Carrying a backpack around is the same as a tote....or is it? HELP

Mar 28, 2015
I just purchased a backpack online that I needed for school. It actually isn't water resistant material like I thought, it's just nylon. It's cute enough and I wouldn't mind using it as an everyday bag. But my question is... would that be considered tacky? I don't wanna look younger than I actually am..Technically, a backpack and large/medium tote are the same size dimensions.. the only difference is that you would carry the tote over the shoulders vs carry the backpack and be virtually hands free.

It's as big as a normal school backpack and I guess you could consider it "flashy" but to justify my purchase - I told myself it's equivalent to carrying a large tote around. No? Yes?

Backpack
  • Dimensions: 12" X 15.94" X 6.69"
2896245-Dark%20Green-a4598c50-.jpeg

Example Tote: Coach Market Tote (picture here)
Dimensions
  • 19" (L) x 11 1/4" (H) x 6" (W)

They are different, imo.
Tote you linked would work with everything from dressy to casual.
Your backpack is casual.

Yes, some rocker-edgy types might wear nylon camo backpacks with ball gowns.
But that's odd, imo.
And tacky.

For schlepping your daily stuff, sure.
Carry one-shoulder, if want more tote-ish feel.
Add a puffer vest, right on trend.:tup:

But, overall, tote most versatile, imo.

Hope helps.

They are different, imo.
Tote you linked would work with everything from dressy to casual.
Your backpack is casual.

Yes, some rocker-edgy types might wear nylon camo backpacks with ball gowns.
But that's odd, imo.
And tacky.

For schlepping your daily stuff, sure.
Carry one-shoulder, if want more tote-ish feel.
Add a puffer vest, right on trend.:tup:

But, overall, tote most versatile, imo.

Hope helps.

Thank you! Yes it did..I'm still a student and I'm usually not very dressed up during the daytime, so hoping this backpack can double as workhouse and purse at the same time, without making me look too young lol. I guess I didn't pick the right tote, although you are right the coach looks very cute! I just used a random tote to reference the size, I'm not looking into buying any tote at the moment :smile:

Reactions: remainsilly
I am 45 but don't feel I am too old for a backpack. When you are my age you will miss the days when you feared you look "too young" so enjoy it while it lasts ;) it goes by in a flash!

I like your backpack, great print and colour.

Reactions: chessmont
I just carried a backpack to work today. Sometimes I let it hang on one shoulder and other days I carry it properly. The previous time I carried a backpack was last weekend. I just turned 38 and don't feel one bit too old for a backpack. On the other hand, there are people in their early 20's who I could never imagine carrying a backpack.

I have a few backpacks I still carry but they're for hiking (camo print army surplus) or the gym/dance classes (Burberry reverse check) or Chanel (fun in the Summer - but I wear it on one shoulder anyway).

Annoying thing about backpacks Vs every other bag

1. They have to be taken off every time you sit down (otherwise you and your bag will not fit on the chair including on public transport). Usually too big to put on your lap or awkward shape to put between your legs. This in turn also means having to swing it round to put on, very tricky on public transport...

which brings me to 2.

2. Knowing how many times I have been hit in the face or chest by the so fashionable backpack-laptop case you have to be careful not to turn around to quickly when fairly loaded, not good for shopping for china or glass and...

3. Don't wear over formal/nice coats or jackets, they will be ruined.

Last edited:
A backpack is much more practical for a student, in my opinion. I can't imagine carrying school books in a tote. Makes my back hurt to think about it. A backpack on campus is totally in context and plenty stylish.

You have the rest of your life to carry chic totes. :flowers:

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
A backpack is much more practical for a student, in my opinion. I can't imagine carrying school books in a tote. Makes my back hurt to think about it. A backpack on campus is totally in context and plenty stylish.

You have the rest of your life to carry chic totes. :flowers:

That is true, you can def carry weightier amounts :yes:

I have the LV Palm Springs backpack in the PM size, which is the middle size. It's smaller than a regular backpack, more like a purse. I do find it a bit annoying to have to zip and unzip every time I want to put something in or take something out. The thing with a backpack, as opposed to a purse or tote, is you can't leave it open and throw things in. Also, that one you chose is quite casual so it limits you a little.

I'm in the minority here, I think backpacks are great and chic. Totes are open which is a pain when running around with books, tablets, papers, laptop, etc.
A good backpack can be carried by the top loop or by one strap and is as versatile as most bags.
AND, if you do load it up, a backpack is much, much healthier than a heavy one-shoulder bag.