Cartier: Gold Tank Solo or Gold Tank Louis?

radio_shrink

Aug 8, 2011
Hey All,

I am wondering what is your opinion on Cartier's gold tank solo? I really like the tank look, and I like the Louis but the tank Solo is almost half as expensive when it virtual looks the same! I think the only visible difference is that the case back is composted of steel in the Solo(and gold in the Louis). Do you think an all gold back is worth the extra $$$$? Even though no one else would know its there, would a steel caseback on a gold watch bother you??

Are there any other differences between the Solo and the Louis that I am not seeing? Is the quality much higher on the Louis? I just don't see how the steel caseback could make the watch several thousand dollars cheaper!

Opinions, thoughts?

TIA

Aug 1, 2006
the casing on the tank louis is rounder on the sides. Between the two, I would go for the louis since its classic Cartier

snowhite1989

Jan 27, 2012
i'm also having the same problem as you,actually i like the tank louis more because i think it fitted better on my wrist.but when i discover tank solo,i was like these 2 watches look so identical but the prices are almost the 2 times difference.

i think i will get the tank solo,YG,black strip

scarlet555

O.G.
Apr 9, 2009
tank solo gold is cheaper b/c the gold is plated, where as the tank louis is 18k non-plated gold. So as long as you don't mind, go for tank solo. price is reasonable. that is what one sa told me while I was browsing.

djmm

Jun 17, 2010
From memory (but don't quote me), the last time I checked, Louis Cartier is a solid gold (the whole casing is made of gold) whereas Solo is part stainless not a solid gold watch, and I think solo use a spinel for crown, whereas Louie, the crown is real sapphire gem.
I suggest you go with Louie if that's within your budget, especially if it's going to be a one watch you plan to wear and own a long time.