Caring for new Leather Bag

leather123

Jan 7, 2019
Please help!!

All I wanted for Christmas was a leather tote bag, and I’m so happy to have it. But I’m terrified to use it for fear of stainings, especially water stains.I bought it from fashionable, and I want to take good care of it since it was in the 3 digits. I researched and found the Apple Brand a well recommended spray, but since this is my first leather bag, I had some questions

If it’s brand new, do I still need to use a leather cleaner and conditioner? Or can I just spray the protectant? Can I condition it later when needed over the protectant spray?

I’ll also take any over all tips for prevention and care! Thank you.

Please help!!

All I wanted for Christmas was a leather tote bag, and I’m so happy to have it. But I’m terrified to use it for fear of stainings, especially water stains.I bought it from fashionable, and I want to take good care of it since it was in the 3 digits. I researched and found the Apple Brand a well recommended spray, but since this is my first leather bag, I had some questions

If it’s brand new, do I still need to use a leather cleaner and conditioner? Or can I just spray the protectant? Can I condition it later when needed over the protectant spray?

I use the apple garde protectant on a new bag without cleaning or conditioning first....never had a problem

Reactions: leather123
The company I bought the bag from recommends Fiebing's Leather Sheen or Dr Jackson's Rain and Stain repellent. any thoughts on those versus the Apple brand?

The company I bought the bag from recommends Fiebing's Leather Sheen or Dr Jackson's Rain and Stain repellent. any thoughts on those versus the Apple brand?
never used those but I think if you do a search here you'll probably see something on fiebing's....sounds familiar
I've used other brands - something from Nordstrom I think

Firstly congratulations!

Different leather types, finish and colours react to various products and brands differently. I would always stick to those recommended (so long as it was the company itself that recommended ad not just a SA). Most leather should be fit for purpose and left to age and weather naturally without any product anyway and you will be able to clean and polish better without (IMO) but go with what makes you feel comfortable ad makes sense.

Please help!!

what color is your bag?
I don't treat black or very dark colored bags.....but then again we don't get a lot of rain here

what color is your bag?
I don't treat black or very dark colored bags.....but then again we don't get a lot of rain here

It’s like a chestnut brown. It rains randomly where I go to school so that’s my concern. The Apple brand water repellent has great reviews, but I’m still wondering if I should go with what the company recommended. Also, I believe the ones they recomended are silicone based

Attachments

• 5D3D90F8-3D19-4BC9-A8A0-4FD7965A5376.jpeg
    5D3D90F8-3D19-4BC9-A8A0-4FD7965A5376.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 221
Reactions: remainsilly
It’s like a chestnut brown. It rains randomly where I go to school so that’s my concern. The Apple brand water repellent has great reviews, but I’m still wondering if I should go with what the company recommended. Also, I believe the ones they recomended are silicone based
Just use it.
Bag is that lovely, magical brown tone--which gets better as add use/patina.
Open tote, in rain, may require scarf to cover contents.
Otherwise, I feel you're good to go.:tup:

I think either product would be fine but if you can find the one the company recommended, then maybe just go with that. I can only get Applegarde online

that does look like nice leather.....I like that color