CARING for your RM bag...

Yes i think this needs to be sticky'd as well. Thank you Gung for taking the time to do this!

Ladies- this is very helpful! Please refer to this thread for any cleaning/protecting questions instead of starting new threads! :yes:

This is great, Gung! Thank you for all your effort in putting this together.

So now that we know which products to use, can someone explain HOW MUCH and HOW to use these products? I bought the Apple products, but the instructions are very vague.

To start, here are my specific questions:
a) Apple Garde Rain & Stain Repellant - How much do we need to spray onto the bags? Do we "saturate" the bags or just give it a light dusting? Also, I've heard that you need to let them dry before the 2nd application, but for how long (30 mins, a day?). And for the 2nd application, same questions... saturate or light dusting? Lastly, how do you know (ie after using the bag) when to reapply?

b) Apple Leather Care - This is the conditioner (and not the cleaner), right? So again, how much do we need to use... dime-size amount or more? And should we use circular motions (like waxing a car) or something else? Also, I've heard that after applying, it may leave a "dulling" residue that can be wiped off - after how long should we wipe this off, and are people sure that this does NOT affect the leather at all?

Please comment if you know... TIA!!!

a) A light dusting each time you spray. Give it about 10-15 minutes to dry, then do another light dusting to make sure you've covered everything. You can reapply as needed, like if you've just been out in the rain and had to wipe off the bag, or notice that water isn't beading up and rolling off any more. Do NOT saturate the bag!

b) Apply a dime-sized amount at a time, in a circular motion. Just a little covers a large area. Make sure you don't rub it in, just apply lightly to the surface. After it's dry (I think about 30 mins?) take a soft cloth and buff the bag to get rid of any dullness.

And with ANYTHING you put on your leather bags, please do a test spot before applying to the whole bag! I can't emphasize this enough. Even if someone else says "yeah, it worked great on my bag!" you never know if it might somehow affect your bag differently. Test in an inconspicious area (like the bottom, or the underside of a flap, etc.) and let it dry for a day or so, then go back and check the spot. If it looks fine, proceed!

Anybody tried Tarrago leather cleaner on their RM bags? I have a Dusty MAN and it is even harder to maintain since the color is so light :sad: After a few uses, I noticed the underside of the handles have already slightly darkened, and I don't even carry her by hand!:wtf: Usually on the crook of my arm or over the shoulder. Also 1 corner has darkened..I tried Tarrago since it worled well with my other bags, but it just made the corner darken even more, so I just quit trying to clean it. What you guys think?

Thanks for the detailed instructions, mockinglee... How did you treat your Wine MAM? In this thread I started a while back, you mentioned that you used Lovin' My Bags moisturizer on it, but did you use anything else prior to that as a protectant?
I recently got my Wine MAM, and I'm confused as to whether I should use the Apple Leather Care lotion first and then spray it with Apple Garde...
I know, I'm such a dork! :shame:
TIA!

I agree, this thread should be stickied! Thanks so much for starting this thread, Gung! I too have been carrying my bags with nothing used on them, because I was worried about what to use and how to use it. I actually just started a thread asking about leather conditioners because I couldn't find this one.

This is great, Gung! Thank you for all your effort in putting this together.

So now that we know which products to use, can someone explain HOW MUCH and HOW to use these products? I bought the Apple products, but the instructions are very vague.

To start, here are my specific questions:
a) Apple Garde Rain & Stain Repellant - How much do we need to spray onto the bags? Do we "saturate" the bags or just give it a light dusting? Also, I've heard that you need to let them dry before the 2nd application, but for how long (30 mins, a day?). And for the 2nd application, same questions... saturate or light dusting? Lastly, how do you know (ie after using the bag) when to reapply?

b) Apple Leather Care - This is the conditioner (and not the cleaner), right? So again, how much do we need to use... dime-size amount or more? And should we use circular motions (like waxing a car) or something else? Also, I've heard that after applying, it may leave a "dulling" residue that can be wiped off - after how long should we wipe this off, and are people sure that this does NOT affect the leather at all?

Please comment if you know... TIA!!!

WHAT ABOUT THE HARDWARE...when spraying the stain repellent will the hardware tarnish?