Cartier jewelry/stacks „hurting your image“, why, if so?

I have also noticed I get better service when I wear recognizable designer items (though not necessarily when I look put together). I get it, because then at least they know you're a serious buyer of high priced items... sort of like getting "pre-qualified" when you're house hunting lol. It's def not always an accurate impression but it probably does save them some time in the long run.

At work: I work in design and can get away with wearing more fun and maximalist outfits- I wear a lot of jewelry that’s mix n matched between houses like Cartier and random cute fun stuff I found on Etsy. I get more compliments on the random fun stuff! The Cartier jewelry was only noticed / recognized by a male coworker who is really into brands.

That said though, lately in San Francisco I no longer wear designer clothes, jewelry, or bags because thieves are targeting people to the point of following them home and robbing them at gunpoint… scary days. I have my loves and juste en clou on most of the time but keep them covered up and out of view.

At work: I work in design and can get away with wearing more fun and maximalist outfits- I wear a lot of jewelry that’s mix n matched between houses like Cartier and random cute fun stuff I found on Etsy. I get more compliments on the random fun stuff! The Cartier jewelry was only noticed / recognized by a male coworker who is really into brands.

That said though, lately in San Francisco I no longer wear designer clothes, jewelry, or bags because thieves are targeting people to the point of following them home and robbing them at gunpoint… scary days. I have my loves and juste en clou on most of the time but keep them covered up and out of view.
I live in NYC and I’m being more mindful of how I appear. I just bought a wrist band to cover up my Cartier stack and I also got a fake wedding set.

I’ve always been of the mindset to wear what you like while still being conscious of your environment. When I worked in an office (I’m remote now), I did wear my lux items to work. For my stack, if volunteering, I’d cover it up. I’ve only ever had SAs mention my jewelry. I do find this topic fascinating and enjoy reading everyone’s POV.

I live in NYC and I’m being more mindful of how I appear. I just bought a wrist band to cover up my Cartier stack and I also got a fake wedding set.
I do want to clarify that at work, I will happily wear all my items (although I tend to not wear the high-end designer bags like Chanel and Hermes but I will wear LV, Coach, and Gucci). I don’t shy away when it comes to jewelry, mostly because most people don’t know what it is. But I’m being more cautious on the street. For me, it’s more about safety than judgment.

I work from home now, but back when I worked in an office, I had someone comment on one of my LV bags. She's someone I like, and her comment wasn't made in a nasty way, so it led to a good conversation. My son is grown, she had two sons who both played competitive hockey. She has horses, drinks expensive wine, orders cocktails with dinner, wears makeup, perfume, travels with her family twice a year to places like Hawaii and Europe, has her hair professionally done regularly, got Botox injections. All things I don't do or spend money on. So it came down to a great discussion of how we each choose to spend our money differently, and what I spend on bags and jewelry is probably not even as much on what she spends on those other things. To each her own!

I wear my Cartier jewellery to work but only 1 bracelet and/or 1 ring. I would not wear a stack of bracelets and haven’t felt comfortable wearing certain other luxury items either eg Rolex with diamonds. I purposely wear a SS Tag watch. I am known in the team/floor to love my designer/luxury items and tbh I don’t think it’s great. I get a lot of comments on my clothing, jewellery, bags - some good/flattering comments and some not so nice/judgemental. I try to ignore it as much as I can.

Reactions: lulilu and Neem

San Francisco has changed so much, hasn't it? I used to live and work there for around 7 years in the early 2000. It was a very different time then.

My answer is if you're very junior at a company, you're female, and you haven't started your family, then yes, your stack will be viewed as frivolous. And when it comes time for job cuts, you are more likely to be let go than some male colleague who's young, but has a wife and children to support.

Sexist and prejudiced, and not ideal, but this is how the world works.

Like others have said, I think it depends on where you work, your position and where you live. I dont like wearing stacks of bangles but I do wear my Cartier rings. But where I live I find people dont take notice of Cartier or VCA or Rolex on its own because they are everywhere here. On top of it, there are many copies in the market too. But when you wear many branded pieces at the same then people start to notice. I regularly wear one or two Cartier (usually one necklace and one ring and wear it with rings from local brands). My daily style is casual so is my jewelry. So wearing 3 rings with one of them designer ring, is not very showy because they are all simple rings. I find my co-workers notice my bag more than my jewelry. After an awkward incident (very innocent, nothing spiteful), I stick to one bag to work, no rotation. I use my other bags outside of work.

I noticed that Sales Associates normally know what it is---and I notice better treatment when they see me wearing it..not sure though if it's purely coincidental!
I actually tested that (I know, I’m psycho ) went to couple stores that I’m not regular in mmmm, Costco outfit and no name bag no jewelry. My take is that experienced SA can ‘ smell it ‘ I think it’s t mannerism and body language more so.

I used to work at a large law firm in NYC, and have moved into the corporate world and am in DC now. My salary/profession seemed fit for wearing whatever luxury items we wanted but as I started going back into the office, I was surprised to see these corporate heads not wearing a single luxury item. I fly out for business at least once a month visiting company offices nationwide and internationally. I only recently started this job and am always on the fence of whether to keep my stack and take off a couple. I usually will take off a couple but not all. Most of my coworkers make more than I do but always dress down, so I’ve been very self conscious about it. This topic has been floating in my head for quite some time now… It’s summer so I don’t have long sleeves to cover them, but taking my loves off every few weeks seems like such a hassle and I hate it loosening up from it. /endrant

My answer is if you're very junior at a company, you're female, and you haven't started your family, then yes, your stack will be viewed as frivolous. And when it comes time for job cuts, you are more likely to be let go than some male colleague who's young, but has a wife and children to support.

Sexist and prejudiced, and not ideal, but this is how the world works.
I agree. When I was a young professional my boss brought up the topic of luxury bags under the premise that her daughter in law had been looking at one. (oh, and it happened to be a LV I had recently gotten as a gift and did bring to the office.) I was so uncomfortable. I never bring LV to work anymore. I was totally mortified.

Now, I do not wear much jewelry to work. I bring a cardigan in the summer (there's AC so pretend I'm cold) and cover up my Love. Luckily I'm mostly home so I can wear what I want!