• Datejust

Votes: 31 91.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bmack6007

Nov 17, 2017
Hello all!
I need some advice .
I am reaching a milestone at work and can’t decide between 2 luxury pieces: Cartier Ecrou bracelet in YG or RG and the Rolex Datejust, two tone YG with white dial.
I own the Cartier Clash, and the Brushed Love bracelet in YG. I don’t own a Rolex. Which, in your opinion, is the best choice?

Not a fan of the Rolex two tone, so i would get the ecrou

I should add that I haven’t used a watch in a while. My phone is sufficient for telling time

Find a chore to maintain battery health in my quartz watches. Even if it’s auto (which I don’t own), it still needs winding at times. I’m wearing watches at times just so to “keep the time”, literally. Plus, they don’t travel with me. My iphone/iwatch does all the adjustment for different time zone. I don’t see why I still need to wear a watch :P

But I know watch love is still a thing for some wearers. For me, I’ll choose hassle free Ecrou.

Personally purchases go in order of priority: watch > jewelry > bags/RTW

To be very honest, while I am all for buying what makes your heart sing, when it comes to watches vs jewelry, I will take into account how much value the item can hold and resale value. And that is the main reason why I chose the rolex over the ecrou. There are just some things that I can't get out of my head and that's how well a rolex can hold its value relative to a piece of fine jewelry.

On the other hand, I do understand the maintenance and minor annoyances of an automatic watch. And if you're not wearing it daily, it's a bit annoying to keep on setting the time and winding it. I rarely wear my automatic watches anymore even though I do love them for what they are, their mechanisms, and that ticking sound.

My daily watch is my Panthere and quartz is just so easy to work with. I actually find myself using it sometimes, which is surprising since we have our phones. It can be a tad more fuss free to just turn your wrist to read the time than pulling the phone out of the pocket or purse, especially when I'm on the move or in a hurry. And it has come in handy when my phone is not with me or is charging somewhere.
But I also wear it for sentimental reasons, it is a wedding anniversary gift from my husband so I am always very happy to wear it all the time.

About the ecrou, I do really like it actually. It's not a piece I see often in the wild so my heart skips a beat when I see it! I like the clean and industrial design and it will match with your other jewelry very well. As a bracelet, I think it is a great choice.

Have you tried on both items with your daily jewelry pieces? If not, best go do so! It's one of the best ways to know if you love it or not.

Either way, at the end of the day, it matters what you love more! Please let us know what you end up deciding on. Good luck and happy shopping! :biggrin:

To be very honest, while I am all for buying what makes your heart sing, when it comes to watches vs jewelry, I will take into account how much value the item can hold and resale value. And that is the main reason why I chose the rolex over the ecrou. There are just some things that I can't get out of my head and that's how well a rolex can hold its value relative to a piece of fine jewelry.

On the other hand, I do understand the maintenance and minor annoyances of an automatic watch. And if you're not wearing it daily, it's a bit annoying to keep on setting the time and winding it. I rarely wear my automatic watches anymore even though I do love them for what they are, their mechanisms, and that ticking sound.

My daily watch is my Panthere and quartz is just so easy to work with. I actually find myself using it sometimes, which is surprising since we have our phones. It can be a tad more fuss free to just turn your wrist to read the time than pulling the phone out of the pocket or purse, especially when I'm on the move or in a hurry. And it has come in handy when my phone is not with me or is charging somewhere.
But I also wear it for sentimental reasons, it is a wedding anniversary gift from my husband so I am always very happy to wear it all the time.

About the ecrou, I do really like it actually. It's not a piece I see often in the wild so my heart skips a beat when I see it! I like the clean and industrial design and it will match with your other jewelry very well. As a bracelet, I think it is a great choice.

Have you tried on both items with your daily jewelry pieces? If not, best go do so! It's one of the best ways to know if you love it or not.

Either way, at the end of the day, it matters what you love more! Please let us know what you end up deciding on. Good luck and happy shopping! :biggrin:

Hi!
Yes I agree , that’s one of the things that makes the decision so tough. A Rolex holds its value very well, Cartier does too, but not as well. I have tried both on, and they both sing to me lol, and they’re both very comfortable on the wrist.
I love the Panthere , in all its forms , watches, bracelets , rings, it’s one of my favorite Cartier styles. Wear your watch in good health!
I will let you know what I decide : )

We use a watch winder for our watches.
I agree a with the hierarchy of watch > jewelry especially since you don’t have a watch but already have some Cartier pieces.
I wear my watch as more of an accessory jewelry tbh and have a couple of watches on my wishlist still! Like @880 I don’t love 2 tone, but that’s your preference so I based my opinion on the above!
It’s a win/win, enjoy the fun of buying your next item!

Agree with getting a watch winder. I got one for my partner's DJ. It was a Wolf single winder (there are larger ones that accommodate more watches for those with more). Not expensive and reliable.

I would pick the DJ over the ecrou. Have fun choosing and can't wait to see what you get.

Wolf single cub.jpg

Reactions: lill_canele
Agree with getting a watch winder. I got one for my partner's DJ. It was a Wolf single winder (there are larger ones that accommodate more watches for those with more). Not expensive and reliable.

I would pick the DJ over the ecrou. Have fun choosing and can't wait to see what you get.

View attachment 6015686

I recommend the Wolf. We have the Wolf for 3, hoping we need a bigger one soon *hint hint DH*

I got a winder for Xmas.. haven’t had to reset my Rolex since!
I find if you wear an Apple Watch, you’re less inclined to wear a traditional watch. So if you have one of those… may affect your choice.

Hello all!
I need some advice .
I am reaching a milestone at work and can’t decide between 2 luxury pieces: Cartier Ecrou bracelet in YG or RG and the Rolex Datejust, two tone YG with white dial.
I own the Cartier Clash, and the Brushed Love bracelet in YG. I don’t own a Rolex. Which, in your opinion, is the best choice?
I own both pieces. (I actually own two Ecrou, wg and rg). I love both pieces. But in my life I would prioritize watch over bracelet.

If you don’t have a nice watch, get the Rolex.

If you already have a nice watch, they become equal in my mind.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the difficulty of setting the Rolex. A basic datejust takes no time at all to set, and you won’t have to do that if you wear it daily. It’s when you get a ton of complications that it gets tricky. My SA at my Rolex AD actually does NOT recommend watch winders unless your watch is something like a perpetual calendar and truly impossible to set. He explained it this way: if your watch stops, no big deal, you reset it. If you keep it on a winder and it’s going, going, going for years, it’s like a car that has been driven and driven and never stopped. The mechanical parts will require maintenance and replacement sooner than a car that has been parked when not in use.

Hope that helps.