Carnelian Color Options

Croissant

Detective Hermès!
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
I exchanged my 10 motif Carnelian for my dream 20 motif. I did this blindly as boutiques were not yet open here. I'm trying to figure out if 1) this carnelian is the same "Colorway" as my previous 10 (i liked that color very much) and 2) whether it's worth exploring other carnelian 20's once the boutique opens for appointments. My SA says she will order a few for me to give me options but warned me that most 20's have the same brownish look for carnelian. My style is tinged gothic, so I appreciate deep burgundy tones especially set against gold. But this 20 is an iron brown that appears a little orange in the sun. Is there any other option? Like a cooler toned brown that reads more of a true burgundy? Am I expecting too much from carnelian? If anyone has any comparison photos to show me just how many variations are possible in carnelian, especially in the 20 motif, it would be most appreciated. My heart is set on carnelian, I just want to be obsessed with the version I wind up living with.
Pics of old versus new for reference:
(OLD 10 MOTIF is seen in the closet photos)

Attachments

• IMG_6635.jpeg
    IMG_6635.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_6633.jpeg
    IMG_6633.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_3562.jpeg
    IMG_3562.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3560.jpeg
    IMG_3560.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3559.jpeg
    IMG_3559.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_3558.jpeg
    IMG_3558.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 247
In reading here on this forum, people say that carnelian can lean toward orange or brown but some are more blood red. It sounds like you want the blood red with as little brown or orange as possible. I would, too! I absolutely would let your SA call some in and go choose the color you like best. There's no way I'd settle on the stones in a piece this expensive!

In reading here on this forum, people say that carnelian can lean toward orange or brown but some are more blood red. It sounds like you want the blood red with as little brown or orange as possible. I would, too! I absolutely would let your SA call some in and go choose the color you like best. There's no way I'd settle on the stones in a piece this expensive!
Thank you! It’s good to know this exists. I didn’t really examine my 10 motif carnelian because I liked the color off the bat. With this one, perhaps because the motifs are doubled, the color of the carnelian is overwhelming. Because of that it’s hard not to notice that I’m not 100% in love with this particular color. If blood red exists is like to find it! I hope the differences are apparent enough that one of the 20s will speak to me immediately. This carnelian is almost like the color of iron, if that makes any sense.

Reactions: DS2006
Yes, there was a thread on here where someone was sending their husband to look at carnelian and gold alternating motif bracelets when he was in London and it was a special item available there. All of them were brownish, so she didn't have him purchase one. Another member liked the orange-red, and she did buy one of the bracelets. I'll see if I can find that so you can see those colors. But I have seen several people say they prefer the more blood red, so it is possible!

Reactions: Croissant
Yes, there was a thread on here where someone was sending their husband to look at carnelian and gold alternating motif bracelets when he was in London and it was a special item available there. All of them were brownish, so she didn't have him purchase one. Another member liked the orange-red, and she did buy one of the bracelets. I'll see if I can find that so you can see those colors. But I have seen several people say they prefer the more blood red, so it is possible!
Thank you so much!

Do you see a difference in the photos I posted? The first two with my dresses is the old 10 motif and the rest are my 20. In some photos the 20 looks almost like the 10 in color but in others I think you can see the difference. It’s minute but makes an impact I think.

There's a red one posted on this page by LadyCupid:

Beautiful red shown by Stardust Andromeda:

expatwife posts the photos of the brownish and orange ones seen by her husband in London:

Do you see a difference in the photos I posted? The first two with my dresses is the old 10 motif and the rest are my 20. In some photos the 20 looks almost like the 10 in color but in others I think you can see the difference. It’s minute but makes an impact I think.

I think I can see a difference. But you really need to see them all in the same, good lighting to tell the difference.

Reactions: Croissant
There's a red one posted on this page by LadyCupid:

Beautiful red shown by Stardust Andromeda:

expatwife posts the photos of the brownish and orange ones seen by her husband in London:

Thank you these are great. I saved stardust’s photo and will text it to my SA tomorrow. I am also exchanging my between the finger onyx and gray mop ring because the gray mop isn’t the right tone either. Buying these stones blindly is not something I recommend because with both purchases I’m not 100% happy with the coloring.

I 100% agree with you! I don't have a boutique near me, and it is frustrating not to be able to travel! I agree that almost all the stones have to be seen in person to compare with others. Onyx might be the one exception!!! Good luck and do come back and show the new pieces you choose!

Hi @Croissant !

I asked the boutique for a carnelian - first one was orange which didn't sing to me. So I asked for something really red. The SA got it immediately and it was love at first sight.

I never knew carnelian can look brown until I visited selfridges. But we all see colours differently because I don't see brown in the 20M you posted. :biggrin:
2018_06_22A.JPG2020-06-21 at 14.09.58.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi @Croissant !

I asked the boutique for a carnelian - first one was orange which didn't sing to me. So I asked for something really red. The SA got it immediately and it was love at first sight.

I never knew carnelian can look brown until I visited selfridges. But we all see colours differently because I don't see brown in the 20M you posted. :biggrin:
View attachment 4764419View attachment 4764436

wow it is so tricky to capture carnelian in true light. because in your photos here it looks a little bit more like mine. i think in the last image where the 20 is on my bed you can see the difference best. i would describe the necklace as very dark almost chocolate in indoor lighting and orangey/light brown like the color of the mineral iron in outdoor lighting. yours looks more bright brown/burgundy in indoor lighting which is what i like, and more reddish than orange in outdoor lighting which is also my preference. i want the carnelian to be dark but i also want it to be bright enough that it pops on my pale skin.

Reactions: Stardust Andromeda
wow it is so tricky to capture carnelian in true light. because in your photos here it looks a little bit more like mine. i think in the last image where the 20 is on my bed you can see the difference best. i would describe the necklace as very dark almost chocolate in indoor lighting and orangey/light brown like the color of the mineral iron in outdoor lighting. yours looks more bright brown/burgundy in indoor lighting which is what i like, and more reddish than orange in outdoor lighting which is also my preference. i want the carnelian to be dark but i also want it to be bright enough that it pops on my pale skin.
Wow! I learn something new everyday. Now, I see the difference indeed. Red wine / Ribena is lovely indeed. I see the brown in the carnelian placed on the bed. It is pretty deep.

I completely understand- I bought my VA carnelian earrings in the US and my 20 motif in France just to get the blood red match...
may i ask how much of a difference can there be? i want to manage my expectations. my SA says she has a good idea now of the color im looking for but warned me that most 20s are on the brown side, not bright, because it takes many more motifs to match. So since my heart is set on carnelian, at what point should i say, "ok this is as close as i can get"? also, may i see a photo of your 20 just to show her that blood red exists. :flowers: