Cartier Ronde Solo watch

onebagatime

Jan 27, 2007
Hello. Everyone. A medium Bleu de Balloon is on my wish list which retails $5700. The other day I was browsing on line, I saw this Ronde Solo watch which looks very similar to Bleu, but only sells for $2,840. Can anybody please educate me why there is 3k difference between these two? what would you choose? Thanks so much.

radio_shrink

Aug 8, 2011
The Ronde Solo actually has quite a few design differences compared to the Ballon Bleu (non integrated crown, no guilloche pattern on dial, it has inner 24 hour markings, etc). It is much more closely related to the Ronde Louis Cartier that they sell. The Ronde Solo is part of Cartier's entry level "Les Must" line. In these "Les Must" watches some of the finishes are not as luxurious as their other watches they sell (in the case of the Ronde Solo this means a cheaper round scale caiman strap instead of a square scale alligator strap and also the tumble polish used on its clasp vs a high polished one). The bracelet version is decidedly less complicated than the other bracelets they make, therefore making it cheaper for the consumer. In the gold version of these watches, they casebacks are stainless steel instead of full gold.

That having been said, I actually probably still prefer the Solo since its design is more restrained and "classic" as compared to the Ballon Bleu, IMO.

onebagatime

Jan 27, 2007
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. It is very helpful! Now I am really interested in the Ronde Solo. I will see it in person next time I am in store. Wish it also comes in automatic. Looks like it only has quartz version.

radio_shrink

Aug 8, 2011
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. It is very helpful! Now I am really interested in the Ronde Solo. I will see it in person next time I am in store. Wish it also comes in automatic. Looks like it only has quartz version.
They do have an automatic ronde solo, however it only comes in the gents size of 42mm...which might be a little too big for you. It still looks great in the small quartz though!

onebagatime

Jan 27, 2007
If I buy, I'd buy the Ronde "large" size which is 36mm and equals to Balloon Bleu medium size. I will definitely pay attention to this next time I go to the store. Thanks!

Flor10

Dec 22, 2012
right here, right now!
I like very much the ronde solo watch. I have the tank solo large ss bracelet.

I mean, every single watch or any other piece from Cartier is pure luxus, even the very basic line products have to offer the high atelier handcrated work from this house, being also unique pieces.

The questions are:

What do you want and if you can afford it? and even if you can afford a very expensive watch or any other piece, if you think it´s worthwhile.

A cartier, rolex or a Bulgari watch is an investment anyway.

Take the Ronde solo, which is a unique, luxus watch and be happy!

youngster

O.G.
Apr 18, 2007
I'm really glad you started this thread. I've also been looking at Cartier watches for the past several months, and have been leaning towards the Ronde Solo. While I like the Tank Francais, the square design just doesn't work for me as well as a round face but I'm not crazy about the Ballon Bleu either. I agree with radioshrink that the Ronde Solo is more restrained and timeless a design.

I haven't yet seen one in person so if you try it on please take some pics and post them. I'd love to see a wrist shot!