Caring For Coach Leather

darkangel07760

metalhead
O.G.
Mar 27, 2009
Alabama
I was curious as to how often people here conditioned their Coach's? I live in California,which is a relatively dry climate, but I am just not sure how often to Apple my leathers.
Is it an infrequent as once a year?
Or as frequesnt as weekly?
Let me know your thoughts!

emilybug

purse fickle
O.G.
Feb 21, 2010
Tulsa
I think it's a matter of personal choice. If I haven't used a bag in a long time, and it's been stored in its dust bag, I'll usually apple it before I use it. Certain leathers I like to be more supple than others, so I'll apple them more often. I don't think it hurts to do it however often you like, as long as it's not an exotic leather or something like that.

darkangel07760

metalhead
O.G.
Mar 27, 2009
Alabama
i know it may sound strange, but for example, i have not kept up with conditioning my leather seats in my car, and now my driver's seat is cracked. That's what got me to thinking about if that is happeneing to my seat after five years...

ildera5

Bag Lovers Unite!
O.G.
Feb 17, 2007
GTA, Ontario
Ah, I see your point. I never thought of that esp. since I don't drive and the car we have does not have leather seats :smile:.

irr_actor

Dec 9, 2010
Oxford, UK
darkangel07760 said:
i know it may sound strange, but for example, i have not kept up with conditioning my leather seats in my car, and now my driver's seat is cracked. That's what got me to thinking about if that is happeneing to my seat after five years...
LOL - my dad always had me take care of the leather seats in various used cars over the years - that is where I learned what little I know about leather! Several coats of Lexol will do wonders on the carseats, even if they have already started to look cracked - it softens the edges of the cracks and can make the lines almost invisible. I wonder if blackrock might do wonders as well.

I try to give all my bags (and leather shoes) a very light coat of the correct conditioner every 9-12 months, more often if I wear them a lot and in the places where oils are the worst (handles, where your arm rests against a shoulder bag.) Sweat and pressure are a lethal combo for leather, so if it is hot I try to wipe the bag down with a damp cloth before storing it again.

Apr 29, 2009
I baby my leather bags and pay close attention to care instructions. However, my leather bags only need to be cleaned with damp cloth.

I do own a bottle of Coach Leather Moisturzier and was told it is much gentler than Coach Leather Cleaner. Perhaps I will get other leather bags which need leather moisturizer someday.

SophieChic

Oct 6, 2011
Sierra Nevada Mountains CA
I also don't put anything on my leather bags and they seem to age fine. I also live in CA. I don't know if you can compare leather car seats to handbags unless you continually leave your bag in the car. Cars are subject to such extreme temperature and humidity changes wheras handbags are usually kept in the home with a consistant environment.

fabgal

Oct 15, 2010
Most of the finishes of the Coach leather bags do not need conditioning, perhaps the tumbled leather once in a while but they should all be fine without any maintenance.

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
Naturally you don't want to over-condition a bag, I have come across that phenomenon with some of my rehab projects. Sometimes a whitish waxy residue appears on the surface of the bags or collects along the seams and creases - and it can be a pain to remove! On the other hand, you should try to protect and take good care of beautiful, expensive, leather products if you want them to last and look as good as new!

One time, at the end of winter, I put away a much-loved bag that I would not be wearing again until the fall. I didn't do anything to it and it looked great when I stuffed it with tissue and stored it on a shelf in my closet in its dustbag. I wasn't at all concerned about the bag's condition. But when fall finally came around and I took it out again, I was shocked to see water spots and dirty marks that had not been visible the last time I had seen it!

Happily I was able to clean, condition, and Apple garde the bag without any permanent damage, but now I try to do some gentle cleaning and conditioning before putting bags into long-term storage. I usually wipe them down with Lexol cleaning wipes and then with Lexol conditioning wipes and let them dry thoroughly before stuffing, bagging, and storing them.

The Lexol quick wipes products are light-weight, convenient, and easy to use and they work work well with most leathers. They are not thick, opaque creams so you can even use them on pebbled leathers. Months later, when I take the bag out again (or during the season while I am wearing it) if it starts to look dull, dry, or dirty, I will clean/condition it with Apple or Leather CPR conditioner.

And now that I am taking public transportation to and from work and walking in all kinds of weather, Apple Garde has become a good friend to my bags - but I don't usually treat them more than once per season. I also carry a large, drawstring plastic bag in my purse in case the weather turns ugly without warning and I suddenly need to protect my bag.

This approach has been working pretty well for me, but the public transport commute has been harder on my bags then my old life, when I used to baby my bags. In the old days they spent a lot of time on the passenger seat right next to me in the car. I have only been commuting for 6 months and so far I have lost a fancy hangtag and also discovered wear and damage on a metallic bag. :sad:

So it's usually a good idea to take good care of bags - because once they are truly damaged it can be very disappointing!

Below is the link for Lexol products, I buy the quick wipes at a local horse-riding (tack) shop:

http://www.lexol.com/solution.aspx

whateve

Authenticator
O.G.
May 10, 2010
Most of my bags are from the last few years and they all came with a card that said don't use Coach leather cleaner or moisturizer, so I assumed that meant it wasn't safe to use anything on them. They seem fine. I think only the older leather purses should be conditioned. It would be the ones where you can scratch it with your fingernail and then rub it out. I have leather seats in my car and I live in California. My car is 12 years old, the leather looks great and I have never conditioned the leather, even after cleaning. We have a leather recliner that is 25 years old and the leather started cracking about 5 years ago.

darkangel07760

metalhead
O.G.
Mar 27, 2009
Alabama
Ah, I see your point. I never thought of that esp. since I don't drive and the car we have does not have leather seats :smile:.
Leather seats are phoeey in the summer... they get so hot if I don't cover them with a towel! :smile:

LOL - my dad always had me take care of the leather seats in various used cars over the years - that is where I learned what little I know about leather! Several coats of Lexol will do wonders on the carseats, even if they have already started to look cracked - it softens the edges of the cracks and can make the lines almost invisible. I wonder if blackrock might do wonders as well.

I try to give all my bags (and leather shoes) a very light coat of the correct conditioner every 9-12 months, more often if I wear them a lot and in the places where oils are the worst (handles, where your arm rests against a shoulder bag.) Sweat and pressure are a lethal combo for leather, so if it is hot I try to wipe the bag down with a damp cloth before storing it again.
Hm. Lexol. I will get some for my car seats. It is cracked from me getting in and out... I recently have lowered the seat so that I don't bump into the side of the seat as I get in, hard to explain but I hope that helps against the cracking!
Good tip about the sweating and the oils part.

I baby my leather bags and pay close attention to care instructions. However, my leather bags only need to be cleaned with damp cloth.

I do own a bottle of Coach Leather Moisturzier and was told it is much gentler than Coach Leather Cleaner. Perhaps I will get other leather bags which need leather moisturizer someday.
Thank you for the info!

I also don't put anything on my leather bags and they seem to age fine. I also live in CA. I don't know if you can compare leather car seats to handbags unless you continually leave your bag in the car. Cars are subject to such extreme temperature and humidity changes wheras handbags are usually kept in the home with a consistant environment.
Luckily I do not leave them in my car, but I was thinking about the dryness of California compared to my home state of New Jersey, but if you aren't having an issue, then I probably won't either. Thanks! :smile:

Most of the finishes of the Coach leather bags do not need conditioning, perhaps the tumbled leather once in a while but they should all be fine without any maintenance.
Thank you!

Naturally you don't want to over-condition a bag, I have come across that phenomenon with some of my rehab projects. Sometimes a whitish waxy residue appears on the surface of the bags or collects along the seams and creases - and it can be a pain to remove! On the other hand, you should try to protect and take good care of beautiful, expensive, leather products if you want them to last and look as good as new!

One time, at the end of winter, I put away a much-loved bag that I would not be wearing again until the fall. I didn't do anything to it and it looked great when I stuffed it with tissue and stored it on a shelf in my closet in its dustbag. I wasn't at all concerned about the bag's condition. But when fall finally came around and I took it out again, I was shocked to see water spots and dirty marks that had not been visible the last time I had seen it!

Happily I was able to clean, condition, and Apple garde the bag without any permanent damage, but now I try to do some gentle cleaning and conditioning before putting bags into long-term storage. I usually wipe them down with Lexol cleaning wipes and then with Lexol conditioning wipes and let them dry thoroughly before stuffing, bagging, and storing them.

The Lexol quick wipes products are light-weight, convenient, and easy to use and they work work well with most leathers. They are not thick, opaque creams so you can even use them on pebbled leathers. Months later, when I take the bag out again (or during the season while I am wearing it) if it starts to look dull, dry, or dirty, I will clean/condition it with Apple or Leather CPR conditioner.

And now that I am taking public transportation to and from work and walking in all kinds of weather, Apple Garde has become a good friend to my bags - but I don't usually treat them more than once per season. I also carry a large, drawstring plastic bag in my purse in case the weather turns ugly without warning and I suddenly need to protect my bag.

This approach has been working pretty well for me, but the public transport commute has been harder on my bags then my old life, when I used to baby my bags. In the old days they spent a lot of time on the passenger seat right next to me in the car. I have only been commuting for 6 months and so far I have lost a fancy hangtag and also discovered wear and damage on a metallic bag. :sad:

So it's usually a good idea to take good care of bags - because once they are truly damaged it can be very disappointing!

Below is the link for Lexol products, I buy the quick wipes at a local horse-riding (tack) shop:

http://www.lexol.com/solution.aspx
I think I am over conditioning my bags. I have been doing it about once every two months or so after I carried it for a bit and then before I put it back in its dustbag. I have not seen any residue, but I also make sure to rub it in real well and wipe off the excess.

:smile:

Most of my bags are from the last few years and they all came with a card that said don't use Coach leather cleaner or moisturizer, so I assumed that meant it wasn't safe to use anything on them. They seem fine. I think only the older leather purses should be conditioned. It would be the ones where you can scratch it with your fingernail and then rub it out. I have leather seats in my car and I live in California. My car is 12 years old, the leather looks great and I have never conditioned the leather, even after cleaning. We have a leather recliner that is 25 years old and the leather started cracking about 5 years ago.
My car seats are cracking, and we have a leather couch that we have NEVER conditioned, and it is fine.
Funny how that is!

whateve

Authenticator
O.G.
May 10, 2010
My car seats are cracking, and we have a leather couch that we have NEVER conditioned, and it is fine.
Funny how that is!
Maybe because your car gets exposed to temperature extremes and your couch doesn't? Do you park your car in the sun?