Cartier in Paris

Ladies, I'll be there tomorrow and will report back! xoxo

I’ll be there in March. I would love to hear about your experience as well.

Hi there! Do you have any information you can share on the shopping experience at CDG airport from your visits? I'll be there in August, and I'm eager to know opinions on shopping at/purchasing from CDG vs. the Paris stores.

Hello - I apologize if this has been asked already, but my searches did not answer my questions.

Assuming we are able to travel next year, my teenage son and I will be visiting Paris for 3 weeks (this is something we do every year without my husband for "us" time). Anyway, I plan on buying a Cartier Love in yellow gold. I am not so concerned about a VAT refund as I am about getting through TCA checkpoints. Can I buy one in Paris, wear it and come back to the U.S. without any issues? I realize that if I want a VAT refund it will have to remain unworn. If I wear it, do I need to declare it, or is the VAT I already paid enough to cover any import duties? If I wear it, will it set off the scanner (gold, so I assume NO)? Having the little Cartier screwdriver could solve the problem if it needs to be removed, but can I even carry the screwdriver in my handbag or is it on the prohibited list?

Or, do I just buy one in the States? I want to buy in Paris because it is such a special place for me, which is why I am asking.

So many questions. Thanks for answering.

Reactions: twinzluvagrl
Hello - I apologize if this has been asked already, but my searches did not answer my questions.

Assuming we are able to travel next year, my teenage son and I will be visiting Paris for 3 weeks (this is something we do every year without my husband for "us" time). Anyway, I plan on buying a Cartier Love in yellow gold. I am not so concerned about a VAT refund as I am about getting through TCA checkpoints. Can I buy one in Paris, wear it and come back to the U.S. without any issues? I realize that if I want a VAT refund it will have to remain unworn. If I wear it, do I need to declare it, or is the VAT I already paid enough to cover any import duties? If I wear it, will it set off the scanner (gold, so I assume NO)? Having the little Cartier screwdriver could solve the problem if it needs to be removed, but can I even carry the screwdriver in my handbag or is it on the prohibited list?

Or, do I just buy one in the States? I want to buy in Paris because it is such a special place for me, which is why I am asking.

I say GO FOR IT, and get it in Paris if you are willing/able to wait until travel is allowed there. Not only will it make the bracelet more memorable for you, but it looks like you would get a 12% savings (see refund for France at the link below).

I think the VAT is worth it if you have the time to do it before you leave Europe. Try to do a lot of the guess work prior if possible with the paperwork, location for refund etc. My sister purchased the Prada Galleria tote for me two years ago in Prague, and I saved $473. Grant it, the refund in the Czech Republic is more than France, but that is a huge savings in my opinion. She had to throw away the box it came in because it was too big and bulky, but you should be fine with Cartier boxing. Poor woman had to run like a madwoman to get it done for me, but I am so grateful!

Also, I wouldn't worry about the screwdriver too much if you plan to keep it in your purse and not claim the VAT, but I think you should try if you have the time!

Here's the link (see below), but you can also Google words like VAT, France, Global Blue - there are several articles out there. Good Luck!

Reactions: KittyKat65 and hhw
I def recommend buying in Paris if you can wait. The feel is completely different and you do save a good percentage. I've wrote an article about how much I spent and compared prices with different luxury items on this page. Feel free to check it out. It calculates VAT which gets refunded to you then you can figure out how much tax is when you declare it (which is less than your standard tax you pay if you were to purchase here. (Def less than the 8% for overall) I hope this helps!

Ooh, I didn't even consider Galeries Lafayette, but that is a great suggestion. I wanted the quintessential Paris experience in Cartier, but there is no place lovelier to shop than Galeries Lafayette.