Cartier ballerine

honeybeez

Apr 1, 2007
How many carats do u gals think will look nice in this setting so that the diamond wont look lost?
And those of u who owned a cartier diamond, is H color save?
As for tiffany's some claim even an "i" color still look as white as "f". Does this applied to cartier diamonds as well?
Thank u all so much. :smile:

I recently tried on a 1ct rb, 2ct oval and 2ct rb ballerine.
The style doesn't show off the center stone like most delicate settings or plain solitaires do(e.g. Tiffany's classic 6 prong solitaire)
but the overall ring does look more substantial because of extra diamonds & thicker band.
I felt that the setting swallowed 1ct center stone and made it look smaller than it does.
I didn't feel this way as much with the 2ct rb or oval.
I think ovals or emerald cuts look better in that setting than rb.

The oval was H and I thought it was unusually yellow. Perhaps it was the lighting. I was told their stones have GIA certificates.

The ballerine is gorgeous~ :love:

I tried on 1ct and 1.5ct (both round diamond) before, I personally love the 1.5ct more. The Cartier SA told me H color is their best selling color but not sure if that's true though. :P

I have a 2 ct EC ballerine...yes each setting is made specifically to the stone you pick. And the settings vary slightly depending on the width of the stone you chose...for example wider ECs get only one little diamond in between the bigger ones on the "swoops" and thinner EC's get 2....I think all rounds get 1.

I think anything over a carat looks nice in the setting, it does not get "lost" like it would in a halo, or overly pave setting because the swoops lead your eye to the center stone, it does not overpower the main attraction at all, BUT it does not do anything to make the stone appear bigger than it is. Since the sides match up to the center stones height, you dont get that ratio of a simple band width vs. stone width/height...does that makes sense?

My advice would be try on a premade one in the size closet to the stones you are considering.

Also, another thing to think about (besides the high markup you will pay for a cartier diamond) is you cannot upgrade to a bigger diamond in this setting, you would need to get an entirely new ring for it to look right...

thank u ladies for taking the time to reply to this. :smile:
if i were to get this ring from cartier, it will be the one and forever ring! considering the high premium, i can only afford one piece in my whole lifetime.

balenciagaplanet, ur emerald cut ballerine is certainly gorgeous beyond words. too bad i cannot afford a F color and over 2 carats. if i am to choose something around 1.5 carats, i have to go down in color..either G or H and vs2.

lv_lover : the one i tried in the store is 1 carat. n i felt it look lost thus i didnt request to try on the bigger ones cause i thought the setting is not nice with the 1 carat. hehehe. u might be right, i have to try on the 1.5 carat n see how it looks like.

sooyang : i didnt know they have the oval in the ballerine setting. my store here only have the ballerine with the rb. and i know about the emerald cut in this setting from balenciagaplanet. the catalogue also has a picture of the ballerine with emerald cut. but not the oval. did u take any photos of the ballerine ring when u tried it on? :smile:

By looking at cartier online website prices, i think i can afford no larger than 1.5 carat.
If given a choice of 1.3 carat, G color, vs2 and 1.42 carat, H color, vs2... Which is a better option considering the price is same! :smile:

to be honest, a g color and an h color will not be that significant. I'm sure cartier will have ideal cuts so it would be beautiful regardless of color. Keep in mind that color can sometimes be subjective depending on who's grading your diamond. It can vary depending on the grader. on that note, a variance of one on the grading scale will not be that noticeable to the naked eye. hope this helps....