Carrie Prejean Drops Million Dollar Lawsuit (Warning! Not for "Sensitive" Readers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShimmaPuff

Sentient IMBUSILE
Oct 12, 2006
Note: The links will contain additional details and language that may not be a good cultural fit for all readers, as will visiting the websites referenced, or other websites. In fact, this story itself may not be a good cultural fit for all readers, and I defer to the good sense of those readers to choose to read about something else.

I have tried, as much as is possible, to include the basics of the story without language that could be distressing to sensitive readers. If I have epically failed, I defer to Our Serene Management to edit it or delete it.

Prejean was fired in June after lingerie-modeling photos of her emerged that pageant officials said were a breach of her contract. Prejean sued the pageant in August, arguing her firing was religious discrimination....

A settlement of both lawsuits was signed in New York Tuesday, but no details were made public...

The veil of secrecy was partially lifted Wednesday after celebrity gossip Web site TMZ reported the deal was sealed after pageant lawyers presented an (adjectival phrase that might not be a good cultural fit for some readers)...home video involving Prejean...Link
When the video started playing, Carrie's first reaction was "that's disgusting" ... and Carrie denied it was her.

Then, the camera... and panned up to her face...Carrie...immediately began talking with her lawyer. We're told it took about 15 seconds for Carrie to drop her $1 million dollar demand...Link
According to another story on the TMZ site, Carrie's mother was present in the courtroom.

They also have an excerpt from her book:
Unfortunately, (material that could be distressing to some readers) has become mainstreamed — it rushes at us through big screens, portable screens...the envelope of what seems acceptable seems to get pushed farther and farther as more and more people are exposed to this material.

Yes, I think she got what she deserved. Serves her right. She could have been graceful and simply said that she did not believe in same sex marriage as her personal choice. But instead she pleaded the "biblically correct" position, which lured in all the religious based support for her claim. Last time I checked, premarital sex was not "biblically correct" either. Neither is fornication or sexual perversions, which is masturbation.
What's ringing in my head right about now is the age old saying...thos who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I think she got what she deserved. Serves her right. She could have been graceful and simply said that she did not believe in same sex marriage as her personal choice. But instead she pleaded the "biblically correct" position, which lured in all the religious based support for her claim. Last time I checked, premarital sex was not "biblically correct" either. Neither is fornication or sexual perversions, which is masturbation.
What's ringing in my head right about now is the age old saying...thos who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
Just my 2 cents.

ITA. I wish I could have seen her face when she realized it was her. It was probably priceless.

what's the point of this thread? I can just picture things getting 'heated' in here.

Well, she is a celebrity, and one who had filed a lawsuit for a million dollars against the entity that produces a very high profile pageant, one in which she was a contestant.

She has now dropped that lawsuit, so the story is celebrity news.

Because the lawsuit is dropped, the original controversy that might have sparked "heated" discussions between those who share her beliefs and those who don't is now moot.

The thing I thought was interesting, though, was not any of that.

Although I am not personally part of the pageant subculture, I think if I were I would be somewhat annoyed at her for a different reason now, because the story does contain an element of an offensive stereotype of pageant participants - in the reports that she characterized the video as disgusting until the camera reached her face, which would indicate that she was unable to recognize the images of portions of her own body.

My own view is that while she is in no way representative of the pageant subculture as a whole, that in itself pretty much makes the point that "pageant contestants" are a very diverse lot, and like the general population, will just statistically include, along with some that are very smart, some that are indeed not so smart, as well as some troubled individuals, and I do think that the picture of Carrie that emerges is of a very troubled, very conflicted young woman who we can all hope will become, as the years pass, less so, as well as smarter.

I don't think it is necessary to either share her beliefs or be part of the pageant subculture to grasp the concept of failing to measure up to one's own standards from time to time, and from previous statements she has made, it would seem that the dropping of the lawsuit stems from an occasion where she did something that is at variance with her beliefs.

Just my 2 cents.

:yes:

Well, she is a celebrity, and one who had filed a lawsuit for a million dollars against the entity that produces a very high profile pageant, one in which she was a contestant.

She has now dropped that lawsuit, so the story is celebrity news.

Because the lawsuit is dropped, the original controversy that might have sparked "heated" discussions between those who share her beliefs and those who don't is now moot.

The thing I thought was interesting, though, was not any of that.

Although I am not personally part of the pageant subculture, I think if I were I would be somewhat annoyed at her for a different reason now, because the story does contain an element of an offensive stereotype of pageant participants - in the reports that she characterized the video as disgusting until the camera reached her face, which would indicate that she was unable to recognize the images of portions of her own body.

My own view is that while she is in no way representative of the pageant subculture as a whole, that in itself pretty much makes the point that "pageant contestants" are a very diverse lot, and like the general population, will just statistically include, along with some that are very smart, some that are indeed not so smart, as well as some troubled individuals, and I do think that the picture of Carrie that emerges is of a very troubled, very conflicted young woman who we can all hope will become, as the years pass, less so, as well as smarter.

I don't think it is necessary to either share her beliefs or be part of the pageant subculture to grasp the concept of failing to measure up to one's own standards from time to time, and from previous statements she has made, it would seem that the dropping of the lawsuit stems from an occasion where she did something that is at variance with her beliefs.

:confused1:

Status
Not open for further replies.