Cartier VAT refund

Sep 25, 2010
Hello all,

We are planning on going to Greece for our honeymoon in September 2017. Has anyone gone through the VAT process for a Cartier piece? If so, what was the final cost of the bracelet after VAT. (Greece's VAT rate is 24%)

TIA.

Reactions: Namwan-
Hi - while I have never done VAT refunds in Greece, I have in other places in the EU. Refunds tend to vary between 10-15% depending on the country. Google will be your best friend in this. I was in France over the weekend and had I pulled the trigger on the love cuff it would've been around 3900 euros after the refund.

I bought my second love bracelet in Athens back in 2014. It is the 10 diamond YG. The price of the bracelet was 13,000 Euros. If I remember correctly the VAT was put back on our card. The amount was a little over 2,700 euros. Hope that helps!!!

I am planning to holiday in South Africa and I am thinking of buying a Cartier JUC YG bracelet when I am in Jo'burg. My question is whether anyone has bought any expensive jewelry items in South Africa and managed to receive the VAT refund on departure. Were there any issues? I've read some mixed experiences on tripadvisor forum on VAT refund in South Africa and wondered if anyone had experience claiming VAT refund in SA.

Thanks!!

Is there any store in Paris where I can purchase items without VAT as a tourist?

I have heard that Chanel at Rue Cambon allows tourists to buy at VAT free prices, provided that they VAt form is scanned upon departure from CDG, and I was wondering if Cartier does something similar?

TIA

Is there any store in Paris where I can purchase items without VAT as a tourist?

I have heard that Chanel at Rue Cambon allows tourists to buy at VAT free prices, provided that they VAt form is scanned upon departure from CDG, and I was wondering if Cartier does something similar?

TIA
You can buy at any Cartier boutique in Europe and fill out the VAT refund form with your SA. Then, when you get to the airport on the way out of the EU, you scan your forms and you will receive your refund in cash or via credit card shortly after. It’s not the full VAT amount: it’s usually around 12% (10% for Hermès).

I’m in Germany for work this week, from the United States, can I get a refund at the airport when I fly back on the VAT if I purchase a Cartier item? And if so, what is the current rate? Has anyone done this before and is it a difficult process? Thank you!

I’m in Germany for work this week, from the United States, can I get a refund at the airport when I fly back on the VAT if I purchase a Cartier item? And if so, what is the current rate? Has anyone done this before and is it a difficult process? Thank you!
Yes you should be able to. It’s not difficult but I always get stressed out about bureaucratic processes. Short story: when you buy your item, bring your passport to Cartier and tell them you’ll get a vat refund at the airport. They’ll prepare paperwork for you to take to the airport when you depart the country. There will be a customs/vat refund kiosk at the airport and you just give them the paperwork (bring your item as they may ask to see) and you’re good to go. It’s not complicated but I would look up where the kiosk is at the airport ahead of time and budget extra time in case there are lines. I’ve done vat refund at Munich airport, after security, and there was no line at all but you never know.

Reactions: south-of-france
PS very important: you must declare your purchases when you enter the US (they give you that form in the plane or do it at the global entry kiosk). You may or may not have to pay duties on purchases over $800. It seems to depend on the custom officer’s mood whether you get charged or not. Tbh I don’t believe there is a great savings with buying Cartier in Europe last time I checked.

Reactions: avcbob
Also, I believe you have to get the VAT paperwork processed in the last EU airport you go thru before flying to the US. For instance, if your flight goes thru Paris, you need to do the paperwork submitted in Paris. Hopefully, you have a nonstop from Germany

Also, I believe you have to get the VAT paperwork processed in the last EU airport you go thru before flying to the US. For instance, if your flight goes thru Paris, you need to do the paperwork submitted in Paris. Hopefully, you have a nonstop from Germany

You can usually claim at the 1st EU departure if it's just a layover... not all airports have customs kiosk after security so it might not even be possible to do it at the layover. I've had to do this a few times and they always understood.

This process was so simple this time -- took passport to Cartier, bought something, had the paperwork filled out, carried the goods with us - scanned the form at the kiosk at CDG, received the green light to go and five days later, our credit card refund was issued. This is completely different from my December experience at FCO which was a complete cluster and I can't even remember what I purchased, but the line was horrific.

I think Cartier in France was 12%

Reactions: opensesame
This process was so simple this time -- took passport to Cartier, bought something, had the paperwork filled out, carried the goods with us - scanned the form at the kiosk at CDG, received the green light to go and five days later, our credit card refund was issued. This is completely different from my December experience at FCO which was a complete cluster and I can't even remember what I purchased, but the line was horrific.

I think only CDG has those PABLO machines unfortunately. I agree though, it's sooo much better than the normal process. Everywhere else, I plan my flight departure times around customs lines for VAT refunds. :sad:

H

Hi, was the refund 12% after fees (charged by planet payment/ whoever operates the pablo machines)?