Cartier Diamants Leger vs Tiffany DBTY

for the RG DBTY (and I believe silver as well), for diamonds up to .17ct there is a thicker bezel (and wont poke). From 0.18ct you have the thin bezel. I also noticed in store that the thick RG bezel is more "red" than the thin RG bezel.
for the YG and Platinum version, you have always the thin bezel (regardless of the size of the diamond).

From my researches, a size 0.17 with the thin bezel will poke. However you can let them add a basket on the back to prevent poking (however I believe it will cost something).

I have got the 0.17ct in RG (which has a thicker bezel). Advantage is that the diamond looks bigger and does not poke. However it may be less shiny than the ones with the thin bezel. hth :smile:

wow this is really interesting and helpful - thank you!!
Unfortunately my passion is YG, so I guess there is no chance for me to get a not poking diamond without adding this "basket""?

Can the owners of the Tiffany DBTY in the version with 0.17 carat or bigger tell me about their experience with the diamond poking? Pleaaaase, this would be such a big help!!
I’ve worn three Tiffany DBTY together (0.26-0.36) for years and don’t notice the poking at all. Sleep in them even. I think it depends on how sensitive your skin is. I love Tiffany’s delicate look and how shiny the diamonds are!

I’ve worn three Tiffany DBTY together (0.26-0.36) for years and don’t notice the poking at all. Sleep in them even. I think it depends on how sensitive your skin is. I love Tiffany’s delicate look and how shiny the diamonds are!
thank you for sharing your experience :smile:
I am still not sure. the only thing that holds me back is the price of the Cartier :sad:

Last edited:
Reactions: nikkimau
I like the Cartier…
  • As a pendant. All bracelets like that tend to flip, and the reverse side of the legers shows too much of the unsightly mechanics in my opinion.
  • If it’s in rose gold or yellow gold, because whenever the white metal has platinum as an option, I’d rather go for that.
  • For the chain, because it’s a polished finish, and is thicker.
  • If it’s in a larger diamond size, because otherwise I think the wide bezel detracts from the center stone. Also, because the tail is quite heavy on the Cartier, the clasp isn’t very balanced if the stone is small. A smaller diamond is more likely to hide behind the neck as a result.
I like the Tiffany…
  • If the carat size is irrelevant. I think whether the stone is small or big, the proportions of the Tiffany bezel look better, because it doesn’t overpower the diamond.
  • If it’s in platinum. Just a stronger metal, and it won’t change color or tarnish. I think diamonds and platinum is always a superior combination to white gold. White gold just feels inferior IMO.
  • In a bracelet or multi-station necklace. The bracelet/necklace will still flip of course, but the reverse side of the DBTY looks much more presentable.
  • If I want a colored stone. Because Cartier doesn’t offer a variety of yellow diamonds or rubies or emeralds as alternatives.
  • If I want a more delicate look, because the chain is less obtrusive.
  • For its versatility. I think the DBTY layers nicely and is more compatible with other necklaces. Both the Cartier and Tiffany would be worn at the shorter length, because they’re “lighter” looking pieces. But if the chain of the Cartier legers is wider or more eye-catching than the chain of the longer pendant, then I think it looks a bit off-balance. I would much rather prefer my top necklace to have the thinner chain than the reverse. When the bottom necklace has the thinner chain, I just think it looks wrong.

Interesting...Thanks for your input. Are the Tiffany diamonds better priced and better quality? Also what is the smallest size one should buy and it still be noticeable?
Cannot say anything about the quality of the diamond as I don't have expertise on this, but I can tell you both are sparkly. I personally really like the chain of the DBTY. It's very thin and not shiny at all ("dull"), which makes the diamond sparkle more in contrast. I personally think the chain is very elegant and the DBTY fits very good also with a business outfit.
DLDC's chain in contrast is thicker and very shiny. It's also a pretty necklace, depends on your personal taste. Regarding the price, I think I paid like 1500€ for the DBTY (.17ct) and the DLDC in 0.18ct was like 2300€, its not a huge difference but the Cartier one is definitely pricier.

What I didn't like about the Tiffany purchase was the poor packaging, the box itself looks very cheap in comparison with Cartiers, no travel pouch, no cleaning set.

I chose the Tiffany one because I know I want to add a C de Cartier one day to my collection (I like its quadratic shape) and wanted to have a round solitaire diamond necklace with another chain style. :smile:

Regarding the size, get the biggest you can afford! Even the 0.17ct with thick bezel is still quite small lol.

Reactions: closetluxe
thank you for sharing your experience :smile:
I am still not sure. the only thing that holds me back is the price of the Cartier :sad:
If the price is the only thing holding you back, get the Cartier one! Something like this solitaire diamond will never go out of style and you will regret to have bought something else just because of the cheaper price :biggrin:

If the price is the only thing holding you back, get the Cartier one! Something like this solitaire diamond will never go out of style and you will regret to have bought something else just because of the cheaper price :biggrin:

Yes, you are totally right - I agree! I immediately fell in love with this piece! But I agree, that it is a bit sad that they do not offer a bigger variety of carat weight options. But anyway, more than 0.21 carat with Tiffany I would not like to afford and actually you cannot see a big difference from 0.21 carat with Tiffany and the 0.18 carat with Cartier :smile:

Update:
I bought the Cartier DL necklace! :smile: Somehow the yellow gold looks quite like rose gold. I ordered it online and I checked back with Cartier and sent in photos. They said it isthe yellow gold one, but when I compare my wedding ring or my other yellow gold necklace, it clearly has a rose gold undertone and I am not too happy about it.
Did anyone experience this or did they deliver the wrong metal to me? :biggrin:

Attachments

• Image from iOS (15).jpg
    Image from iOS (15).jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 465
  • Image from iOS (14).jpg
    Image from iOS (14).jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 456
for the RG DBTY (and I believe silver as well), for diamonds up to .17ct there is a thicker bezel (and wont poke). From 0.18ct you have the thin bezel. I also noticed in store that the thick RG bezel is more "red" than the thin RG bezel.
for the YG and Platinum version, you have always the thin bezel (regardless of the size of the diamond).

From my researches, a size 0.17 with the thin bezel will poke. However you can let them add a basket on the back to prevent poking (however I believe it will cost something).

I have got the 0.17ct in RG (which has a thicker bezel). Advantage is that the diamond looks bigger and does not poke. However it may be less shiny than the ones with the thin bezel. hth :smile:
I have the .17 DBTY in RG from Tiffany and have never felt the diamond poking me. I wear YG and RG but chose RG because I prefer the look of the thicker bezel.

I’ve worn it 24/7 for almost two years without issue; I wear it with my Open Heart necklace from Tiffany most of the time; even though they sometimes twist together I’ve never broken either. The chain is very fine but strong.

I am considering the Cartier version as a bracelet; I think I’d like the sparklier chain on my wrist but preferred matching chain styles around my neck.

I have the .17 DBTY in RG from Tiffany and have never felt the diamond poking me. I wear YG and RG but chose RG because I prefer the look of the thicker bezel.

I’ve worn it 24/7 for almost two years without issue; I wear it with my Open Heart necklace from Tiffany most of the time; even though they sometimes twist together I’ve never broken either. The chain is very fine but strong.

I am considering the Cartier version as a bracelet; I think I’d like the sparklier chain on my wrist but preferred matching chain styles around my neck.
i also have the DBTY necklace as I think tiffany diamonds are really bright and sparkly, and i like the floating look of it, but for bracelet I am also inclined to go for the cartier due to the sparkly chain! what size are you considering?

i also have the DBTY necklace as I think tiffany diamonds are really bright and sparkly, and i like the floating look of it, but for bracelet I am also inclined to go for the cartier due to the sparkly chain! what size are you considering?
I haven't tried it in person so I'm not entirely sure; maybe the small. I don't know if the dangly tail would get on my nerves, so I'd like to try it on first to see how I feel about it.

The alternatives are the DBTY version (single diamond or perhaps the three), or the Hardware Microlink bracelet. Very different looks, but I love both.