Cartier Trinity Ring Question

Brennamom

O.G.
May 8, 2007
Hi All!

I couldn't find the answer doing a search, so if this has been discussed before, just point me in the right direction...

I've seen Cartier Trinity rings with Must de Cartier and without. What is the difference, please? Is Must a "secondary label" so to speak or vice-versa for the non-branded Must? Is there usually a price diff?

Thanks!!

snowshiro

Oct 18, 2009
I think it is just age difference ("Les Must" ones are older - all Cartier brand either way) The new ones don't say that anymore... but maybe someone here is expert and can say if this is right.

Brennamom

O.G.
May 8, 2007
Thanks Snowshiro! I'd be interested to learn when they stopped using the Les Must, too.

Leah

Mar 22, 2006
I believe they slowly phased out "Les Must..." in the late 70s, early 80s at most.

Jayne1

Working Canvas
O.G.
Aug 2, 2006
Toronto
Thank goodness they phased out, "Les Must..." I didn't like it!

I had an old Trinity ring that didn't say "Les Must..." because it was from the mid '70s or so. Then, at the beginning of the '80s (I'm estimating) they started with it after they began a campaign about the 'must haves' of Cartier, kind of for the younger crowd at the time. Now it's not on there anymore... and I'm glad. But I don't know when they stopped it.

snowshiro

Oct 18, 2009
Interesting. So they start and stop it and now the oldest and newest look the same. I think that would make the ones with the "Les Must" the most unique since they were made for the least total years?

Jayne1

Working Canvas
O.G.
Aug 2, 2006
Toronto
No, the old ones, of which I have a few... had nothing written on them. I kind of liked it that way. Then they added "Les Must..." for a decade or so... and now they just have "Cartier" written on the rings.

Leah

Mar 22, 2006
I am obsessed with Cartier, my very very favorite among the older jewelers, so this piqued my interest (am glad someone started this thread :biggrin:)

Found this piece of trivia below. And here's a photo of the book Les Must de Cartier (now out of stock sadly)

Robert Hocq becomes aware that a revolution in the luxury industry is in the making and creates “Les Must de Cartier”, an immediate evocation of an international expression, to meet the needs of the new functional and international luxury. The first “Must de Cartier” boutique is opened in Biarritz, followed by one in Singapore.

Jayne1

Working Canvas
O.G.
Aug 2, 2006
Toronto
^^ In that case, I was off about my '70s and '80s estimate. Boy, time goes by so fast. I bought my old Trinity rings without anything written on them in the very early '70s? I guess I did.

Leah

Mar 22, 2006
^^ In that case, I was off about my '70s and '80s estimate. Boy, time goes by so fast. I bought my old Trinity rings without anything written on them in the very early '70s? I guess I did.
Your timing could still be right, not all the boutiques had the "Les Must..." immediately, it took sometime for these to be distributed outside Europe.

And maybe yours could have also been from the pre-Les Must Cartier stock at the store :smile:

snowshiro

Oct 18, 2009
Wow you all know so much :smile: So they change design every 25 year you know which are vintage and from when...

stelz

Aug 7, 2013
Old thread, but:
Le Must was marketed as "entry level Cartier", in other words, it was the less expensive line. The Tank watches, for instance, were gold plated. (It was GOOD gold plating, though - heavy vermeil on sterling. I'd rather own a regular Tank watch, but I certainly wouldn't complain if I found a vintage Le Must Tank in my Christmas stocking!)

Le Must Trinity Rings, as far as I know (correct me if I'm mistaken!) are not vermiel. They're 18k gold.
I'm guessing the more affordable plain tricolor gold Trinity rings were part of the Le Must line for awhile, but the pricier ones set with diamonds were part of the regular Cartier line.

Are there any Cartier Trinity experts out there? I'd love more information.