Cartier Tank Solo - In House Movement

Farmer

Feb 11, 2020
From what I've read after doing some research is that before 2015 it was all ETA movement, but ever since then it has been switched to their in house movement quietly but it wasn't announced to the public. I know many have confirmed this, but did anyone tried taking out the case back to have a look just to be sure?

As far as I am concerned there is the Swiss anti trust board which first forced ETA to sell their movements to others, then they did *not* want them to sell these to competitors. Stupid people there but that's what it is. So most manufacturers had to switch or go for their own movements. As for the specific watch you mentioned I do not have any further detail but yes, likely in-house.

At that price range, in house or ETA based, probably makes little difference in terms of quality and use. The Tank Solo, is a very nice watch and a great value, but it's movement will not be as finely finished as the movements used Cartier's more costly pieces (which can use either in house movements or very high quality movements from Piaget, JLC, or F.Piguet). In addition, if one can get a good deal on vintage one with an ETA movement, there is nothing wrong with a watch powered by an ETA movement. It's a good solid workhorse, that will provide many years of trouble free use. Many watches from Cartier's past such as vintage versions of the Santos, Tank Francaise, Pasha and others have used ETA movements.

• Love
Reactions: 880
Please see the following article by a respected watch blogger for your answer
Yes, the tank solo automatic now houses an in-house movement. I’d not recommend prying off the back of the watch to check, however!
Good luck in your purchase decision!

Reactions: wilmi
I'd recommend the ETA movement version, because it's easier to get serviced rather than being at the mercy of Cartier. ETA parts are more readily available too.

What people don't realize about in-house movements, is that it's just another excuse for brands to gouge consumers post-sales.

Interesting point about servicing costs for in-house movements.
If the OP wants a new watch, it will have the in-house movement, and will presumably have a warranty of at least 2 years. Personally I can’t see buying a pre-loved watch with an ETA movement just to avoid future servicing costs.

Reactions: nerotony
ETA movement are definitely cheaper and easier to service. However when one is spending above 10 grand in this scenario, I’m sure most of us will expect a better movement, specifically a in house movement and not just an ETA.

For Cartier watches their warranty is 8 years so the concerns mentioned above most probably wouldn’t be an issue.

I was wondering if any Tank solo automatic owners that bought their watches after 2015 tried removing the case back to double check if the movement is in house or ETA. Would be great if we could get a picture of the opened case back of the tank solo automatic..

Reactions: nerotony
Interesting point about servicing costs for in-house movements.
If the OP wants a new watch, it will have the in-house movement, and will presumably have a warranty of at least 2 years. Personally I can’t see buying a pre-loved watch with an ETA movement just to avoid future servicing costs.

I would imagine, most people buying a pre-owned Tank Solo, are buying it based on the lower cost to purchase a used one. The lower service cost, if it actually is less than what Cartier would charge is an added benefit. I've had a Tank Francaise with automatic movement serviced by Cartier. It has an ETA movement and Cartier only charged $450 to service it. By contrast I believe the last Rolex I sent in for service several years ago was $600.

I was wondering if any Tank solo automatic owners that bought their watches after 2015 tried removing the case back to double check if the movement is in house or ETA. Would be great if we could get a picture of the opened case back of the tank solo automatic..

I doubt most people have opened and photographed the movement inside their Tank Solo. It's simple and free to open it yourself. However, once you open a watch, you need to then make sure it is sealed properly, and pressure test it to be sure water or moisture won't get inside the case and ruin the watch. Most people would then need to bring it somewhere and then pay to get it pressure tested.

If you want more info about the movement in the Tank Solo, check out this article https://www.ablogtowatch.com/cost-entry-cartier-watches-cartier-solo-xl-automatic/

Reactions: wilmi