Cartier Love Bracelet owners and Airport security ?!?!

babybumpkins

Apr 3, 2008
I know there are quite a few posts on this classic and iconic piece ...

I would love to know more about how much you love and whether you can keep this bracelet on at ALL times ...because if I get one I would really like to ALWAYS wear it ...although I have never constantly worn a bangle before like I do rings.

But in addition - we travel alot - so exactly how painful is it to go through airport security ? I would hate to ALWAYS be pulled aside for additional screening for the rest of my life :sad: Right now this is my biggest reason for not getting it . But other than that it seems the bracelet is just the perfect forever and romantic keepsake.

Every single time I fly, I get pulled. My bangle is a size 17 and is plain white gold. It is a big inconvenience as I have to get "wanded". Recently, I started removing bracelet before trips cause I don't want to hold up my family going through security. Perhaps you would be better off with the cuff style.

I used to have issues so I bought a cuff - however I've never gotten pulled with the cuff so I am thinking of wearing the bracelet again and getting another one to stack...lol

There was a thread someone posted awhile ago/started saying that they'd been told that if you put your hand over the bangle and walk through security that it won't beep. Not sure how much truth there is to that though since I don't have one of the bracelets.

One of the other threads also said that if you try to walk through with your arms straight in front of you like Frankenstein, it's less likely to go off. I try to do that. Subtly... if that is even possible.

I almost never set off the security alarms at the airports when I travel. I usually wear a few pieces of jewelry- e.g. love bracelet, watch, earrings, ring, and sometimes a small necklace. I think I tripped the alarm exactly one time. I don't know why. My husband almost never trip the alarm either and he almost always wears his ring, watch, and belt.

We travel in premium class, so we are always ushered through a separate security line, at least at US airports. I don't know if that makes a difference. But, I notice I've never gotten wanded or my luggages searched by hand. The only exception is Narita (Tokyo). They are super strict and I've had to throw away quite a few bottles of cleanser/makeup at that airport.

*Knock on wood that confessing this doesn't change anything. I detest airport security.*

There was a thread someone posted awhile ago/started saying that they'd been told that if you put your hand over the bangle and walk through security that it won't beep. Not sure how much truth there is to that though since I don't have one of the bracelets.

Wow, really!? I will try this because I got delayed for 20 minutes at JFK while they had to search for a female officer to wand me. Then the search was sooo long as well!! So embarrassing sitting in that glass room!!! :tdown::wtf::cry:
I had just gotten the bracelet in NYC and was jazzed about it but If I get beeped again I'm going to have DH remove it before we fly. I really hate to take it off, though.

^I might be wrong, I think lanasyogamama is correct, the OP said to walk forward like Frankenstein. I know it was one of them (maybe it was two posters in the same thread that said different things?) is right though! :smile: I'll try to see if I can find the thread...

ETA: I found a thread similar to this one from 2008 http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewelry-box/cartier-love-bracelet-and-airport-security-243834.html searching for the other thread though! :P

Ok I can't find it, but I swear it's here somewhere! It might be an old thread that was archived or something which is why I can't find it, but I know I read that one of these tricks should work.

Last edited:
I've worn my love bracelet for about 13 years and they've never made me take it off for airport security. Mine is 18K yellow gold. The bracelet has beeped before but like bagsfor me said, i told TSA it doesn't come off and they let me right through.

Don't let airport security stop you from buying a gorgeous piece of jewelry!

Geez, I hope we don't have less security on people because they fly first class! That seems like a recipe for disaster.

:shrugs: I have to add that I haven't traveled through an airport in the last five months (i.e. I haven't had to face the new heightened TSA security measures) because I don't want to travel while I am pregnant. So, I don't know if the next time I travel, I'll set off the alarm.

Also, some ppl in another thread mentioned that the size of the bracelet makes a difference. I wear a 16.

Worries me a little... Makes me want to get the cuff style in Rose Gold + Pink Sapphire.

Do you ladies wear your Love Bracelets under (closer to your palm) or over your watch?

it has gone off every single time i have traveled, as well as when i had to go down to the passport office before my trip to the UK and lo and behold, it went off in the metal detector as well. i just plan ahead knowing that i will be wanded at the airport.

it's funny because when i was leaving heathrow to head back to the states, the security officer asked me "if it was one of those bracelets that needs a screwdriver to unlock." she said she sees them often. but when i was leaving denver, they had no idea what it was and thought i was insane, but, they wanded me either way.

it's a hassle, but i personally don't want to take the bangle off as it defeats the purpose entirely. but that's me. i guess if i traveled for business, i may think otherwise, but for now, it's fine and my family just plans for it.