Cartier vs Tiffany Co...what do you like about them, what not, why ?..

Blueboxes

Jan 21, 2013
So...who is your favorite ?

I love Tiffany's diamond jewelry set in Platinum, it's beautiful, delicate and well-made plus Tiffany diamonds are the brightest. Overall their designs are dainty and beautiful, and wont go out of style easily.I must say, that their silver jewelry isn't my cup of tea. To me it's way overpriced for sterling silver, and sort of mass-produced in Italy. It tarnishes faster then other jewelry too which is odd. I find the Customer Service excellent ( most of the time) and of course, their refund policy is pretty handy ;)
While their silver isn't necessarily for me, I love the fact that almost anybody can own a piece or get a magic blue box present. While its definitely a marketing thing, I am a sucker for nice packaging and the blue box with white bow...beautiful. I don't know many girls that wouldn't love some Tiffany's for V day :smile:

Cartier...well I think personally that their pink gold is the most exquisite gold tone. It's ever so warm and soft, it isn't coppery at all but just a soft pink hue. I am lucky, as its perfect against my skin. Not too blending ( like Tiffany Co) or standing out like YG. Just perfect. I don't like all their designs. Some of them , like the panther, too much for the average person. They have some exquisite lines like the orchidee line or the simplicity of the love or the novelty of the clou for example. Their diamonds are of course outstanding, but so are their prices. Their Sa can be abit arrogant and unhelpful if they don't think you are loaded, lol
They certainly have abit of an elitist attitude and you would be hard pushed to find a piece of jewelry below 1000$, putting it out of reach for many people. Their boxes ( here we go again ) are beautiful and very French.
They seem to produce less the T Co, tome that's a bonus, but one so entires has to wait months for a particular piece. More expensive then TCo overall,but craftsmanship at its best.

What do you all think ?

Well, when I was in law school EVERYONE was in to the Return to Tiffany Chokers in silver.

I got one in gold and I still wear it sometimes, but to me it is a little dated now. I also have the mini heart tag earrings and the small heart tag in 18k. I still like them, but to me now they give off a more "teenage/younger girl" vibe.

My DH also ridicules me for spending over 6,000 on something he calls "a knock off of dog tags." I keep trying to tell him when I bought the necklace it was only about 2,000 cause I am old LOL.

But anyway, at this point in my life Cartier looks classier but I agree that lots of times are way too expensive. I have a baby love bracelet in YG and am hoping to expand my collection!:graucho:

With regard to designs, I most often prefer Tiffany's because their jewellery looks so delicate and feminine. I also love the blue boxes and think that their diamonds as well as their settings are of an outstanding quality. Customer service is great, and so is their exchange policy.

I don't like many Cartier designs, but I LOVE the Love bracelets! So far, I've experienced excellent customer service, but I'm not a fan of their exchange policy. Of course, Cartier tends to be more expensive than Tiffany's, so that's not a good thing either.

With regard to designs, I most often prefer Tiffany's because their jewellery looks so delicate and feminine. I also love the blue boxes and think that their diamonds as well as their settings are of an outstanding quality. Customer service is great, and so is their exchange policy.

I don't like many Cartier designs, but I LOVE the Love bracelets! So far, I've experienced excellent customer service, but I'm not a fan of their exchange policy. Of course, Cartier tends to be more expensive than Tiffany's, so that's not a good thing either.

I agree there are more things from Tiffanys that I like and want. Especially diamond jewelry, I like Tiffanys designs better. Cartier has nice watches, but in terms of jewelry, maybe the Love bracelet is the only thing I want to get.

I have both Tiffany and cartier pieces, so that's a tough choice. However I do agree with others that T design is elegant and simle, yet feminist, while C is somehow not suitable for average women, ie. quite bulky. I love C watches while for jewelry the trinity ring is the only one I love. But I adore lots of T platinum pieces, and quite versatile imo.

Tiffany Pros: Personally, I love the simplicity and wear-ability of Tiffany & Co. designs. Most pieces are very comfortable. Their diamonds sparkle like crazy regardless of the quality. Customer Service will usually make right any problems a client might have, and they have a wonderful returns/exchanges policy. Of course, the signature blue box and their exquisite mailings feel special. Should you decide that you don't love something forever, the resale value is decent.

Tiffany Cons: Many (not all) of the sales associates are often rude or dismissive unless you're obviously spending a large sum. Items are very often out-of-stock and getting them again takes an average of two weeks. The chains are a bit thin for my liking and I dislike very much the spring ring clasp on a luxury item!

Cartier Pros: Cartier's designs are very elegant and classic. Their pieces aren't something that will go out of style or become a "fad" (like the Return to Tiffany line in the 90's). Their gold and rose gold are softer hues than most, making them very wearable for most people. Everything about the brand, their jewelry, even their boxes scream: luxury! And I love, love, love their chains and the fact that they use a lobster clasp with the signature tag!! Also, Cartier has an excellent re-sale value.

Cartier Cons: The salespeople are impossible, unless you find a rare gem; They want you to spend a fortune and if you're not, then you're not worth their time. Items are HIGHLY over-priced, simply because you're paying for the brand name. Servicing, sizing, or repairing and item takes forever and is usually a complicated process that involves sending your item away for a length of time.

I have both but for Tiffany, prefer the more simple pieces or statement designer pieces (Shlumberger) instead of the keys, hearts, silver charms and such. I adore my two Victoria diamond pieces but don't crave any more.
Cartier seems to fit in with my personal style a bit more. I adore the Panthere, Love and Clou collections. I love the strong, simplicity of them. And the watches are stunning!

Tiffany -
Pros:
They have a lot to offer in terms of selction
SAs have always been helpful and friendly
Gold pieces are more affordable than Cartier
Nice quality of diamonds
Good return policy

Cons:
Too much silver has diluted the Tiffany name
Tired of the same old designs
Resale value seems worse than Cartier

Cartier-
Pros:
Much more exclusive
I love their masculine/edgy pieces they have to offer such as Panthere, Clou and Love.
Beautiful watches
My SA is great and I always feel well taken care of here.

Cons:
Pricier
Takes several months to order a watch strap
Return policy sucks unless you buy online

Cartier (my favorite jeweller by far)
- What I like : they have many pieces (love bracelet, trinity ring, 1895 solitaire...) that have become classics, the quality is top and most of their stuff is easy to wear (not too blingy)
- What I don't like: may not appeal to young women (I got my first Cartier ring when I turned 30)

Tiffany (Don't have any of their stuff...yet)
- What I like: some classic pieces, many lines to choose from
- What I don't like: their silver line cheapens the brand IMO (it doesn't feel so special to own Tiffany when just everybody seem to already have own silver pieces)