Cartier VAT refund

Just another question....

Travelling to Thailand... wanting to buy a love bracelet. Can I wear this on the flight home or does it need to be presented for vat refund unused in box?! Also.... will security potentially confiscate the screwdriver if it's in my hand luggage? Thanks!

Last edited:
I purchased two items in Bangkok. It has been a month and I still have not received the VAT on my credit card. For my purchase in South Korea, I got my VAT back to my credit card within one week. How long did it take for VAT to return to your credit card for Thailand purchases? I’m worried they forgot about my paperwork and I won’t get the refund.

Travelling to Thailand... wanting to buy a love bracelet. Can I wear this on the flight home or does it need to be presented for vat refund unused in box?! Also.... will security potentially confiscate the screwdriver if it's in my hand luggage? Thanks!
I wore my items on my wrist/hand and they didn’t seem to care. They didn’t ask for the box.

I was told by a European SA that your purchase must be left untouched in its original packaging.

Also, I never had any issues passing through security with my Love screwdriver. However, the bracelet itself did cause beeping.

I also heard it should be new and in its original boxing. I didn´t want to risk not getting the VAT refund coming from Germany and kept it in the box but I took my bracelets always with me in the hand luggage.

I generally keep everything in box in case they need to check it manually (in France they have kiosks, but sometimes you have to see the actual agent for them to verify that the purchase is new/was bought during the trip). I find it to be less stress that way. If the screwdriver is in your hand luggage I don’t think that will flag TSA when you are going through security. If it does, just take it out and have them run it through again. I’ve never had TSA try to take any jewelry related items, but they do love to confiscate my toiletries :doh:

Oooo thanks! Good to know!

Did you end up getting the VAT back??
For South Korea, I processed everything electronically and got the VAT back within 1 weeks. For Thailand, it’s been 6 weeks and still no VAT refund. They are very slow…everything was done by paper so who knows when it’ll come back. Anyone have experience with wait times for Thailand VAT refund?