Caring for different calfskin items.

Hi girls. I am a Chanel newbie and also very confused between caviar and calfskin leather. Can someone please enlighten me. :smile:

Caviar is the name Chanel gives to its pebbled calfskin leather. There is also smooth calfskin, as well as aged calfskin (it looks like it has wrinkles and such), and glazed or other treated calfskin. Chanel also uses goatskin, lambskin, and other leathers for bags.

Hi everyone, i just got this brown calfskin. Is there any waterproof spray to apply with it since the color is light.

Thank you
I've not ever waterproofed any of my bags, but I suppose you could use any top quality waterproof spray made for calf leather, but I'd avoid anything with silicone. You still want the leather to breathe. I know Docride on the Hermes board recommends Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP, which is not a spray but more of a wax type substance that you apply with your fingers.
Thanks for explaining.

You are very welcome. :smile:

Is metallic calfskin pretty durable? I heard it is easier to care for compared to lambskin.

Lambskin is definitely more durable than metallic leathers. You can condition and refurbish lambskin much easier than you can maybe do so for metallics. Some metallic leathers you can't do either to.

Lambskin is definitely more durable than metallic leathers. You can condition and refurbish lambskin much easier than you can maybe do so for metallics. Some metallic leathers you can't do either to.
have you used la mer moisturizer on your chanel bags to keep them clean and moisturized? a SA told me to do this.

have you used la mer moisturizer on your chanel bags to keep them clean and moisturized? a SA told me to do this.

As mentioned in your other post, there is no way I would use any face cream on a leather bag. Your face and the leather have different qualities, ph, etc. Your face is a structure that is constantly being renewed, whereas the leather stopped doing that as soon as...well, you know. Then the tanning process changes the leather again, as does the dye process. No face creams, botox, collagen injections, etc. should be used on leather, only products made for leather. Since I posted here about not using things, I now have a huge arsenal of products for calf, lamb, patent, reptile, etc. and I have used them for bags and shoes. I now waterproof many of my shoes and bags. I just can't ever see using any facial products on bags, and I'm quite surprised a SA told you to do this!

As mentioned in your other post, there is no way I would use any face cream on a leather bag. Your face and the leather have different qualities, ph, etc. Your face is a structure that is constantly being renewed, whereas the leather stopped doing that as soon as...well, you know. Then the tanning process changes the leather again, as does the dye process. No face creams, botox, collagen injections, etc. should be used on leather, only products made for leather. Since I posted here about not using things, I now have a huge arsenal of products for calf, lamb, patent, reptile, etc. and I have used them for bags and shoes. I now waterproof many of my shoes and bags. I just can't ever see using any facial products on bags, and I'm quite surprised a SA told you to do this!

Hi Tutu, I just purchased a black boy in metallic calf. Can you please share what you would use to protect/condition this bag? I searched the forum but did not find any thing.

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Hi Tutu, have you ever used collonil leather gel and cadillac leaher cream? Which one is better? Is it necessary to apply these two prouducts on brand new caviar flaps first before carry? BTW, what do you use to clean the caviar leather after carry? TIA!:flowers:

Hi Tutu, have you ever used collonil leather gel and cadillac leaher cream? Which one is better? Is it necessary to apply these two prouducts on brand new caviar flaps first before carry? BTW, what do you use to clean the caviar leather after carry? TIA!:flowers:

I have the gel but haven't used it yet. Not sure which cream you mean from Cadillac. I've used their regular one in the black/red bottle. I don't think you need to put anything on caviar before you use it; it's pretty resilient. I did use Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP and Blackrock Thick N Rich on a pair of caviar shoes (not the first time I wore them) to test out the waterproof treatment using those that I believe I read on Docride's thread. I don't have much caviar, mainly shoes and I just wipe them off. It's not like it's getting dirty when you carry it unless you're in an ash storm or something. If that were to happen, I'd clean off the ash.

I have the gel but haven't used it yet. Not sure which cream you mean from Cadillac. I've used their regular one in the black/red bottle. I don't think you need to put anything on caviar before you use it; it's pretty resilient. I did use Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP and Blackrock Thick N Rich on a pair of caviar shoes (not the first time I wore them) to test out the waterproof treatment using those that I believe I read on Docride's thread. I don't have much caviar, mainly shoes and I just wipe them off. It's not like it's getting dirty when you carry it unless you're in an ash storm or something. If that were to happen, I'd clean off the ash.

Thank you so much Tutu for the quick reply! I guess I'll leave my caviar flaps alone not to test them with any chemical stuff since they are all fine now.:ghi5:

Hi

I have a calfskin material wallet and it just got stained yesterday with pen ink

. I panicked and used wet tissue to wipe it and dried it and the leather peeled off :sad: now the whole patch is white
What whould I do
It's a pink wallet :sad: