Cartier in Paris

Cartier? can't hurt, but nah, you can just walk in. Though you might want to crunch the numbers on currency exchange. I was looking to buy in October 2022, and there was hardly any savings to be made. I threw my cash at a bag and saved $1000USD instead. But if you want the experience, it's still great.

Actually, if you're interested in checking it out, I went to Cartier on Champs-Elysee in 2019, tried on a few watches I had my eye on, took a stroll to let it marinate, but ended up purchasing Ballon Bleu automatic at an authorized dealer a few blocks away and saved WAY more. I think they probably have some flexibility on what they sell. it was nearby Cartier on my way to hotel. you can find AD on the Cartier website. HAPPY SHOPPING!

Cartier? can't hurt, but nah, you can just walk in. Though you might want to crunch the numbers on currency exchange. I was looking to buy in October 2022, and there was hardly any savings to be made. I threw my cash at a bag and saved $1000USD instead. But if you want the experience, it's still great.

Actually, if you're interested in checking it out, I went to Cartier on Champs-Elysee in 2019, tried on a few watches I had my eye on, took a stroll to let it marinate, but ended up purchasing Ballon Bleu automatic at an authorized dealer a few blocks away and saved WAY more. I think they probably have some flexibility on what they sell. it was nearby Cartier on my way to hotel. you can find AD on the Cartier website. HAPPY SHOPPING!
Cool! Do you happen to remember the name of the authorized dealer?

Hi all, my fiance-to-be and I have a trip to Paris planned later this month, and I wanted to surprise her, with a Cartier 1895 Engagement ring.
I will probably buy the ring the the 'Rue de la paix' boutique, and heard that Paris has A lot of pickpocketing, mugging and robbings.

My hotel is 15 minute walk from the boutique, so I planned on walking from the boutique straight to the hotel.
I wanted to ask for your opinion if it is safe to do so, and if maybe I should reconsider.
I will not be carrying a Cartier bag, and will put it inside my backpack.

Thank in advance :smile:

This is not a new problem. Back in 1985 I purchased an 18K deployment buckle for my Cartier Tank watch at Cartier Saint-Honoré. My watch was brand new, a gift from my fiancé, and the boutique was kind enough to simply exchange my crocodile strap with conventional buckle for this special one. I left the boutique with a tiny Cartier shopping bag containing only a perfume sample. I got maybe a half block before I found the shopping bag ribbon "dangling" from my wrist. The bag had been snatched. Your instinct is correct, that's it's extremely risky to leave the boutique with something of great value in your possession.

I realize that you feel you can disguise your purchase by putting in your backpack. However, it would still be possible for someone inside the boutique to notice your purchase. Perhaps there is a messenger service Cartier can use to deliver it directly to you at your hotel.

Paris is not necessarily more dangerous than other cities, but you can 1) ask Cartier to messenger it to you at your hotel (they do this in the US, so one would think they will do the same in Paris) 2) take an Uber back to your hotel.
If you carry it, just ensure it is unreachable. A money pouch etc. , not a backpack with a zipper.

Paris is such a romantic place to propose, wishing you all the best!

If your hotel is nearby, it shouldn't be a problem. Paris isn't really very unsafe, but as it is one of the most densely populated areas in the world, and on top of that is one of the biggest tourist spots in the world, it provides great opportunities for petty crime unfortunately. Tourists are usually a much easier target than locals.

You should be a aware of crowds or crowded areas. Make sure you are able to carry your valuables in front of you in a secure way, preferably in a lockable cross-body bag or in a zipped pocket inside your coat and similar. You are mostly at risk in a crowded area or on public transportation and/or in a situation where you are typically unaware, such as when you are alone and concentrating to find your hotel looking lost in the streets, lugging bags and luggage around in a public area or having to tend to kids...

I would not recommend using a backpack in Paris unless you can carry it in front of you, which looks ridiculous and would make you stand out.

That being said, people buy items that would be high value targets for pickpockets in that area of Paris all the time, so you shouldn't be too worried, and certainly not about being robbed. There's a lot of security and law enforcement too.

Not that it matters for your experience, but I have never been pickpocketed in Paris and I have never even been in a situation where I thought I might get robbed. The city is really overcrowded though, and it does have its share of aggressive behavior and let's just call it craziness, which may be scary or off-putting. In Paris, they allow a lot that wouldn't be tolerated in other bigger cities in similar areas, such as homelessness (this is not dangerous though) and sometimes there are huge demonstrations, strikes and other disruptive events in areas that overlap with .... major tourist and business areas...

As an example, during the protests against the pension reforms earlier this year , I had an appointment in a store at noon or so for about an hour. The street was pretty calm and normal-looking when I arrived, but by the time appointment was over and I got back out, there was police everywhere and protesters basically blocking the street. It wasn't really dangerous, but confusing and overwhelming. And no uber or taxis would've been available at that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: jenapp
I go twice a year, and find Paris quite safe assuming one takes basic, big city precautions. Like @Liberté , I was there during some of the protests and strikes, and some streets are closed off to vehicles and pedestrians. But, while it was inconvenient, it wasn’t dangerous or worrisome. As a general rule, when I go for long walks around the city, I wear long sleeves to cover my bracelets and turn rings stone facing inward. (Our various SAs at charvet, Corthay, Bulgari, H etc. all voice approval over those precautions). I always wear my bag in front of my body, but I don’t generally go to major tourist attractions.

When I buy jewelry, i often wear a major jewelry purchase out of the boutique. I put the box, etc. in a reusable, collapsible nylon shopping bag that i carry close to or in front of my body. But, if you don’t want to wear the item, simply put it inside your purse, and carry that close to your body. For normal non jewelry purchases, like bags and RTW, I have the boutique deliver to my hotel in an unmarked bag (the concierge takes possession and delivers to my room). I prefer not to carry any shopping bags, even unmarked ones. The boutique’s own insurance should cover this.

ETA: If you want to insure immediately after purchase, a company like jewelers mutual allows you to update your account and add purchases (via submitting pics and receipts online). Not sure of the exact procedure bc DH does it.

Forgot to say, congrats! Pls do update with a pic! :smile:

Last edited:
Cartier’s website says: Please note that for security purposes, Cartier is unable to ship to hotels or post office boxes.

I can’t say if purchasing in person would change that but their online sales will not ship to hotels.
ah - ok :smile: First I wanted to start with a plethora of " that's not very customer service oriented.... how.... why... not cool..." but then I read the word "online sales".

I, personally, would writen them an email - or you do ask the Concierge of your hotel how to handle the situation? I always had very pleasant experiences with Concierges, because they do know the city they are working in the best. So if the Concierge says it's safe to walk back to yuor hotel (nevertheless I'd listen to the advices you got here about where to store the ring - wouldn't use a backpack, too!*), I'd trust it.

If both won't work, I'd take a cab. Not an uber, if you'd ask me. But that's just me.

That said, Paris is such a perfect place for an engagement, please keep us posted

* personal experience from Paris: went there with my daughter. Had a Herbag with me which is REALLY hard to get into - and had to realize that obviously someone tried to cut into it. Didn't even notice ANYTHING. So.... my opinion is: if you walk around, fearing, that you might be pickpocketed, you are an easy target, because thefts are really experienced in "seeing" who might have something valueable and who not.

** in Naples (which isn't France, I know, but I want to avoid shedding a bad light on Paris) - again with my Herbag worn as a crossbody, a motorcyclist tried to tear off the bag of my shoulder - which didn't work, but I fell really hard, which was a pretty unpleasant experience.

You can never be sure - especially in tourist high places at tourist high times :sad: Better safe than... ;)

Last edited:
Addition: I looked it up, there is no word in English that describes the German most beloved travel-accessorie, the Brustbeutel.

Yes, it looks ridiculous, yes, everybody laughs about it over here, yes it is a typical German thing, but I would consider ordering one. I Inserted a link to Amazon below. You put it under your shirt / vest /... and it is virtually invisible

How to wear (UNDER your T-Shirt)

1691875029532.png