Cartier Diamants Leger vs Tiffany DBTY

jpezmom

Jan 24, 2015
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on the Cartier Leger necklace over the Tiffany Diamonds by the Yard version. Tiffany seems to have larger stone options, platinum chains, and a lower price point. Cartier may have better quality stones? Designs seems similar to me as well. Thanks for any feedback!!

DBTY necklaces I like Tiffany because it's simpler and perfect. I personally don't like the extra bit at the end of the clasp on the Cartier, or the bulkier C around the stone. Since it's such a light thing already, with the extra Cartier logo at the end it'd spin around to the front.

Bracelets, however, I really like Cartier's version! The dangle thing is cute on a bracelet!

As for the diamonds, Tiffany has better quality over Cartier IMO, but you should check each individual piece for quality.

DBTY necklaces I like Tiffany because it's simpler and perfect. I personally don't like the extra bit at the end of the clasp on the Cartier, or the bulkier C around the stone. Since it's such a light thing already, with the extra Cartier logo at the end it'd spin around to the front.

Bracelets, however, I really like Cartier's version! The dangle thing is cute on a bracelet!

As for the diamonds, Tiffany has better quality over Cartier IMO, but you should check each individual piece for quality.
Thank you mewt! I am leaning towards Tiffany and this info is very helpful. I always hear about how bright the Tiffany diamonds are as well.

I recently got the Cartier Diamants Legers in white gold, size L. Love it and wear it 24/7, except when cleaning. I chose it over the DBTY because I prefer how sparkly the chain and bezel are on the Cartier. When the light hits the bezel right, it really makes the diamond stand out. I also like the Cartier dangle clasp. The necklace has only spun around once and my husband thought I was wearing a new necklace. That said, I wish the diamond sparkled a bit more, although it's very white and clear.

I think if you want the focus to be on the necklace as a whole, go with Cartier. If you want the focus only on the diamond, go with Tiffany.

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on the Cartier Leger necklace over the Tiffany Diamonds by the Yard version. Tiffany seems to have larger stone options, platinum chains, and a lower price point. Cartier may have better quality stones? Designs seems similar to me as well. Thanks for any feedback!!

i had the same dilemma almost 10 years ago, when i compared the 2 the cartier was much better made IMO. I like the way the diamond is set but I do find that the diamond doesn't stay centered as the tag at the end of the necklace is quite heavy. Not sure about the tiffanys DBTY but one thing I like about that collection is that there are alot more options in terms of size and style. good luck deciding you can't go wrong with either.

I recently got the Cartier Diamants Legers in white gold, size L. Love it and wear it 24/7, except when cleaning. I chose it over the DBTY because I prefer how sparkly the chain and bezel are on the Cartier. When the light hits the bezel right, it really makes the diamond stand out. I also like the Cartier dangle clasp. The necklace has only spun around once and my husband thought I was wearing a new necklace. That said, I wish the diamond sparkled a bit more, although it's very white and clear.

I think if you want the focus to be on the necklace as a whole, go with Cartier. If you want the focus only on the diamond, go with Tiffany.

Thank you, dottiebbb, for your insights and photos! I think the L is a perfect size and agree that the chain is so bright and dainty, highlighting the diamond. Interesting to hear about the clasp spinning around. Does the diamond ever flip on you or poke in the back? I can't recall how the diamond is set in the bezel. I always thought I would get a platinum chain but it seems the white gold works well and holds up nicely. Luckily I don't have small kids pulling on my necklaces!

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
i had the same dilemma almost 10 years ago, when i compared the 2 the cartier was much better made IMO. I like the way the diamond is set but I do find that the diamond doesn't stay centered as the tag at the end of the necklace is quite heavy. Not sure about the tiffanys DBTY but one thing I like about that collection is that there are alot more options in terms of size and style. good luck deciding you can't go wrong with either.
Thanks, ici! There are definitely more size options with Tiffany and the bezel design may differ based on the type of gold or platinum? I need to do a little more research (still reading through the Tiffany thread on tpf!). I wonder if Cartier would make a necklace with a larger size diamond to keep the chain from spinning to the front, but the SA said larger diamonds wouldn't set as well in their bezel. I do love Cartier and am partial to the brand. This will be a tough decision. I'll go in and try these on to see which speaks to me more!

DH gifted me a Tiffany DBTY necklace a few years ago, love it. I have the 3 diamonds in platinum chain, diamonds are sparkly and the center diamond stays centered most of the time.
Thank you, Makenna, for this feedback! The sparkle effect of the Tiffany diamonds seems to be pretty unanimous from people who own the DBTY or any Tiffany diamond. This is great to hear. Hmm....you've got me thinking that maybe the multi-diamond version DBTY + Cartier Legers is the way to go. Best of both worlds!

Do you like the DBTY platinum chain? I love diamonds with platinum. I do think the Cartier chain being in white gold is a little brighter but doesn't feel as sturdy as a platinum chain.

Reactions: marie132
Thank you, Makenna, for this feedback! The sparkle effect of the Tiffany diamonds seems to be pretty unanimous from people who own the DBTY or any Tiffany diamond. This is great to hear. Hmm....you've got me thinking that maybe the multi-diamond version DBTY + Cartier Legers is the way to go. Best of both worlds!

Do you like the DBTY platinum chain? I love diamonds with platinum. I do think the Cartier chain being in white gold is a little brighter but doesn't feel as sturdy as a platinum chain.

I think DH bought my Tiffany DBTY versus Cartier is because Tiffany offers platinum chains. I am allergic to nickel and most white gold contains nickel if it's not rodium plated so I couldn't wear it. I think you couldn't go wrong with either one and yes both would be even better!!

I too was part of the great debate , between these 2 necklace. Tiffanys vs Cartier. I ended up buying the yellow gold Cartier diamants de leger small Xsize. It is my every day necklace. I have not taken off once in 9 months and it holds up extremely well. I have to agree with other commenters tho...it drives me nuts that the little dangle C seems to make its way to the bottom of my neck. This is the only negative thing I can say about this necklace. I love it so much I want to buy the matching bracelet, but the dangle part is stopping me. Im afraid it will always turn like my necklace. Now that I own it, I am really wanting to get the Tiffany DBTY one in Platinum. Thant way I can wear yello or white metals depending on my outfit for the day. I really thinks you can't go wrong with either of these necklaces!! They are both beautiful . I will post a pic of how it looks on my neck when the dangle C constantly turns to the bottom of my neck

Reactions: jpezmom