) but the metal buckle (steel too) had to be ordered since it's considered to be a repair piece (2-3 weeks) and costed an additional 360 EUR!

Is it just me that 600 EUR for having the leather strap+buckle seems a bit too pricey?