Cartier price increase thread *please include your location*

Dear Cartier, despite priding yourselves on bringing joy to your customers' lives, you have dissapointed me time and time again. Perhaps this has something to do with this we are your "middle class "customers (please, do me a favour and google "Johann Rupert fears a poor uprising") or maybe it's that you actually don't GAF about your customer experience.

Let me start from the beginning. In May 2016 I turned 30 (a milestone birthday, in my books) and my gorgeous partner decided he would gift me a Cartier ring (if only the benefit of hindsight could influence him to seek out another brand, Bvlgari or Tiffany & Co. perhaps?) Inconveniently, your Melbourne store was being renovated and for some strange (ie. commercially challenged) reason there were no alternative retail outlets in Melbourne (p.s I'd hate to think about Cartier's loss of revenue during this period, not to mention the real estate associated costs of a blue chip location). So the advice from your customer service was to purchase from the Sydney store - however this had to be done by cash via a bank transfer and it would take a week to settle (1. who's foolish enough to have large sums of dead cash sitting around and 2. my birthday would have already come and gone). Evidently, the option to purchase from the Sydney Cartier store turned out to be a long and convoluted process, making it it near impossible for him to purchase a well-intended birthday present. Sadly, my experiences in being dissapointed by Cartier ensued.

Due to the long and convoluted process to make a purchase from your Sydney store, your customer service centre then advised to instead wait for the Melbourne store to reopen, in order to purchase the ring. My partner found this strange so checked this with my girlfriend - who also contacted your customer service centre and received the same advice.

Feeling exasperated, my partner followed your advice - he decided to wait until the Melb store reopened. So for my 30th birthday, my gift was a screenshot of the ring I would soon be recieving.

After almost 3 months of waiting we were finally notified (about a week ago from today) that the Melbourne Cartier store had reopened. With excitement, I convinced my partner to allow me to go to the store alone, despite the fact that he was away from Melbourne due to work commitments. Upon arriving at your store, I showed the screenshot of my ring to the Salesperson. He went and located the ring and brought it back to me to try on. You could imagine the joy I felt when I was finally able to try this ring on!

Upon payment I was told I owed significantly more than what I was originally expecting. So naturally, both your Salesperson & I assumed that the ring I had tried on was the wrong ring. Flustered and apologetic, off he went to search for the band with "thinner" and "less" diamonds. Unfortunately, Cartier did not stock my size in the "creation" with "thinner" and "less diamonds". Thinking it was a different ring, I decided I would pay the additional price as I believed it to have contained more diamonds, as did your salesperson.

Feeling ecstatic, my journey home involved lots of glances at my hand (covertey, as I tried to disguise my enthusiasm to check out my new ring). Later that evening I looked up the ring on your website to compare it against the screen shot that I had taken in May - ie. my "original" ring. You could imagine my surprise when I realised that in fact it was the same ring, just with a price hike of 20%.

It's astonishing that Cartier decided to mark up this ring by 20% occurred but hey, that's totally at your discretion and perhaps a strategy to make up for your declining sales in less popular products( #justsaying(. The most dissapointing aspect of all this, is that my partner had intended on purchasing this in May for my actual birthday but due to the long and unreasonable process and lack of alternative retail outlets in Melbourne, it appears we have now been financially exploited from your 20% price hike which I later found out came into effect on 1 August 2016. I thought maybe I was taking this personally but after speaking with friends and family, it appears that my feelings that Cartier's attitude towards their customers is so ducked (insert imagination) is actually a shared feeling amongst those who I've shared my dissapointing experience with.

What should have been a special and memorable birthday present now represents to me a symbol of exploitation and disgust; memorable, but for a totally different reason.

Cartier, your service centre has advised it is not possible to issue me a refund nor is it possible to honor the price in May - "too bad so sad, you snooze you lose" was the message I recieved, as "the price hike occurred on 1 Aug and it's now 18 days later". I should probably learn from my mistakes and not be astonished by Cartier's decisions, but seriously I can't help but be astonished that a multibillion, globally reaching, luxury brand would rather exploit their customers of a small sum of money (0.0001054% of your brand value - lol) rather than encourage any sense of loyalty (which, FYI, may even result in repeat business)

Perhaps it's a suitable time for some #selfreflection and a great opportunty to question why such dirty tactics are employed by your salespeople to make your sales. Oh and don't even get me started on your breaches to Australian Consumer Law......... #poorpeoplearetakingovertheworld #rupertjohannwhatwillbecomeofyourcaviar
#firstpurchaselastpurchase #cartierfail

I don't get it. Why didn't you buy online from their website???[emoji848]

Dear Cartier, despite priding yourselves on bringing joy to your customers' lives, you have dissapointed me time and time again. Perhaps this has something to do with this we are your "middle class "customers (please, do me a favour and google "Johann Rupert fears a poor uprising") or maybe it's that you actually don't GAF about your customer experience.

Let me start from the beginning. In May 2016 I turned 30 (a milestone birthday, in my books) and my gorgeous partner decided he would gift me a Cartier ring (if only the benefit of hindsight could influence him to seek out another brand, Bvlgari or Tiffany & Co. perhaps?) Inconveniently, your Melbourne store was being renovated and for some strange (ie. commercially challenged) reason there were no alternative retail outlets in Melbourne (p.s I'd hate to think about Cartier's loss of revenue during this period, not to mention the real estate associated costs of a blue chip location). So the advice from your customer service was to purchase from the Sydney store - however this had to be done by cash via a bank transfer and it would take a week to settle (1. who's foolish enough to have large sums of dead cash sitting around and 2. my birthday would have already come and gone). Evidently, the option to purchase from the Sydney Cartier store turned out to be a long and convoluted process, making it it near impossible for him to purchase a well-intended birthday present. Sadly, my experiences in being dissapointed by Cartier ensued.

Due to the long and convoluted process to make a purchase from your Sydney store, your customer service centre then advised to instead wait for the Melbourne store to reopen, in order to purchase the ring. My partner found this strange so checked this with my girlfriend - who also contacted your customer service centre and received the same advice.

Feeling exasperated, my partner followed your advice - he decided to wait until the Melb store reopened. So for my 30th birthday, my gift was a screenshot of the ring I would soon be recieving.

After almost 3 months of waiting we were finally notified (about a week ago from today) that the Melbourne Cartier store had reopened. With excitement, I convinced my partner to allow me to go to the store alone, despite the fact that he was away from Melbourne due to work commitments. Upon arriving at your store, I showed the screenshot of my ring to the Salesperson. He went and located the ring and brought it back to me to try on. You could imagine the joy I felt when I was finally able to try this ring on!

Upon payment I was told I owed significantly more than what I was originally expecting. So naturally, both your Salesperson & I assumed that the ring I had tried on was the wrong ring. Flustered and apologetic, off he went to search for the band with "thinner" and "less" diamonds. Unfortunately, Cartier did not stock my size in the "creation" with "thinner" and "less diamonds". Thinking it was a different ring, I decided I would pay the additional price as I believed it to have contained more diamonds, as did your salesperson.

Feeling ecstatic, my journey home involved lots of glances at my hand (covertey, as I tried to disguise my enthusiasm to check out my new ring). Later that evening I looked up the ring on your website to compare it against the screen shot that I had taken in May - ie. my "original" ring. You could imagine my surprise when I realised that in fact it was the same ring, just with a price hike of 20%.

It's astonishing that Cartier decided to mark up this ring by 20% occurred but hey, that's totally at your discretion and perhaps a strategy to make up for your declining sales in less popular products( #justsaying(. The most dissapointing aspect of all this, is that my partner had intended on purchasing this in May for my actual birthday but due to the long and unreasonable process and lack of alternative retail outlets in Melbourne, it appears we have now been financially exploited from your 20% price hike which I later found out came into effect on 1 August 2016. I thought maybe I was taking this personally but after speaking with friends and family, it appears that my feelings that Cartier's attitude towards their customers is so ducked (insert imagination) is actually a shared feeling amongst those who I've shared my dissapointing experience with.

What should have been a special and memorable birthday present now represents to me a symbol of exploitation and disgust; memorable, but for a totally different reason.

Cartier, your service centre has advised it is not possible to issue me a refund nor is it possible to honor the price in May - "too bad so sad, you snooze you lose" was the message I recieved, as "the price hike occurred on 1 Aug and it's now 18 days later". I should probably learn from my mistakes and not be astonished by Cartier's decisions, but seriously I can't help but be astonished that a multibillion, globally reaching, luxury brand would rather exploit their customers of a small sum of money (0.0001054% of your brand value - lol) rather than encourage any sense of loyalty (which, FYI, may even result in repeat business)

Perhaps it's a suitable time for some #selfreflection and a great opportunty to question why such dirty tactics are employed by your salespeople to make your sales. Oh and don't even get me started on your breaches to Australian Consumer Law......... #poorpeoplearetakingovertheworld #rupertjohannwhatwillbecomeofyourcaviar
#firstpurchaselastpurchase #cartierfail

I understand your frustration as you waited long. You could have opted to buy online or over the phone (I do all the time as there's no Cartier in Adelaide). But perhaps you wanted to try it on first, I don't know..? I think you definitely liked it as you were ecstatic looking at it on the way home. But you then became somewhat disgruntled about the price increase. Unfortunately, unless you paid in advance or made some sort of an agreement with the SA beforehand, you will be subjected to price increase. Sadly these pesky increases happen almost 2x a year. That's just how it is.

I'd say if you really like it, keep it and don't worry about the price especially if you can afford it. Plus it's a gift!

Reactions: uhpharm01
It's also common sense not to comment on how people are spending their own money. How do you know she does not have money? Maybe she has tons of stocks, property, savings accounts, etc.

If you have tons of money. In the time you wait when the price got higher, your money also got higher.

Its sad that because of her own fault, cartier gets a bad review.

And when i purchase something for my girlfriend. I wouldn't tell how much it was. Think this is not what a gentleman should do.

I think the whole purchasing situation is a bit strange. There's no Cartier where I am, so I just purchase over the phone. I have a SA in my capital city, but she's arranged for something to be sent from another city when it wasn't available in her store. I pay by bank transfer that day, it clears the following day and the item gets shipped that afternoon.

I agree though that price increases are highly frustrating, especially when you arrange something in advance - but I've heard stories of this going back 30 years, so obviously store policy is store policy. Not sure how they're breaching the ACL personally.

Sales associates always talk about price increases just so you'll be suckered into buying. There are global economic uncertainties now. Until after the election come November and perhaps even for some months afterward, I'm keeping my wallet shut on major purchases. There is way too much currency fluctuation going on and the stock market is way overpriced.

Does anyone have idea of when next price increase for love bracelets will be in us?

Really don't think they will have another increase for a while. Richemont group is doing extremely bad at the moment and it would not make any sense to bombard their already lackluster customers with another price increase.

Reactions: uhpharm01