Home & Garden caring for black granite and marble

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
We looked at a home yesterday. It's been recently remodeled. The kitchen and master bath have black granite counters. The master bath has black marble on the floor (large room) and the walls of the shower.
This wouldn't be my first choice for décor but the house in general is nice and has gorgeous wood floors.

Is the black stone going to be hard to care for? Is everything going to show on it?

thanks for any advice

My best friend has black granite, hers is sparkles like crazy and beautiful (I think her granite is called black galaxy), but fingerprints and light dust shows everywhere under direct sunlight (she has a teenager and 3 y.o). I personally always picky about fingerprints marks but I say if you can maintain stainless steel refrigerator you can maintain black granite.

My best friend has black granite, hers is sparkles like crazy and beautiful (I think her granite is called black galaxy), but fingerprints and light dust shows everywhere under direct sunlight (she has a teenager and 3 y.o). I personally always picky about fingerprints marks but I say if you can maintain stainless steel refrigerator you can maintain black granite.
thanks
I'm not a meticulous housekeeper so I guess it may depend on how much sun shines on the counters :smile:

Yes! It shows everything. EV.ERY.THING! lol! It's no problem caring for, but you'll have to wipe it clean several times/daily. 409 makes an easy granite spray.

I have black granite in my kitchen. No problem whatsoever. I don't find it shows any more than any other type of granite. My granite is not just solid black though (it has some details in it with other colors).

Don't know about marble but I"m gonna guess its fine too.

Good luck!

I found it more high maintenance personally - fingerprints and dust, we've had probably 4-5 different colors of granite. I thought it was beautiful and no higher maintenance to care for though. I'd definitely not decide against a home because of it.
It's kind of like having dark hardwoods, lol!

I live in California and we have hard water which shows up on black galaxy (the counters I have) as stains. It's not that easy to get the stains out but otherwise not a big deal to maintain. The 409 spray mentioned is great for granite!

Oh yea, I had a ring that was impossible to remove after a beautiful poinsettia sat there all winter season :sad: annoyed the crud out of me.

I had a light carrara marble in my kitchen and bathrooms and I loved it. Black marble doesn't sound very appealing to me and would probably show a lot but if you don't mind it I'm sure it would be fine. I'm the only person who doesn't like granite apparently but it wears well.

Are the floors in the bathroom heated? That's a must unless you live somewhere very warm.

I had a light carrara marble in my kitchen and bathrooms and I loved it. Black marble doesn't sound very appealing to me and would probably show a lot but if you don't mind it I'm sure it would be fine. I'm the only person who doesn't like granite apparently but it wears well.

Are the floors in the bathroom heated? That's a must unless you live somewhere very warm.
not heated that I'm aware of but we're in So Cal so I think with a couple of rugs, it would be fine....and in summer it would be a benefit

I have black granite counters in my kitchen and master bath. LOVE it.

It's very easy to take care of. I just spritz it down with Weiman granite cleaner and wipe with a cloth and it shines like crazy.

We are on a well with hard water and don't have any issues with spotting or staining.

Don't be afraid ;)